Does anyone have religious beliefs viewed as odd by others?

Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Skeith
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 9 Dec 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 128

14 Dec 2011, 10:59 pm

TheKing wrote:
Skeith wrote:
TheKing wrote:
Skeith wrote:
im a athiest in a cathlic and lutherian based family. so most of my family thinks my veiws are weird and extreme. XD im not even allowed to tell my youngest sibling that i am one.


i was born in a Catholic family but my mom is understanding and she supports me in my beliefs because its what i decided to believe in, hell my mom bought me the books The Quotable Atheist, and The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, my grandma however claims most of my family is going to hell

my step mom told me that my beliefs were wrong, tried to force me though a communion i didn't even know what i was till i got into 6th grade public shool and asked my teacher what a person who doesn't believe in god was called. before then i went to a private lutherian school where admittingly i was kinda afraid to ask what it was for some reason. amazing what some people will do for religion.


yeah my immediate family thinks its wrong to force your beliefs on someone else, let them come to their own conclusions on life and love them all the same i became atheist after my grandma convinced me to read the bible and after i read it i realized it was BS and it didnt make sense how it can fool so many people so my thoughts are that most religious people have never read the bible, because if you take your morals and ethics from the bible you need to re-evaluate your morals and ethics, i take mine from the secular beliefs of equality, and from science, human nature, and animal nature.

your family is wise not to force them on others. and agreed. though i had to read it for class. personally i don't think i would have read it if i was left to my own devices when i was growing up.



TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,100
Location: Merced, California

15 Dec 2011, 12:46 am

Skeith wrote:
TheKing wrote:
Skeith wrote:
TheKing wrote:
Skeith wrote:
im a athiest in a cathlic and lutherian based family. so most of my family thinks my veiws are weird and extreme. XD im not even allowed to tell my youngest sibling that i am one.


i was born in a Catholic family but my mom is understanding and she supports me in my beliefs because its what i decided to believe in, hell my mom bought me the books The Quotable Atheist, and The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, my grandma however claims most of my family is going to hell

my step mom told me that my beliefs were wrong, tried to force me though a communion i didn't even know what i was till i got into 6th grade public shool and asked my teacher what a person who doesn't believe in god was called. before then i went to a private lutherian school where admittingly i was kinda afraid to ask what it was for some reason. amazing what some people will do for religion.


yeah my immediate family thinks its wrong to force your beliefs on someone else, let them come to their own conclusions on life and love them all the same i became atheist after my grandma convinced me to read the bible and after i read it i realized it was BS and it didnt make sense how it can fool so many people so my thoughts are that most religious people have never read the bible, because if you take your morals and ethics from the bible you need to re-evaluate your morals and ethics, i take mine from the secular beliefs of equality, and from science, human nature, and animal nature.

your family is wise not to force them on others. and agreed. though i had to read it for class. personally i don't think i would have read it if i was left to my own devices when i was growing up.


learn from your parents mistakes and when you have kids accept and support their beliefs even if you don't hold them, that's the best thing you can do


_________________
WP Strident Atheist
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.


Candles15
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 30 May 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 175
Location: United Kingdom

16 Dec 2011, 6:56 pm

I never usually talk to anyone about my beliefs because it's so complicated but basically, I have generally Buddhist and Protestant views but I also believe in Paganism and Wicca (which I would like to know a bit more about) :D



TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,100
Location: Merced, California

21 Dec 2011, 2:34 pm

Candles15 wrote:
I never usually talk to anyone about my beliefs because it's so complicated but basically, I have generally Buddhist and Protestant views but I also believe in Paganism and Wicca (which I would like to know a bit more about) :D


yeah my beliefs are complicated to explain also but i love talking about them because they actually do make a lot of sense


_________________
WP Strident Atheist
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.


ardentauthor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 27 Dec 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Posts: 30
Location: Eastern U.S.

30 Dec 2011, 6:32 pm

I don't express my religious views overtly in public because my family would force me to do a lot more church activities than I do now. However I have brought up my views under the guise of a hypothetical.
I'm closer to being an atheist than an agnostic; I don't really believe in a god but I know I can't be certain either way. I do like to entertain the possibility of a pantheistic god, though I can't say I believe in one.



Daniel59
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2012
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 3

07 Jan 2012, 11:00 pm

Haha, I'm orthodox jewish, but am fairly open to all religions. I also believe the big bang to be a valid theory, as well as evolution. I tend to struggle with all religion, including my own because they don't have any scientific evidence to back them up, but I still consider many to be possibilities, and try my best to keep the laws of the Torah, although I will not say my religion is any more or less valid then others.



TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,100
Location: Merced, California

19 Jan 2012, 2:37 am

ardentauthor wrote:
I don't express my religious views overtly in public because my family would force me to do a lot more church activities than I do now. However I have brought up my views under the guise of a hypothetical.
I'm closer to being an atheist than an agnostic; I don't really believe in a god but I know I can't be certain either way. I do like to entertain the possibility of a pantheistic god, though I can't say I believe in one.



my God is the Universe, i just don't believe in the God of Man. i accept Nature's Laws as the highest authority, whether or not it's a God i believe cannot be known to humans, or at least not yet. if i ever refer to God im referring to the Universe in a more poetic sense but not to any God(s) of Man

i easily relate to Scientific Pantheism in my beliefs, whats funny is that i came to my conclusions on my own and after heard about Scientific Pantheism for the first time and it came to the same general conclusion as me but earlier


_________________
WP Strident Atheist
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.


kobi_galon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 377
Location: Curitiba, Brazil

19 Jan 2012, 7:45 am

Daniel59 wrote:
Haha, I'm orthodox jewish, but am fairly open to all religions. I also believe the big bang to be a valid theory, as well as evolution. I tend to struggle with all religion, including my own because they don't have any scientific evidence to back them up, but I still consider many to be possibilities, and try my best to keep the laws of the Torah, although I will not say my religion is any more or less valid then others.


