Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:00 am

I think that Death penalty should be used as little as possible. If can, not use it at all. For example a man goes on a rampage and kills a few people. He, IMO should be locked up in the solitary confinement for a long time. But executing him is like a preset. It's the easy way. If you execute him, he won't suffer for what he did. Let him rot in horrid conditions.

In case of mass murderes like Hitler, I think Death Penalty is okay because those guys are usually too risky to keep alive for long.

What is your views on Death Penalty?

Edit: Wait, now I have been thinking about that a little more. Sure, I still think taking lives is wrong. But, prisoners that aren't executed do their time and quite a few don't change their ways after they are out (ergo, new prisoners are added every day and old ones get busted again and again - or just roam the streets with their crimes). So, that means prisons fail at reducing the number of criminals.

Last edited by Chummy on 03 Jun 2011, 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:05 am

Is your goal

Prevention of further damage

Reconstruction of a damaged person

Retribution

??

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:05 am

no one has the right to decide whether a life is valid.
it can be correct to remove a person from the free world, but it is never correct to remove their life from them.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:16 am

Chummy wrote:
I think that Death penalty should be used as little as possible. If can, not use it at all. For example a man goes on a rampage and kills a few people. He, IMO should be locked up in the solitary confinement for a long time. But executing him is like a preset. It's the easy way. If you execute him, he won't suffer for what he did. Let him rot in horrid conditions.

In case of mass murderes like Hitler, I think Death Penalty is okay because those guys are usually too risky to keep alive for long.

What is your views on Death Penalty?

In the case of mass murderers like Hitler they ought to be thrown in a massive vat of rabid gerbils for a week and then boiled in oil prior to being incinerated.

Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:20 am

I am against the death penalty.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:24 am

b9 wrote:
no one has the right to decide whether a life is valid.
it can be correct to remove a person from the free world, but it is never correct to remove their life from them.

Consider the case that sometimes it is impossible to avoid doing something wrong.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:26 am

I like the death penalty in principle. In practice, however, it doesn't get applied evenhandedly.

If the frequency of executions by race seem unfair, check out the application of the death penalty for murder based on the race of the victim.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:56 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
I like the death penalty in principle. In practice, however, it doesn't get applied evenhandedly.

If the frequency of executions by race seem unfair, check out the application of the death penalty for murder based on the race of the victim.

Yeah, unfortunately unjust judges have been a malady upon humanity for millennia. In light of that, perhaps capital punishment should not be considered except for extremely clear cut cases. Haphazard executions lead to the death of the innocent as often as they might lead to the death of those actually guilty of capital crimes (such as murder and rape ought to be). There needs to be no question about the certainty of the evidence in the case of capital crimes.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 12:41 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately unjust judges have been a malady upon humanity for millennia. In light of that, perhaps capital punishment should not be considered except for extremely clear cut cases. Haphazard executions lead to the death of the innocent as often as they might lead to the death of those actually guilty of capital crimes (such as murder and rape ought to be). There needs to be no question about the certainty of the evidence in the case of capital crimes.

There is no such thing as certain evidence. Any circumstance could admit an alternative explanation even if implausible.

ruveyn

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:43 pm

A Short Film About Death. Watch it.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:46 pm

I oppose the Death Penalty, it costs much more to administer than life imprisonment, when it's applied the cases very infrequently are nearly certain enough to come anywhere near to justifying a life taking, and it sets a bad pattern of brutuality throughout the culture.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:47 pm

ruveyn wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

There is no such thing as certain evidence. Any circumstance could admit an alternative explanation even if implausible.

ruveyn

Certainly.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:07 pm

Master Pedant:

"it costs much more to administer than life imprisonment"

Unless you mean moral cost, surely it does not NEED to? "Take this man outside and dispose of him" Or are you figuring in productive work the prisoner may be compelled to do?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:16 pm

I have a wonderful idea, let's give the state the power to kill. Cause whenever the state earns a new power it always uses it for good.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:19 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
I have a wonderful idea, let's give the state the power to kill. Cause whenever the state earns a new power it always uses it for good.

Where you BEEN the past 5000 years?

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:19 pm

I disagree with the death penalty.

I don't disagree with the death penalty because I think that no one has a right to take a life per-say, but because I think if someone has done something bad enough to warrant a death penalty then it's a MUCH harsher punishment not to put them out of their misery by putting them to death. I'd rather see some mass murdered locked up for life, their freedoms removed, or them contributing in some way by working behind bars or helping us understand what makes a person 'evil', and that they should have to live with what they've done - I think putting someone to death is just an easy way out for them, it is not a punishment but an end.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.