Page 347 of 409 [ 6532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350 ... 409  Next

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2022, 7:42 pm

Coronation Street, episodes from the later part of September 1981

Gail Tilsley's mother, Audrey Potter, turns up at her daughter's house with a black eye - she claims to have had an altercation with her boyfriend and has left him, but in fact he has thrown her out. Mike Baldwin's septuagenarian father visits Weatherfield with his latest girlfriend Sylvie, who is about 20 years younger than Mike! Brian Tilsley gets into a scuffle with a petty crook who tries to rob the filling station where he works in the evening, and discovers the next day that the man is in a coma at the local hospital.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 10:25 pm

Coronation Street, episodes from October 1981

Bad news all round for the wretched Tilsley family. Brian is informed by the police that he's to be prosecuted for injuring the robber at the filling station, and Bert receives similar news regarding his abuse of the unemployment benefit system. Mike Baldwin's business is in trouble due to the early 1980s recession, and the workers, including Ivy Tilsley, are put on a three day week.

Alf Roberts goes on a business trip to Scarborough, leaving Audrey Potter in charge of the shop. She can't be bothered to open it for large parts of the day, and also does some hairdressing for private customers on the premises. Alf is surprisingly lenient on her when he returns, and must surely have a soft spot for her...

Mike Baldwin gets his employees to try to sell his merchandise at the local street market, and pays them a surprise visit:

Elsie Tanner: 'We aven't sold anything, Mike, we might as well go ome'

Mike: 'Nil desperandum ladies, nil desperandum!'

Vera Duckworth: 'What does "nil desperandum" mean?'

Elsie: 'Latin for "Don't get your knickers in a twist"'

LOL

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 11:39 pm

Avenue 5.
Murder By Numbers.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 7:49 pm

Coronation Street, first four episodes from November 1981

Brian Tilsley's court case comes up, and thanks to a solid performance from his solicitor Mr Mulholland, he is found not guilty of assault.

Alf Roberts, falling under the influence of 'temporary' shop assistant Audrey Potter, buys himself an MGB sports car at her suggestion. It breaks down on only the second occasion he takes her out in it. Bloody British Leyland, eh...?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 6:52 pm

Coronation Street, episodes from mid-November 1981

John Spencer, the boy who was being fostered by Len and Rita Fairclough, runs away from home to escape his rowing parents, and ends up coming back to the Faircloughs. His parents then turn up, and there is a heated confrontation between them and Len.

Deirdre Barlow walks out of her job at the corner shop, fed up of having to cover for Alf Roberts and Audrey Potter, who are spending more time enjoying themselves elsewhere.

Eunice Gee's 18-year-old daughter Debbie turns up with her layabout boyfriend at Fred and Eunice's flat, hoping to be allowed to stay there - Fred is not best pleased, to say the least.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 8:09 pm

Titans.
Doom Patrol.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 6:05 pm

The Devil's Hour.
It's creeping me out. 8O

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 7:34 pm

Reno 911!

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 8:15 pm

The Victim

Another installment of the 'Armchair Thriller' series from 1978-81 in six episodes. The 14-year-old daughter of a company executive is kidnapped by a man who holds a personal grudge against the latter, and the story drags on to its conclusion through the next two and a half hours. Not great stuff, unfortunately, and yet another kidnapping plot. The IMDB reviewer who gave the episodes around 5.5 out of 10 had it about right.

Stars John Shrapnel (who?) in the male lead role, and Lorna Yabsley as his daughter.

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2022, 6:05 am

The White Lotus, s2 finale...wow.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 3:09 pm

Rick & Morty.
Family Guy.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 8:17 pm

Outlander (2014)

Watched the first 6 episode on Netflix.
It is post World War II, and a woman while on her honeymoon in Scotland, is transported back in time to 1743 Scotland. Relations are not good between England and Scotland.

During the war, she was a nurse on the front, and her knowledge comes in hand in 1743. So far no one has accused her of being a witch. :D

I've done a wretched job describing the show. It is quite good.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 5:20 pm

Coronation Street, four episodes from late November and early December 1981

Fred and Eunice Gee are still having a bad time. Alf Roberts pulled a few strings to get a job for Eunice as caretaker of the council-run community centre, which came with a nice flat for her and Fred, but council leader Ben Critchley, investigating a complaint from a member of the public, discovers that Alf did not follow the proper procedures and had no right to make the appointment on his own authority. Fred and Eunice are told told to vacate the flat, and Eunice loses her job of course.

Hilda Ogden takes a fancy to a newly built house on an upmarket estate. Stan is not keen, and shocked at the £17,000 asking price. Seriously though, that was a pretty large sum in 1981, especially for a house in the North of England.

Len Fairclough buys an empty plot of land between his own house and the Tilsleys', with the intention of building another property there. Ivy Tilsley is not best pleased.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 5:47 pm

Outlander (2014)

Episode 8 - Both Sides Now

This episode divided its time between the past (1746) and the present (1945). In the present, Claire's husband Frank is searching for her. The Scottish police are convinced that she ran off with a highlander. They have a sketch of the man. There is a lot that I am annoyed at myself about. Where did this sketch of the highlander come from? It is something I missed or forgot about? The sketch resembles Jamie, the Scotsman who exists in 1743. The other thing I'm annoyed with myself about is her husband's name is Frank Randall. In the past there is a cruel English soldier named Jack Randall. They are played by the same actor, and story-wise, they are related. How did I miss that? When she first meets Jack Randall, she mistakes him for Frank. Jack corrects the mistake, and then tries to have is way with her. Spoiler, he is fortunately interrupted. Jack Randall has qualities reminiscent of a serial killer.

The show was created by Ronald D. Moore. He is known for being one of the creators of the Battlestar Galactica reboot in 2004. He is also one of the writers. The music was composed by Bear McCreary, the composer of Battlestar.

The story writing is good, but it is definitely adult.

Just finished episode 9: The Reckoning. I am intrigued where this story is going.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 6:08 pm

Reno 911!
Murder By Numbers.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 9:43 pm

Coronation Street, four episodes from mid-December 1981

Eunice Gee walks out on Fred to take a job at Ben Critchley's hotel. Fred was also offered a job, but stubbornly refuses it, and now faces eviction from the flat. Hilda Ogden's house move collapses after the building society declines to offer the Ogdens a mortgage, owing to the fact that her layabout husband is 'self-employed' - in reality he 'works' as a window cleaner, and earns next to nothing. Deirdre Barlow feels the strain of having to put up with the moods of grumpy and ungrateful octogenarian uncle Albert, who lives with her and Ken.