Well, you should trust it more. Science fails to explain many things. I wouldn't trust it that much. Our human minds are too small to understand things that are more complex than we imagine. We can't even discover once and for all whether drinking coffee is healthy or not. So how can we be so preposterous to think tha WE can tell how the origin of the universe was?

Also, you said that Judaism doesn't have any "scientific" evidence. I think you should reconsider. :)


_________________
Your Aspie score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 45 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

"A man is as free as he chooses to make himself, never an atom freer"


Daniel59
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2012
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 3

29 Jan 2012, 2:42 am

kobi_galon wrote:
Daniel59 wrote:
Haha, I'm orthodox jewish, but am fairly open to all religions. I also believe the big bang to be a valid theory, as well as evolution. I tend to struggle with all religion, including my own because they don't have any scientific evidence to back them up, but I still consider many to be possibilities, and try my best to keep the laws of the Torah, although I will not say my religion is any more or less valid then others.


Well, you should trust it more. Science fails to explain many things. I wouldn't trust it that much. Our human minds are too small to understand things that are more complex than we imagine. We can't even discover once and for all whether drinking coffee is healthy or not. So how can we be so preposterous to think tha WE can tell how the origin of the universe was?

Also, you said that Judaism doesn't have any "scientific" evidence. I think you should reconsider. :)



Yes I am incorrect in saying that, Judaism does have scientific evidence to support it. I dont believe against it. I just have many conflicting thoughts. we do live in a universe of infinite possibilities. 8O



Hexagon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2012
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 138
Location: Bristol, UK

29 Jan 2012, 4:45 am

I'm a humanist (which is an ethical system which involves a disbelief in god or gods). Apart from actually supporting the causes that humanism supports, people cant tell me that I dont have morals or ethics because I don't have a religion to follow. I also have problems with much of the morals that the major religions have to offer.

I don't believe in god because its logically impossible and physically unlikely for one to exist. Its also physically impossible for the christian god as the bible paints it to exist, and for some of the events that are described in the bible to have occurred. I believe wholeheartedly in science and reason. I am, however, aware that science doesn't yet know everything, but it will one day and it already knows a hell of a lot more than religion does.



Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,729
Location: USA

29 Jan 2012, 9:12 am

Hexagon wrote:
I'm a humanist (which is an ethical system which involves a disbelief in god or gods). Apart from actually supporting the causes that humanism supports, people cant tell me that I dont have morals or ethics because I don't have a religion to follow. I also have problems with much of the morals that the major religions have to offer.

I don't believe in god because its logically impossible and physically unlikely for one to exist. Its also physically impossible for the christian god as the bible paints it to exist, and for some of the events that are described in the bible to have occurred. I believe wholeheartedly in science and reason. I am, however, aware that science doesn't yet know everything, but it will one day and it already knows a hell of a lot more than religion does.


Science doesn't know anything, people know things. Its also been scientifically/mathematically proven that we can not be certain of all things, so know, one day we will not know all things through Science.

Also, if God is physically possible, though unlikely, logically that would mean he is logically possible.


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 384
Location: The Cosmos

29 Jan 2012, 3:31 pm

I'm Agnostic and also believe in the supernatural. You kind of HAVE to, with all the psychics on my mum's side of the family.


_________________
Empathy Quotient Test Score: 63
Hmmm...interesting. Shows what you know about Aspies, doesn't it rofl?

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"


kobi_galon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 377
Location: Curitiba, Brazil

01 Feb 2012, 1:53 pm

Daniel59 wrote:
kobi_galon wrote:
Daniel59 wrote:
Haha, I'm orthodox jewish, but am fairly open to all religions. I also believe the big bang to be a valid theory, as well as evolution. I tend to struggle with all religion, including my own because they don't have any scientific evidence to back them up, but I still consider many to be possibilities, and try my best to keep the laws of the Torah, although I will not say my religion is any more or less valid then others.


Well, you should trust it more. Science fails to explain many things. I wouldn't trust it that much. Our human minds are too small to understand things that are more complex than we imagine. We can't even discover once and for all whether drinking coffee is healthy or not. So how can we be so preposterous to think tha WE can tell how the origin of the universe was?

Also, you said that Judaism doesn't have any "scientific" evidence. I think you should reconsider. :)



Yes I am incorrect in saying that, Judaism does have scientific evidence to support it. I dont believe against it. I just have many conflicting thoughts. we do live in a universe of infinite possibilities. 8O



Yes, we do! This universe is so huge and we are so small. Surely there are lots of things we can't comprehend and probably will never comprehend (maybe in the Olam Habo). And I'm sure you don't believe against it. Actually I understand you. I had many conflicting thoughts too, when I was your age (8 years ago only), but you'll see that you'll be ok with it. Just continue keeping the mitsvos (with understanding) and praying with kavoneh. And, yes, dare to question things. But do it with wisdom. :wink:


_________________
Your Aspie score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 45 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

"A man is as free as he chooses to make himself, never an atom freer"