Have the damndest time dealing with the lie of academia.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2011, 2:12 pm

go to school, get degree (which may be completely pointless\worthless) write grants to justify your existence, whore yourself to people who have agenda's, produce "Research" that agrees with them in order to assure future grants, become part of the ceaseless academic dishonesty, teach others, proselytize in order to justify your selling out.

I have had so many professors who are clearly incompetent, or who simply work at the school because they are whores for whatever industry they are researching for. The lie of a higher education is too much for me.

Is there a good way to deal with it?

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:13 pm

Quote:

Not really. Pick a subject that is more likely to lead to employment, keep your head down and get through it. If you want to work in academia or research I think you need to be prepared to put up with all the politics.

You might want to look into vocational courses too, if you're concerned about your degree being 'pointless'.

nolilacrima
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

It isn't just academia, the whole world is like this. The best way is just ignore it. I'm at medical school, and all I see is people pushing their inefficient drugs supported by at best questionable data to make a crap load of money off sick people. Doctor's doing what's best for them and not their patient's etc etc.

And guess what? That's life. The whole world's like that. The only choice you have is to just stop caring, and focus on what you're doing. Everyone is doing things for their own selfish reasons, so you should just look after number one (ie yourself) and just ignore everything around you. I know it's easier said than done, but that's what you have to put up with if you want to make it in this corrupt world of academia. It's not about pursuing truth and knowledge for a lot of these people, it's about money, pure and simple.

mynameisledzeppelin
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2011, 5:39 pm

That might be why I always have trouble with school, they don't offer anything that's actually beneficial to me. However, I don't really have it in me to "just look out for number one", as nolilacrima put it, which why I'll probably never fit, not that I truly want to. The only advice I can lend, is to ask yourself if you can live with it at the end of the day. If not, run for the hills.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

nolilacrima wrote:
It isn't just academia, the whole world is like this. The best way is just ignore it. I'm at medical school, and all I see is people pushing their inefficient drugs supported by at best questionable data to make a crap load of money off sick people. Doctor's doing what's best for them and not their patient's etc etc.

And guess what? That's life. The whole world's like that. The only choice you have is to just stop caring, and focus on what you're doing. Everyone is doing things for their own selfish reasons, so you should just look after number one (ie yourself) and just ignore everything around you. I know it's easier said than done, but that's what you have to put up with if you want to make it in this corrupt world of academia. It's not about pursuing truth and knowledge for a lot of these people, it's about money, pure and simple.

Ditto.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

mynameisledzeppelin wrote:
That might be why I always have trouble with school, they don't offer anything that's actually beneficial to me. However, I don't really have it in me to "just look out for number one", as nolilacrima put it, which why I'll probably never fit, not that I truly want to. The only advice I can lend, is to ask yourself if you can live with it at the end of the day. If not, run for the hills.

"Looking for number one" can take many forms though.

After a fashion, some of the priests, ministers, clerics, doctors, teachers and volunteer workers I've met are "looking out for number one;" that is, they're doing what *they've* chosen to do, which is to help others.

This sort of "looking out for number one" shouldn't be an invitation to be taken advantage of. Granted, a teacher, volunteer worker or doctor is more exposed to experiencing other people who are not at their best, but responsible volunteer workers don't, for example, house homeless persons in their own homes regularly.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 9:01 pm

Quest_techie wrote:
go to school, get degree (which may be completely pointless\worthless) write grants to justify your existence, whore yourself to people who have agenda's, produce "Research" that agrees with them in order to assure future grants, become part of the ceaseless academic dishonesty, teach others, proselytize in order to justify your selling out.

I have had so many professors who are clearly incompetent, or who simply work at the school because they are whores for whatever industry they are researching for. The lie of a higher education is too much for me.

Yes.

Suck it up, finish your degree, and get a job.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 10:45 am

Quest_techie wrote:

I don't think there is a good way to deal. This is just one more factor pushing me toward a more practical degree.

1manwolfpack
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

iv went thru the phase of dealing with the BS of academia and the american dream. i left george washington university as an undecided major and restarted at temple pursing my true passion of recording arts and music. i thought things would be smooth sailing from there, but i was wrong. i have since come to the conclusion that institutionalizing anything will automatically install a BS element in it. unfortunately we are stuck in our current form of society until we are forced to change, so you are going to have to deal with some BS to get around. excercise your freedom when you can but also learn to work the angles of societal BS

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 10:27 pm

Just go to school and keep your head down? ignore it? suck it up, get a degree and get a job? That is why it never changes, those who see the problems just want to ignore them and forget about them and do nothing.

I am getting a degree so I can fight the system that is if my mental health holds out long enough for me to do something to that effect. My advice on dealing with it would be either follow the advice I am criticizing and just forget about it.......or maybe get an education so you can maybe do something about it. I can't say how to go about that, I am still trying to figure it out myself. but that is how I deal with it.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 4:54 pm

Quest_techie wrote:

People sell out in any field because it's easy and relatively lucrative. If you don't want to stay in the ivory tower writing grants and doing "research", then don't do it. Find something else to do that is more in line with your own values, priorities and conscience.

Orannis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2011, 5:59 am

Ignore them, get a hobby, graduate, never look back.

The Cat: You must be. Or you wouldn't have come here.

Benbob
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jun 2011, 6:57 am

Quest_techie wrote:

I have had so many professors who are clearly incompetent, or who simply work at the school because they are whores for whatever industry they are researching for**. The lie of a higher education is too much for me.

Avoid the following areas then:

Agriculture**
Theology
Philosophy
Broad-but-humanities-focused degrees (AKA Starbucks PhDs)
Liberal arts
Fine arts
And any "degree" that would be more suited to night classes

Then you should be fine. Molecular ecology is great, and research is a fulfilling career. Believe it or not, many scientists teach because they love science, not because they are whoring themselves out to some kind of agency. I mean just because you don't like your current degree doesn't mean academia is a lie - it just means you chose poorly.