People Saying you are Attractive but Know You Are Not

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 5:49 pm

I will be doing something random like picking weeds, doing a research paper, or licking stamps and then a family member will give me this funny look and say, "You're beautiful, you know that?"

And then, I pause from my duties and lift up the skeptical eyebrow. If I was so attractive then why was I never asked out for a date? Why did I not ever have a person have a crush on me my whole entire life?

My peers sneered, "There's your [boy/girl]friend" to their friends as if I was the perfect specimen of what is unattractive. I am not stupid. I put the pieces together, and I know I am not attractive. I have accepted this and decided to move on. Yet my family just has to bring it up.

Why does my family just blurt it out of the blue like that? Do they feel sorry for me? Why are they freaking lying to me right in my face when I am not doing anything to call attention to myself? Has anyone else experienced this?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 5:59 pm

Family is partial. They may really think you're beautiful. Besides, beauty and attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder.

I do know what you mean, though. I'm not that attractive but people keep telling me I am. I don't get it.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 6:03 pm

The only place i get called good looking is on here?

The only other compliment i get is that i am cute. and i get that from everyone.

So I'm never in a rush

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 6:04 pm

I know the feeling. I think this every time, and its always the same people that say it too.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 6:08 pm

If someone calls me beautiful, I am inclined to believe them. Who am I to argue?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 6:10 pm

There are only two kinds of people that call me "Attractive": (1) Family/Relatives, and (2) people with something to sell.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 6:12 pm

Only much older women call me attractive or handsome.

Quote:
Why did I not ever have a person have a crush on me my whole entire life?

umm....I ask myself the same question every time I receive a such compliment.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 7:22 pm

A person can look beautiful without being "attractive" in the romantic or sexual meaning. Your family probably loves you and are trying to tell you but are using the wrong words. Maybe you can explain how its confusing you and they could find another way to say it that gets through better.

I have had people tell me I look beautiful or great or some other way that is the exact opposite of what I feel I look. Beauty is really in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 8:46 pm

My family tells me when I've gained or lost weight. They tell me I look nice when I think I look hideous. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder? You're probably being too hard on yourself.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I've dated some truly ugly people (sorry, but they are) only while in love/infatuated with them they were very attractive, and family will always think you're beautiful...although no one in my family ever called me pretty or beautiful. If no one has had a crush on you or dated you that doesn't mean they're wrong in thinking you're beautiful, it doesn't mean you're not attractive either.

Having body dysmophic disorder means I have no idea what I look like - I could be ugly or I could be beautiful, I honestly have no idea - people's negative and positive comments just confuse matters, so I do get VERY mad when anyone tells me I'm attractive, it doesn't help me and if I'm having a day where I look ugly in the mirror I take that compliment as a lie...and I dislike being lied to!

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 9:30 pm

Beauty isnt' in the eye of the beholder. Some are just beyond hope. I've learned long ago that God, indeed, does make junk.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 11:31 pm

Brianruns10 wrote:
Beauty isnt' in the eye of the beholder. Some are just beyond hope. I've learned long ago that God, indeed, does make junk.

um yes it is. There is bound to be someone out there who finds this "junk" beautiful.

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2011, 12:59 am

I think some people discount themselves too much. I know in the past that I've found some people very attractive who didn't believe they were.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 2:05 am

Moog wrote:
If someone calls me beautiful, I am inclined to believe them. Who am I to argue?

... and you are. for real.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 2:08 am

hyperlexian wrote:
Moog wrote:

... and you are. for real.

*nods in agreement*

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 2:54 am

Lucky for me, my family was never into that kind of thing. They did do it when I was younger, yes, but even though I find myself quite unappealing to the eye, plus the fact that I am large and brutish looking, I have to say that if I see pictures of myself from that time, I even have to admit myself that I was a rather cute looking boy at around ages 7 to 12: lean, slightly darker complexion, almond shaped big brown eyes, bright blond hair... yup, I was a cute kid. Sadly, except for the colour of my eyes, I have not retained a single one of these attributes.
I sometimes get compliments for some... random stuff by some of my female friends, and I absolutely HATE it, because first of all, I know that I'm not pretty (I would not go so far and say that I am ugly, I just look... weird), and I don't know what to say about such a thing. Saying thanks means I acknowledge the compliment to some point, which simply is not true, and saying anything else or nothing at all seems rude.