06 Jun 2011, 11:17 am

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technolo ... ic+Wire%29

YAY

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Jun 2011, 12:03 pm

What about ice cream? Is that a human right?

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 12:16 pm

Perhaps, if ice cream is the only source of food available (may the day come swiftly!) Something similar is going on here, at best; there's no way the Internet itself can be considered a "right".

Whenever the day is done."

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 12:22 pm

Ice cream, even if one develops savory flavors [Beef Ripple, Tutti Frutti di Mare] is not ideal for a balanced diet. Lactose intolerant people would need special diets.

Has anyone researched the effect on the human system of a frozen diet?

Of course, Herself tends to let her icecream wilt a bit and smoosh it around.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 12:35 pm

Jacoby wrote:

Unless I misunderstood the article, the UN's stance is that governments should not censor or restrict the internnet, nor should they attempt to compromise the anonymity of web users.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 12:35 pm

Jacoby wrote:

idk ask Weird Al after he DOES love Rocky Road LOL

Dr. Weird Al says ice cream diets are good, trust him, he's a surgeon

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm

Natty_Boh wrote:
Perhaps, if ice cream is the only source of food available (may the day come swiftly!) Something similar is going on here, at best; there's no way the Internet itself can be considered a "right".

i think it can, we are as dependant on it today as we are food and power, were the net to die today there would be little civilized tomorrow.
but i think you are right that it is the implied right to comunicate freely with whomever, whereever, whenever.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

Orwell wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Unless I misunderstood the article, the UN's stance is that governments should not censor or restrict the internnet, nor should they attempt to compromise the anonymity of web users.

I see that as already recognized as a human right. The right of free expression and thought. Internet access as a human right makes me think of everyone being entitled to have access to a service.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I see that as already recognized as a human right. The right of free expression and thought. Internet access as a human right makes me think of everyone being entitled to have access to a service.

It's possible that the UN also meant that, but I would be surprised. Anyways, many countries (including several alleged liberal democracies in the West) do already censor the internet, so that is evidently not already recognized as a human right. And many governments have proposed schemes that would severely curtail anonymity on the internet.

JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2011, 1:50 pm

Not really sure what to make of this....Sure..having access to the Internet on a regular basis gives one a heads up. Its probably much more difficult to function without the Internet in the developed world such as Western Europe, the US, Canada, etc..But I don't see how it is a basic necessity of life in less technologically and culturally different parts of the world. Perhaps one day it will become a resource most needed, but I don't think as of right now it should be considered a " right"....having access to the internet should be like having access to a car, a priviledge. With it, comes responsibilty. A " right" should be reliable access to food, water, sanitation, civil liberties, etc....the Internet itself is something one can function without and not lose sleep over.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 1:57 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

The text of the report can be found here. It's a PDF so I can't copy/paste, but section 85 is saying precisely that - that "universal access" needs to be a priority for all countries.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 2:02 pm

who is the right-giver and the right-protector?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 2:09 pm

JeremyNJ1984 wrote:
Not really sure what to make of this....Sure..having access to the Internet on a regular basis gives one a heads up. Its probably much more difficult to function without the Internet in the developed world such as Western Europe, the US, Canada, etc..But I don't see how it is a basic necessity of life in less technologically and culturally different parts of the world. Perhaps one day it will become a resource most needed, but I don't think as of right now it should be considered a " right"....having access to the internet should be like having access to a car, a priviledge. With it, comes responsibilty. A " right" should be reliable access to food, water, sanitation, civil liberties, etc....the Internet itself is something one can function without and not lose sleep over.

the internet is the developed world today, nothing would work were it gone tomorrow, the credit crunch would be childs play compared to the havoc it would bring.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 2:13 pm

Oodain wrote:
JeremyNJ1984 wrote:

the internet is the developed world today, nothing would work were it gone tomorrow, the credit crunch would be childs play compared to the havoc it would bring.

But we've made ourselves dependent on it. It's essential, in the 1st World anyway, but not precisely a 'right'.

JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2011, 2:18 pm

Natty_Boh wrote:
Oodain wrote:
JeremyNJ1984 wrote:

But we've made ourselves dependent on it. It's essential, in the 1st World anyway, but not precisely a 'right'.

Exactly...having access to a car seems essential to function in society, but does that mean everyone should have the right to own a car? I need refrigeration for supermarket food..does having access to a refrigerator accrue it as a " right"? the Internet is not going to replace local businesses as the means of production. So I don't see the drastic necessity of calling access to the Internet a " right"....it also fails to mention who is going to end up paying for the fiber optic cables, servers, etc that come along with it...some poor african herder sure wont fork over the money needed. Seems like its going to be coming out of the pockets of 1st world countries.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 3:38 pm

I can see why Internet access could be called a human right, because it allows access to information and opportunity for education. I believe Estonia has already done this actually, and provides all citizens with free Internet (although that makes me nervous because it would be SO easy to censer).