Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Do you think Green Lantern will be a commercial success?
No, this is strictly for a specific (small) group of geeks! 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Yes, it will have mass appeal! 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Oh look, SHEEP! I mean DEATHCLAWS! AAARRRGGGHHH! MY RIBCAGE! 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 6

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 8:52 am

As a diehard lantern fan this gives me geekgasms...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv7KlLj_Ffs[/youtube]

...but I'm afraid it may be too much for casual movie goers.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 10:02 am

no even burt reynolds wont make the movie have mass apeal, its just too nerdy for that. A bunch of weird aliens in tight green pants ? so uncool.
When i went to the movies last time some teenage girls where actually making fun of xmen. I gues they went to see the hangover because its cool to be an alcholic and all that. Im going to see this movie as soon as possible though, science fiction all the way. I love marvel for making all these movies that are going to be released this year.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2011, 12:51 pm

So far every trailer I've seen is packed with pretty CGI effects, but all the alien creatures and costumes look really goofy and silly, to the point that its almost embarrassing to watch, I feel bad for the actor having to wear such a stupid looking outfit.

Of course, I felt pretty much the same way when I first saw a trailer for Star Wars with Chewbacca and C3PO in it. Turns out I was wr...I was wro...I was w-w-...I may have been mistaken.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

Hard to say. I thought Scott Pilgrim was going to be a commercial success, but we all know how that turned out...

Then again, when the first Pirates of the Caribbean came out, everybody thought that it was going to suck because it was based off of a theme park ride, and Disney execs thought that Johnny Depp's portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow was "ruining the whole movie". Again, we all know how that turned out...

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:46 pm

^^^ Yeah, I guess we'll only know for sure... when we do!

Avengilante wrote:
So far every trailer I've seen is packed with pretty CGI effects, but all the alien creatures and costumes look really goofy and silly, to the point that its almost embarrassing to watch, I feel bad for the actor having to wear such a stupid looking outfit.

See, that's the thing... all those goofy, silly aliens are faithful to the comic. If they didn't look like they do, Lantern fans would reject the movie. I love the look of the Green Lantern Corps and Oa, but I can see how non-fans wouldn't. ( I squealed like a girl when I thought I saw Ch'P in a crowd scene... He's a space squirrel! :P ).

Anyway, I love all the geek-service in the trailers, the aliens, the actual Lantern oath, the constructs... I just hope it doesn't alienate general viewers too much, because I already want another movie with Manhunters!

My only gripe about the movie so far is the "nudeness" of the costumes (they just aren't quite right), and choice of villain--if they're going to fight Parallax I'd rather they did it more by proxy...

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:52 pm

You know you could ask the same question about every other comic book movie.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:59 pm

I can't really comment...not being a Green Lantern fan.

I question - is it geeky?
Most comic genre films are horrific, take the X-men films...they can't even get the basics of the characters right, they mess with beloved characters, and this is within a comic where the characters have already been fooled around with and are capable of almost anything, so it's not like keeping in tune with the characters, mythos and storyline's would restrict the film making in any way. No self-respecting geek approves of half the comic genre films that have come out.

So, is Green Lantern in keeping with Green Lantern?
If not then it won't appeal to the geeks, like other comic genre films it will only appeal to idiots...but honestly with Green Lantern I don't even think it'll appeal to those because no one outside of comic geeks really know anything about Green Lantern and there's not enough in the way of special effects, explosions or sex to get the mass moron appeal. If it is in keeping, and not an abomination like [most] other comic films, then it will at least get the geeks...but sadly geeks aren't a particularly huge group so even if it's true to the comics it'd still be considered a flop.

Oh, and Ryan Reynolds...perfect Deadpool, so not sure I'm happy about him in Green Lantern, although they apparently screwed up Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, not looking forward to him as Deadpool in Deadpool.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

neerdowell
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jun 2011, 2:12 pm

I think it might be too geeky for most people. I am beyond excited for it. I may even pull out my Green Lantern Power Ring for the movie. I just hope it is a success because I want DC comics to make more movies based in there comics as I have been reading DC comics for 25 years now.