Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

"Let's inspire each other!", she said.

Which brought me to this:

Is anyone within reach of my signal up on 'pataphysique?

If so your opinion and why, and your reading of the alleged pun?

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 8:35 pm

Umm...............

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 9:26 pm

"on the truth of contradictions and exceptions"
They are also truth. And so vice versa....

Or you only used it as a pun???

What do you think about inspiration????
creative force or influence. person etc. stimulating creatvity..
Umm..sudden brilliant idea..
Above is definitions(abridged by me) from Oxford English Dictionary. I only mean so.

Am I caused you misunderstanding as "Devine influence, esp. on writing and Scripture,etc"?
I never mean so...

How can I talk about devine things... It is so serious.I can never talk so. Probably can write.

And I am also surprised about even nobody replies about the Franch Revolution.

Philologos wrote:
"Let's inspire each other!", she said.

Which brought me to this:

Is anyone within reach of my signal up on 'pataphysique?

If so your opinion and why, and your reading of the alleged pun?

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 9:33 pm

Sorry..I just found the post and I know exactly what happens now.

Probably I just lack of the so-called sense of humour to understand the post. I can interpret it seriously but it may just wasting my time...

I am going back to my work now..Sorry for sound a little bit vulgar

Good night.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 9:41 pm

Long ago, in another century, I knew a strange person who talked about 'pataphysique, telling us over and over that the apostrophe in the name is there "to avoid a pun" - a French pun.

I suspect the combo of metaphysics and French brough it to mind, thought I would see if anyone has anything.

The influence is mostly in jogging it into my mind.

As for the French Revolution, I know rather little aside from some of the messy aftermath.

Don't let it bother you though - a lot of started topics go nowhere. Some of the longest running are the least serious and the most acrimonious.

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 9:48 pm

Thank you,for you are not teasing me

I thought it was absolutely something else...

I really like it, sometimes I do so as well, it is so interesting especially for nobody else can understand it without your explanation.

Or probably the love of your life (a little bit vulgar, I am cynical now, sorry, we need a more beautiful phrase, but I don't mean bad things) could understand it.

Yes, I can understand.Thank you for tell me about that :wink:

Good night....

Philologos wrote:
Long ago, in another century, I knew a strange person who talked about 'pataphysique, telling us over and over that the apostrophe in the name is there "to avoid a pun" - a French pun.

I suspect the combo of metaphysics and French brough it to mind, thought I would see if anyone has anything.

The influence is mostly in jogging it into my mind.

As for the French Revolution, I know rather little aside from some of the messy aftermath.

Don't let it bother you though - a lot of started topics go nowhere. Some of the longest running are the least serious and the most acrimonious.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 9:58 pm

Philologos, do you have anything better to do than to torment people? I mean, I hope I don't seem offensive, but metaphysics could even be a non-native speaker given that she is posting from the "orient" according to her side-tab, and so, us native speakers have enough difficulty untangling what you are trying to say, Philologos. Why torment the non-native speakers?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:02 pm

And a good night to you.

I rarely tease without serious provocation, though I will joke with a few like-humored people.

My life associate would NOT be able to speak to 'pataphysique. It is I suspect one of those things of which they say "you had to be there". It may even be a joke of the type I have pulled sometimes.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

Philologos wrote:
And a good night to you.

I rarely tease without serious provocation, though I will joke with a few like-humored people.

My life associate would NOT be able to speak to 'pataphysique. It is I suspect one of those things of which they say "you had to be there". It may even be a joke of the type I have pulled sometimes.

I figured that teasing you would be the best thing in this case.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm

well......i met a physician once who said le pata physeqe la revolution francais, which i took to mean -- nobody expects the french revolution. i said, don't you mean spanish inquisition to which he replied, i was speaking metaphysically, unless you think i'm monthy python. alas, my life associate is able only to howl woof woof woof
BUT he has a friend, a poodle, who says weef weef weef, a survivor perhaps ,reincarnated, of the revolution. the franch disaster.

as for torment, i enjoy it.. perhaps i too have some french revolution embedded in my soul. weef,weef,weef.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:56 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Philologos, do you have anything better to do than to torment people? I mean, I hope I don't seem offensive, but metaphysics could even be a non-native speaker given that she is posting from the "orient" according to her side-tab, and so, us native speakers have enough difficulty untangling what you are trying to say, Philologos. Why torment the non-native speakers?

Especially when he throws in a relatively obscure French word:

'Pataphysics (French: 'pataphysique) is a philosophy dedicated to studying what lies beyond the realm of metaphysics. The term was coined and the concept created by French writer Alfred Jarry (1873–1907), who defined 'pataphysics as "the science of imaginary solutions, which symbolically attributes the properties of objects, described by their virtuality, to their lineaments." Jarry considered Hippocrates of Chios and Sophrotatos the Armenian as the fathers of this "science". A practitioner of 'pataphysics is a 'pataphysician or a 'pataphysicist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'Pataphysics

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 11:31 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:

TORMENT?

metaphysics yes is either a nonAnglophone or a tremendously good imitation.

WHICH is why in addressing her I speak maximally in clear, without some of the shorcuts encodings and folderols I might throw at you, given that until now I thought you had the comand of Anglic that ought to go with YOUR level of to me at times rather difficult prose.

I talk as best I can. I have been misunderstood by somew of the best, usually first language Anglics, much more rarely by those of alien speech.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 11:44 pm

Umm... I might use jargon, I might get more technical, and I might even misspeak, but I do not consider our proses similar in difficulty. The causes are different. My speech is often relatively literal and direct, while yours is very much not.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 11:44 pm

i assume this is not what she meant when she said "let's inspire each other", but i could be wrong.