Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:33 am

I've had my ears pierced for about 10 years now. I've stretched to about 6 gauge and bigger and I go without them for months at a time. When I put new ones in, they get all crusty and sore.

Anything I can do to get rid of that?

And yes, I shower.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

deadinhead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:53 am

any antiseptic cream onto the ear-rings should work.thats what my pharmacist said to my sister when I went with her to get her ears peirced.hope that helps.

COCONUT-MOON TURTLE!

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:53 am

I had this idea that if I got some hygienic wipes like the moist towelettes only anti-this or that that might help.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 11:00 am

titanium?

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 11:07 am

they're acrylic.

I'd love me some Ti.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 11:15 am

titanium is hypoallergenic, you'd probably get less problems

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 11:43 am

here'e something else interesting:

4 years ago, I was up to a 7/16 and I've had them in on and off. Wow, that's too many prepositions for one sentence.

Anyhoo, The gauge goes down every time I leave them out for a while.

I want to get to maybe 4 or 2 and then stay there. Not even sure what gauge I am now. 6, I think.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jun 2011, 1:18 pm

A lot of experience here....

As far as the material, I agree that pure titanium is BEST! Acrylic or 316L surgical steel is good too, but they're not quite as hypo-allergenic as titanium. And watch out for "titanium" jewelry, that doesn't specify "PURE 100%". Most of it is titanium electroplated, which is useless. Part of the reason why titanium is a must, for big gauges, is that in addition to being biologically hypoallergenic, it is light as a feather, and the weight of the plugs (or rings) in other materials will exacerbate or even cause problems.

It's normal when stretching; particularly from the 6g-00g range, to have soreness and rupturing with a new healing process setting in. The skin and tissue actually have to rip and heal to accommodate the bigger size. Once you get past 00g and move up to 24mm where mine are, it won't do that so much. Mine will shrink a little overnight if they're empty, but as soon as I take a hot shower, I have no problem reinserting the plugs.

I know we're talking gauged ears here, but I should mention also that titanium is A MUST for nipple piercings. Many people will tell you that acrylic, niobium, or 316L is fine, but trust me; you want titanium. It's costly; 2 or 3 times the cost of other materials, but just consider it a necessity if you're going to pierce anything.

Charles