Page 9 of 11 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

Janissy wrote:
I think the term "oreo" is very damaging to the entire concept of black middle class. It implies that being middle class is somehopw a betrayal of being black. Turning the economy around is the only way to help poverty. And never using the term oreo or even implying its' values is the only way to decouple "black" from "poor".

Indeed, use of the term "oreo" in this context rather implies that blacks should stay with the inner city culture of dependency that locks most of them into poverty - in other words, that blacks should "stay in their place". The term reflects the most racist views of all.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 12:05 pm

psychohist wrote:
Janissy wrote:
I think the term "oreo" is very damaging to the entire concept of black middle class. It implies that being middle class is somehopw a betrayal of being black. Turning the economy around is the only way to help poverty. And never using the term oreo or even implying its' values is the only way to decouple "black" from "poor".

Indeed, use of the term "oreo" in this context rather implies that blacks should stay with the inner city culture of dependency that locks most of them into poverty - in other words, that blacks should "stay in their place". The term reflects the most racist views of all.

Exactly where the Welfare Program put them. Before the government got into the welfare and redistribution business (circa 1933) there was a burgeoning black middle class in America. The New Deal soon put it out of business.

ruveyn

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 1:21 pm

That's far from the reason. There still is a black middle class. The black middle class followed the white out of the city, leaving a core of poverty that lacked the wealth or culture to sustain a healthy economy. There are half a dozen factors that I know of and probably dozens more that I don't.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 2:30 pm

Sand is a racist railing against racism. :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 4:47 pm

Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:
Look at the proportion of whites to blacks in prison, that are unemployed that get prosecuted for drug possession and please no more BS about a small minority of prejudiced whites. The statistics are there and something very radical must be done to stop it. Obama should be the man. He isn't.

If there was some cookie with Democratic outsides and a Republican filling, perhaps Obama could qualify there as well. He certainly is doing all he can to carry out the programs that his predecessor initiated.

Which were in turn initiated under FDR, Lyndon Johnson, Dick Nixon and Ronald Reagan.

If you really stretch it you can go back to Woodrow Wilson a buddy of yours. You two are about the same age.

ruveyn

One is not permitted to point out personal limitations in this site but when you group Reagan with FDR I get a bit edgy. Woodrow Wilson is 155 years old. For someone boasting of his IQ, your mathematical skills seem to be deteriorating.

Before RWR went over to the Republicans he did hot and heavy petting with the New Deal.

He even brought bad New Deal Habits to his own administration such as tax and spend and run up the deficit.

ruveyn

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 5:15 pm

Lol. Yet another thread on “racism” where the majority of posters agree that “racism” is some great problem society needs to tackle even though those same posters cannot agree among themselves what exactly “racism” is. Is Obama “racist” for not doing more to help black people? Or is it “racist” to expect him to? Is affirmative action a good way to tackle racism? Or is it itself racist (against blacks, that is)? You will still be having the same dreary debates next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, all over a word that did not even exist in English dictionaries before the 20th century.

Here’s a question: since racially diverse societies are the only ones where “racism” is actually a problem, why are so many libbos so opposed to the idea of (1) racial separation in countries that are currently racially diverse, and/or (2) countries that are currently racially homogenous taking steps to remain so.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 5:28 pm

codarac wrote:
Lol. Yet another thread on “racism” where the majority of posters agree that “racism” is some great problem society needs to tackle even though those same posters cannot agree among themselves what exactly “racism” is. Is Obama “racist” for not doing more to help black people? Or is it “racist” to expect him to? Is affirmative action a good way to tackle racism? Or is it itself racist (against blacks, that is)? You will still be having the same dreary debates next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, all over a word that did not even exist in English dictionaries before the 20th century.

Here’s a question: since racially diverse societies are the only ones where “racism” is actually a problem, why are so many libbos so opposed to the idea of (1) racial separation in countries that are currently racially diverse, and/or (2) countries that are currently racially homogenous taking steps to remain so.

