Do you have religious beliefs that are viewed as odd by many

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2011, 7:25 pm

Since AS people tend to think differently it tends to be the case that our religious beliefs are also a bit different, some that may be viewed as strange or incorrect by the NT society. So do you have a religious or spiritual belief that is unique, or viewed as odd or incorrect by other people? For instance, i believe that there is only one god, and that he created all of the different religions of the world. You see, the christian bible says man isnt perfect. I feel that he created all the different religions so that his perfection could still be on earth, but in seperated chunks so that the human race would be able to take it in. Christians are very loyal to their god, yet Native Americans and hindus are more focused on the earth, both are very important Aspects of life, and this is an example of how i feel he seperated his perfection. I also believe animals and trees are our brothers and sisters and therefor i dont hunt, but i dont judge those who do hunt since we need to hunt to control animal population.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 8:18 pm

There are those who think any religious belief is an aberration.

But yes. a number of my belief are going to be viewed by some othe Christians as odd.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 8:49 pm

I'm Pagan-Atheist - I thus get countless people asking how I can be a Pagan and an Atheist at the same time.
I'm not Pagan and Atheist at the same time, I'm a Pagan-Atheist.

My beliefs are similar to 'Christian-atheism' AKA Sea Of Faith - a radical Christian sect or religious movement that caused a fair bit of discussion amongst Christianity and religious community in general within the 1980's, and may have brought rise to the likes of Dawkins into the mainstream. The basic ideas being that belief is just that; belief and that religions have to evolve and adapt in order to survive, that religion has to transition from traditional realism to religion needing being understood simply as a human creation.

I've had my religious beliefs referred or likened to 'Logical Paganism', 'Philosophical Paganism' and 'Scientific Pantheism'...only I think my own beliefs would require philosophy qualifications and a peek into my mind to understand. Then I also get various discussions about the meaning of 'Paganism' (neo-pagan pantheism/polytheism or non–Abrahamic religion) and what is meant by the Atheist part (e.g. if I'm positive-atheist, negative-atheist, or agnostic).

It seems that people think the Pagan-Atheist part is strange or makes no sense...then give up trying to understand when I explain it :P

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2011, 9:57 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
I'm Pagan-Atheist - I thus get countless people asking how I can be a Pagan and an Atheist at the same time.

My beliefs are similar to 'Christian-atheism' AKA Sea Of Faith - a radical Christian sect or religious movement that caused a fair bit of discussion amongst Christianity and religious community in general within the 1980's, and may have brought rise to the likes of Dawkins into the mainstream. The basic ideas being that belief is just that; belief and that religions have to evolve and adapt in order to survive, that religion has to transition from traditional realism to religion needing being understood simply as a human creation.

I've had my religious beliefs referred or likened to 'Logical Paganism', 'Philosophical Paganism' and 'Scientific Pantheism'...only I think my own beliefs would require philosophy qualifications and a peek into my mind to understand. Then I also get various discussions about the meaning of 'Paganism' (neo-pagan pantheism/polytheism or non–Abrahamic religion) and what is meant by the Atheist part (e.g. if I'm positive-atheist, negative-atheist, or agnostic).

It seems that people think the Pagan-Atheist part is strange or makes no sense...then give up trying to understand when I explain it :P

I think i may be a little confused but basically what you are saying is you are someone who only believes in what can be seen. You say you are a pagan because pagans focus more on the earth, and the earth is a very scientific thing that is proven to be real by science, and its not like religion where your only going by word of mouth. Thats why atheists believe in what they believe because science cant prove religion is real, but they can prove earth is real, am i correct?

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 10:02 pm

@Bloodheart

Just point out that not all atheists are naturalists.

Was not spoken of the soul.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 10:12 pm

I believe the thing we call God could have been a very advanced extra terrestrial being. Very advanced, but still of the natural order. I do not believe anything exists outside of nature. I agree with Sagan when he says the cosmos is all that is, ever was or will be.

ruveyn

K_W
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2011, 10:34 pm

I'm an Atheist, so... Yes.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm

bradt4evr wrote:
Do you have religious beliefs that are viewed as odd by many?

Only one: That all religions are detrimental to learning, knowledge, understanding, and personal freedom.

As for the "many", they are the religious people themselves.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm

K_W wrote:

Not so weird as you might believe...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

K_W

05 Jun 2011, 10:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
K_W wrote:

As viewed by others. :)

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2011, 11:17 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I believe the thing we call God could have been a very advanced extra terrestrial being. Very advanced, but still of the natural order. I do not believe anything exists outside of nature. I agree with Sagan when he says the cosmos is all that is, ever was or will be.

ruveyn

You dont say! i was just saying the exact same thing to a friend of mine that i thought it was possible god was actually an alien who came to earth to teach us how to live, in fact i think mars used to be just like earth, oonly a much higher advanced society technology wise, and something happened that caused it to turn into what it is now, and i believe that the life on mars moved on, but came back to mars one day to see what was left of their planet and found this earth and these things we call humans and taught them a thing or two, wow someone else thinks that too! pretty kool :) Of course my stories a litle more out there, sorry i tend to have an overactive imagination

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 11:25 pm

K_W wrote:
Fnord wrote:
K_W wrote:

As viewed by others. :)

Well, yeah ... I suppose ... but I find it more weird that many of my fellow Theists would react with hostility toward anyone who does not share their precious beliefs. I mean, where does "Love Thy Neighbor" go when the neighbor happens to be an Atheist?

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:10 am

bradt4evr wrote:
Bloodheart wrote:

I think i may be a little confused but basically what you are saying is you are someone who only believes in what can be seen. You say you are a pagan because pagans focus more on the earth, and the earth is a very scientific thing that is proven to be real by science, and its not like religion where your only going by word of mouth. Thats why atheists believe in what they believe because science cant prove religion is real, but they can prove earth is real, am i correct?

No - I don't think 'only believing in what can be seen' counts as a belief. I am a pantheist.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:13 am

91 wrote:
@Bloodheart

Just point out that not all atheists are naturalists.

You'll have to clarify what you mean by that one.

Naturalism is the belief that only natural laws and forces operate in the world and that nothing exists beyond the natural world.
Atheism it the rejection of belief in the existence of deities, and supernatural.

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:44 am

I'm an atheist. Not agnostic about it. I'm just an atheist. I don't have, and as far as I remember never have had, the slightest temptation towards religion or spirituality.

So no, not particularly odd.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:56 am

I am a pantheist... Of course people think my beliefs are odd. :D

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS