Page 354 of 410 [ 6546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357 ... 410  Next

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 1:49 pm

We recently completed watching the first season of:

Astrid et Raphaëlle [2019–?].
AstridIt is in French but one of our local stations broadcast it with English subtitles.

It is about an Autistic woman, "Astrid Nielsen" (played by Sara Mortensen), who works in the judicial police's library. It turns out her memory and ability to analyze data is useful in solving difficult cases.

We've enjoyed it. We hope the station will broadcast the later seasons.

P.S. I am not qualified to assess whether the portrayal of Autism is correct. However, Astrid's Autism traits appear to me to be stronger than the traits in Sonya Cross in The Bridge.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 2:03 pm

Double Retired wrote:

AstridIt is in French but one of our local stations broadcast it with English subtitles.

It is about an Autistic woman, "Astrid Nielsen" (played by Sara Mortensen), who works in the judicial police's library. It turns out her memory and ability to analyze data is useful in solving difficult cases.

P.S. I am not qualified to assess whether the portrayal of Autism is correct. However, Astrid's Autism traits appear to me to be stronger than the traits in Sonya Cross in The Bridge.

This sounds interesting, not just because of the Autism aspect, but also because the genre is interesting.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 2:33 pm

DeepHour wrote:

Here are the opening titles for 'The Power Game'. Note the dramatic and grandiose fanfare-type music for the male characters, which gives way to dreamy violins for the females. Rosemary Leach's fluttering eyelids are quite funny too.

OMG. Wow. This really makes 1966 feel old but it feels more like the '50s or early '60s in term of the social attitudes and gender expectations.
When it finished watching, I clicked on a link presented by YouTube to the series 2 opening credits. They've made it more youthful and hip. It feels more like the '60s.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 5:20 pm

pcgoblin wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

/\/\/\/\/\.
/\/\/\/\/\.
/\/\/\/\/\.
P.S. I am not qualified to assess whether the portrayal of Autism is correct. However, Astrid's Autism traits appear to me to be stronger than the traits in Sonya Cross in The Bridge.

This sounds interesting, not just because of the Autism aspect, but also because the genre is interesting.

It was on the local PBS stations so check your local PBS listings. (Note: They listed the show simply as Astrid.) Our stations have completed broadcasting Season 1 and their listings don't currently show any sign of rebroadcast or Season 2.

It was interesting...and entertaining. And, unlike my bride, I'm generally not even a fan of crime-solving dramas—though I admit to having also enjoyed The Bridge [2013–2014]  and Professor T. [2015–2018].

That's The Bridge [2013–2014] which is set on the U.S./Mexico border and which also has a lead character who is Autistic, not to be confused with other, related shows. And Professor T. [2015–2018], originally broadcast in Belgium and which also has a lead character who has some mental issues other than Autism, not to be confused with other related shows.

P.S. I asked my bride whether Astrid and I shared any Autistic traits. My bride replied "literalness"...which I re-characterized as "accuracy".

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 5:24 pm

Last night's episode of Fire Country.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 10:32 am

pcgoblin wrote:

OMG. Wow. This really makes 1966 feel old but it feels more like the '50s or early '60s in term of the social attitudes and gender expectations.
When it finished watching, I clicked on a link presented by YouTube to the series 2 opening credits. They've made it more youthful and hip. It feels more like the '60s.

That's interesting - I was unaware of the more jazzed up start, but then again, I've never watched any series 2 episodes.

By the way, Patrick Wymark also plays John Wilder in an early 1960s series called The Plane Makers, to which The Power Game was the sequel. I've acquired most of the episodes on dvd and will be watching them in due course.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 12:38 pm

Robin of Sherwood ep 1. That 80s feel also that soundtrack.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 4:08 pm

Double Retired wrote:

I just found this airs on PBS. I noticed it airs Sunday nights at 10:00 (in Iowa, US). I looked it up, and found they also stream it.

PBS - Astrid - Season 1

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 5:39 pm

pcgoblin wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

I just found this airs on PBS. I noticed it airs Sunday nights at 10:00 (in Iowa, US). I looked it up, and found they also stream it.

PBS - Astrid - Season 1
It is: ***RECOMMENDED***

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 5:52 pm

Ginny & Georgia. Heavy stuff.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 6:58 pm

Double Retired wrote:
pcgoblin wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

PBS - Astrid - Season 1
It is: ***RECOMMENDED***

I just finished the first episode. It was very enjoyable. I look forward to watching the rest of the series. Because I need to read the subtitles, I need to set aside time where I can concentrate on the show. Normally, I am writing, playing a game, programming, or researching. I can do that with shows that are in English.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 2:41 pm

The Power Game, Series 1 Episode 8 (1966).

The best episode yet in the series. Pamela Wilder's affair with her husband's chief engineer Frank Hagedan seems to be common knowledge to almost everyone at Bligh Construction and at the National Export Board, but incredibly Sir John Wilder is the last person to find out. When he eventually does, Frank's days at the company are inevitably numbered, but he gives as good as he gets from Wilder in the showdown.

Some quotes that I liked:

Caswell Bligh to Pamela Wilder: "I've been trying to size you up, Pamela, whether you're the sort of woman to whom one can be blunt, or whether one would have to be....circumlocutory." LOL.

Frank Hagedan to Don Henderson (Wilding's personal assistant): "As Santa Claus said to the turkey, 'Get stuffed!'."

Sir John Wilder to Hagedan: "Don't bite the hand that gives you the golden handshake".

I also liked Wilder's quote from an earlier episode: "Why become a politician when you can buy one for twopence?".

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 12:12 pm

The Patient.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 8:39 pm

Night Court (2023)
Season 1, episode 4 - Dan V Dating

A woman flirts with Dan and Judge Abby Stone convinces him to ask her out, which he says he will, but doesn't. Dan has changed. He is no longer the skirt chaser he use to be. Funny episode with a funny twist.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 4:10 pm

The Power Game, Series 1 Episode 9 (1966).

Not an easy episode to follow, with some complicated issues and manoeuvring at the National Export Board being involved, as well as some murky business at Bligh Construction centring on a project in North Africa. Wilder and Caswell Bligh are up to their necks in all of this of course, being key players in both organizations.

Unusually, Wilder is outplayed here by his fellow joint-managing director Kenneth Bligh, who usually plays second fiddle both to Wilder and to his father Caswell, the company chairman. Wilder is on the one hand miffed about this, but on the other hand is impressed at the way Kenneth is picking up a few tricks of the trade.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 1:36 pm

Finished my multi-day, maybe week (???), binge of The Big Bang Theory.

Now I'm starting Young Sheldon.