Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

I don't know if its coz I don't see the point of owning "extra material possessions" you don't need, or if its because I just don't want to fit in, but I don't want to be rich.

Obviously, I wouldn't want to end up homeless on the street or dependent on welfare, but I just don't see the appeal of being rich. I'm glad my family is not too rich (and not too poor). The reason is because I get to see that there are other families out there that are really rich compared to my family. They have bigger houses, they own more than one TV, they have one car per person, but at the same time, I don't feel "poor" and I get to appreciate what I have. Still, I'm often guilty of making small things in life "a big deal" and fail to realize that I have a house to sleep in every night and I have full meals that satisfy my hunger.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 1:40 pm

Neither do I. I want to be a working class hero. :)

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

Who first did that song Cockney? I know my Green Day did that song.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 3:13 pm

I'm reminded of The Chase, a trashy little action movie from the early 1990s. Kristy Swanson is a rich brat who claims that it's not a big deal when you have a lot of money. This flies Charlie Sheen into a rage, who tells her that when you don't have money, it's a VERY big deal.

I'm 27 years old and I've been jobless since 2004 and living with my parents because SSI keeps turning me down, and my parents are not exactly rich themselves, lower middle class at best. I won't bore you with stories about why not having money is frequently a problem, but just trust me when I say that it is. Aside from books, I've never had much of an affinity for material possessions, and if I won a lottery, I wouldn't blow the money on a huge house or sports car or whatever people who win lotteries generally do with their newfound wealth. I would use it to purchase peace of mind, keeping it in the bank.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

IDK... I'd kind of like to have enough money to help people.

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 3:20 pm

Hell, I'd love to have millions of dollars. I'd buy a garage the size of 10 football fields and fill them up with every car I ever dreamed of. I'd buy land and have a track built on it. I'd create a 10 mile dragstrip just so my Bugatti Veyron SuperSport and Koenigsegg Agera R could reach their full potential (260+ mph). I'd own the Nurburgring. I'd buy out Toyota and do away with the Prius and every other electric/hybrid they produce.

Yes. My money would be spent on cars. I could care less about the size of my house. You know what.....forget the house. I'll just buy a Maybach and sleep in it :D

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 3:43 pm

While I don't really care to be rich, I'd like to not have to struggle to survive. If I had plenty of money, there's a lot of things I'd like to be able to do to help others though. And I would love to finish my education.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 3:46 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6xkT7FMyTc

j/k. but tuuune

I've been poor all my life so will settle for comfortable. I think I'd get a bit scared if I had too much money. end up accidentally putting it all in a charity box or something

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Jun 2011, 4:00 pm

I don't really want to be rich either but that may be due to me being realistic. I don't have much chance of being rich unless I were to become a criminal due to my combination of physical disabilities, learning problems & Aspie issues. I haven't worked in 3 & a half years; I'm extremely lucky to even get an interview. My income is only $795 a month from Social Security Disability & I have about 4thounsand in debt from 3 & half years ago due to medical things that I'm slowly paying off. I also have to pay for all my personal stuff. My family is lower middle-class & believe in saving money not wasting it. My parents were very poor when they were younger so I never had the latest most expensive stuff as a kid. I have little money but I'm getting by quite well & comfortable considering. I'm happy with what I have thou it would be awesome if I were to come into some money so I could pay all that debt off. I really do want a job & to be more independent but that doesn't seem likely anytime soon. I had so many problems with school & things as a kid that I never dreamed of having a well paying job or anything. I just wanted everyone to get off my case & accept that I was different & couldn't be what they wanted & required me to be. I always knew & accepted that being rich wasn't in the cards for me

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRCmtHuUW0E[/youtube]

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 06 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 4:01 pm

I'd love to be rich. I don't know what else to aim for in life so why not loads of money?

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 4:06 pm

i've got the brains, you've got the looks, let's make lots of money

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 4:44 pm

Simonono wrote:
I'd love to be rich. I don't know what else to aim for in life so why not loads of money?

Mainly because - despite what some people are very keen to profess, either for their self-image ("I want lots of money, and I want to be a good person, so I must believe that having lots of money and being a good person are easily compatible"*) or through ignorance ("I am an economist**, and I've invested my life in the mistaken belief that humans are at heart simple creatures motivated by greed; this has led me to the misguided conclusion that economics is based on greed") - riches are to some extent a zero-sum game.

Or whatever the inflationary-expanding equivalent should be called.

Example: "You have one bean, and I have one bean. Through 'our' hard work - my 'skilled' management and your unskilled labour, we now have ten extra beans. I take nine beans and you take one bean. Now you have two beans, and I have ten beans - look, you're better off! You're twice as rich as you were... honest, guv."

That's pretty much the story of the last thirty or forty years in the West (and generally for most of history, though there have been occasional exceptions), never mind the rest of the world. Which is why my low wage in Blighty puts me in the top tiny percent of rich scum in the world.

*not saying they aren't potentially compatible, just that it ain't anything like as easy as the "greed is good" crowd pretend to themselves.
**conventional economist; there are a few who aren't total eejits and who work from a basis of looking at how people actually buy and sell and work in the real world, instead of spinning mathematical bollocks about how some idealised psychopaths*** behave.
***I'm not kidding. Economics assumes we're scary people.

Er, so, in response to the original question, I am rich, and most of you are as well - yes, even if you're living on benefits or whatever - by the standards of most of the world. I don't particularly desire to be richer, but I'd like to have enough to spare that going to work was my decision and not something I'm forced to do. Shrugs.

The year is still young.