Page 355 of 413 [ 6595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 ... 413  Next

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 8:00 pm

Tales of the Unexpected, Episode 1 'The Man From The South' (1979)

I've just acquired a boxset of all 112 episodes of this UK television series written by Roald Dahl and transmitted from 1979 to 1988. The stories are just under 25 minutes long, so it's almost impossible to get bored, and this one was very watchable and entertaining. Stars Pamela ('Mrs Billy Connolly') Stephenson at the beginning of her career, also Jose Ferrer, whom I recall seeing as Toulouse Lautrec in an early 1950s film called Moulin Rouge.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 8:29 pm

Binged The Last Enemy (2008)

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2023, 5:35 pm

The Last of Us

Season 1, Episode 1 - When You're Lost in the Darkness

Very good. Opens with Silicon Valley's Big Head interviewing two scientists with opposing points of view. It wasn't Big Head. It was the actor, but I see him as Big Head, but with "adult" hair. When society falls apart (spoiler), I found it both annoying and stressful because Mobs do that for me.

After episode 1, I switched to episode 21 of season 1 of Young Sheldon. That's a 180 surreal moment.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 8:08 am

I started watching Hotel Portofino. It is pretty good, nice escapism from the gloomy time we now live in. Although I suppose that's ironic considering it is set just after WWI and some of the characters have war wounds!]]

But it's just nice to see warm sunny Italian weather tbh.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 5:53 pm

The Power Game, Series 1, Episode 10 (1966)

Kenneth Bligh continues to strengthen his position against that of Sir John Wilder, while the latter is preoccupied with rebuilding his relationship with his wife Pamela. Wilder at least has the consolation of knowing that Pamela has terminated her relationship with Frank Hagedan, on his insistence.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 5:55 pm

Tales Of The Unexpected (1979)

The second episode of the first series. A mildly entertaining story involving a dentist, his wife, and a mink coat!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 7:41 pm

The Bad Batch.
The Last Of Us.
Kolshak: The Night Stalker.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 3:08 pm

Finished watching Young Sheldon on HBOMax.
I left off at the end of season 5.
Season 6 is the current season.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 4:38 pm

The Handmaid's Tale season 4.

Nice to finally catch up on this.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 5:32 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kolchak: The Night Stalker.
:thumright: Fun series!

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 8:24 pm

The Power Game, Series 1, Episodes 11 & 12 (1966)

Sir John Wilder schemes to get his company chairman, Caswell Bligh, to resign from the National Export Board. He appears to be successful in this, but such is the complexity of the plot that I wasn't entirely sure at the end of episode 11 whether Bligh was still a member of the Board or not.

Susan Weldon to Wilder: "I don't know how you get any work done at Bligh's, you're all too busy trying to manipulate one another".

That's what I wonder with every episode of this show I watch. How can the company even stay in business when its three main executives devote most of their energy to trying to destroy each other?

Episode 12: Kenneth Bligh takes steps to be selected as a candidate for the Conservative Party at the next election. Wilder trawls through the company accounts from the 1940s to try to find something to discredit Caswell Bligh. Wilder's dogsbody, Don Henderson, is on the verge of leaving because he's fed up of being treated like...a dogsbody.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... h/dogsbody

An interesting fact is that there was a four month gap between the transmission of episodes 11 and 12. This was because the British Prime Minister Harold Wilson had called a general election just after episode 11 in February 1966, and the TV company was anxious not to broadcast anything with a political content in such a situation, when the governing Labour Party had a majority of just three seats in the House of Commons.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 8:12 pm

Kolchak: The Night Stalker.
The Last Of Us.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 8:21 pm

Still Game (2002)

A long-running Scottish comedy series about old-age pensioners which started in the early 2000s. Looks to me like a cruder version of 'Last Of The Summer Wine', with lots of swearing and innuendo. Interesting that it has a '12' age certificate - that probably says something about today's society, LOL.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 8:23 pm

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 8:34 pm

Tales Of The Unexpected (1979)

An episode called 'William and Mary'. There's a reference there to British 17th Century history, for those in the know....

A Cambridge academic dies in hospital, and his consultant keeps his brain alive in a box. The academic's wife then takes the box back home and torments the poor old brain, as the hubby had made her life a misery with his controlling behaviour.

It's a good job these episodes are only 24 minutes long - I doubt whether they'd work otherwise!

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 4:51 am

I’m watching season one of Supernatural. The stories are good but there isn’t anything to compel me to keep watching. It needs a larger cast of regulars and more complex interactions, and more of a multi episode story arc. It went 15 seasons so it must be good, right?