Because separation when put into action puts one group in an inferior status to another. Beside, our national motto is E Pluribus Unum - Through Many, One. That says it all about us as a nation embracing diversity of every kind.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 5:36 pm

Sand wrote:
Look at the proportion of whites to blacks in prison, that are unemployed that get prosecuted for drug possession and please no more BS about a small minority of prejudiced whites. The statistics are there and something very radical must be done to stop it. Obama should be the man. He isn't.

This sort of bullcrap from Sand is one of the reasons why speaking the truth about racial differences is a moral act. As long as the outcomes for Blacks and Whites are different, people like Sand will be blaming Whites as a group for it. I don't suppose it even crosses Sand's mind that the sort of rhetoric he and people like him use might contribute to Blacks harbouring "prejudice" and even violent resentment towards Whites.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrloyM1iwLc[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 5:42 pm

codarac wrote:
Sand wrote:

This sort of bullcrap from Sand is one of the reasons why speaking the truth about racial differences is a moral act. As long as the outcomes for Blacks and Whites are different, people like Sand will be blaming Whites as a group for it. I don't suppose it even crosses Sand's mind that the sort of rhetoric he and people like him use might contribute to Blacks harbouring "prejudice" and even violent resentment towards Whites.

Just because one black lunatic advocates exterminating white people, and a few social misfits applaud, doesn't prove your point for a whole population.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 5:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
codarac wrote:
Sand wrote:

Just because one black lunatic advocates exterminating white people, and a few social misfits applaud, doesn't prove your point for a whole population.

What you are proposing is that society in general needs no adjustment for the blatant oppression of people of color, something that has been alleviated to some extent but needs a long way to go. That some blacks have gone off the deep end in anger is no reason to deny that major changes must be made to acquire a decent civil society and the the president as a social leader automatically under some pressure to discuss and initiate those changes. If you are happy with current social conditions that bespeaks more of your ignorance and callousness than the state of society.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 6:02 pm

I assume you are speaking to codarac, and not to me.

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 6:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

I assume the same.
Well, it's late here, and I'm signing off.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 7:17 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Yes. Sorry, I was captured by the video and assigned the wrong quotation.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 7:23 pm

codarac makes the mistake of seeing our argument as a sign of weakness, and of seeing our differences as a sign of weakness. We will come together and do the right thing, as soon as we exhaust all other possibilities. :wink:

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:47 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
codarac makes the mistake of seeing our argument as a sign of weakness, and of seeing our differences as a sign of weakness. We will come together and do the right thing, as soon as we exhaust all other possibilities. :wink:

The USA has been in deep trouble with its variously colored populations for a couple of centuries. The general opinions have changed a good deal during my lifetime but there is still much that needs strong remedy. Yes, Obama is president of the entire country and his attention is overwhelmed by the political and policy horrors from the previous administration. But being black is still something extremely special and, to me, extremely precious in the leader of the country. That specialty must not be neglected for the rest of the population, black and white and whatever color lies inbetween.He was elected hugely out of the reaction to the nausea for the viciousness, the callousness, the outrageous illegality and the immense stupidity of the country under G.W.Bush whose mentality could reside comfortably in the era of the dinosaurs. And all Obama's actions to date have been to a high degree not only an extension but an increase in intensity of the worst Bush policies. His economic and financial advisers have been drawn out of the horde of greedy crooks now in charge of the financial sector of the country which is destroying its economic base in the name of enriching the already super rich and ignoring the millions in desperate situation over jobs, over retaining their homes, over suffering and dying for the miserable health system in comparison to other western countries. His extension of the Middle Eastern policies obviously designed to hold power over oil resources and hypocritically designated as extensions of democracy are a total failure and a financial disaster for everybody not making fat profits over the incredibly incompetent military's use of its bloated budget. Obama is simply not the president that was promised and voted for and at this critical juncture in history that might inevitably be fatal for the country and that is a major tragedy.

Barrett
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jun 2011, 8:51 pm

Wes didn' do it ! ! We be innocent, yo.

Mabye we should lock up a few hundred-thousand innocent white people, just to make it look all even, just for appearances' sake.