Anti cure, autistics are equal to NT's 47%  47%  [ 24 ]
Anti cure, autistics are superior to NT's 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
Cure LFA only 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 51

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 6:30 pm

I know it's a common question, but I don't see anything specifically about it in the last couple of weeks, so let's have a recap since I forget the last one's results

It's not a question of neurodiversity really, just think of it in regard to your situation.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

None of the above.

I don't see why we have to be pro or anti cure - AS/ASD and NT are equal, I personally would not want a cure and dislike those who see us as needing a cure, however families of lower-functioning ASD people or people who really have difficulty being AS/ASD would welcome a cure and they should not be made to feel in the wrong for needing/wanting that - people are individuals, and things are not black and white.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

06 Jun 2011, 6:56 pm

NT's and autistics are equal (in terms of capabilities), and whether one wants to be "cured" should be evaluated on an individual basis.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 7:57 pm

I'm anti-cure and aspies and NTs are equal.

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2011, 9:26 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
None of the above.

I don't see why we have to be pro or anti cure - AS/ASD and NT are equal, I personally would not want a cure and dislike those who see us as needing a cure, however families of lower-functioning ASD people or people who really have difficulty being AS/ASD would welcome a cure and they should not be made to feel in the wrong for needing/wanting that - people are individuals, and things are not black and white.

^^^

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:35 pm

I voted to cure LFA only, because while I disagree with the thought of the HFA/LFA labels, it seems to be the most reasonable choice. Some people with autism really do suffer from the condition, and would greatly benefit from a cure. But those of us who are considered to be "high functioning" can improvise and adapt to NT society, and almost manipulate autistic traits to our advantage, so to speak.

However, ideally, I would prefer to see acceptance and accommodations made in society rather than a cure.

Last edited by SammichEater on 06 Jun 2011, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:37 pm

Could just as easily ask if there should be a "cure" for being NT

Millstone
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2011, 9:55 pm

Pretty sure this is one thing we're not going to see a 'cure' for for quite a while.

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2011, 10:02 pm

I'm realistic enough - or MILD enough? - to realise that altho TO ME it's everyone else who seems to behave peculiarly / unresonably / badly - it's actually ME who's dysfunctional.

I'm a bit lost by the superior / inferior / equal part of the question - disadvantaged / priveleged would be more appropriate terms I think.

Nonetheless, setting aside the inferior / superior etc. - my answer about a cure is I WANT IT AND I WANT IT N-O-W!! !! !! !! !! !

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm anti-cure and aspies and NTs are equal.

How is that exactly? I mean I do not think I am inferior to NT's but if I where equal do them I probably would not have issues I have that they don't.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 4:04 am

Phonic wrote:
I know it's a common question, but I don't see anything specifically about it in the last couple of weeks, so let's have a recap since I forget the last one's results

It's not a question of neurodiversity really, just think of it in regard to your situation.

Im intrigued by your signature thing
Quote:
There's no normal child hidden behind the autism. Autism is a way of being...It is not possible to separate the autism from the person--and if it were possible, the person you'd have left would not be the same person you started with.

Do you consider that opinion or fact?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 4:06 am

I said us aspies are superior to those nts.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2011, 4:19 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
Could just as easily ask if there should be a "cure" for being NT

You mean give people AS? :lol:

ci
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 4:35 am

I will make a quick read to this.

1. People with autism are equal to people without autism.

True - In spirit of quality of being.
False - When disability limits desire.

2. People with autism need a cure.

True - When symptoms hinder basic life functions and when otherwise chosen.
False - When an individual chooses no cure is needed and or desired.

3. Anti-cure

People that are anti-cure have the right to choose for themselves. However they do not have the right to choose for others. Attempts to evade this right of choice will not succeed no matter how insulting it is because the right to the dignity of a pathological label in of itself does not supersede the right to treatment pursuits with the potential of cures for differing symptoms.

4. Pro-cure.

Does not fundamentally denote forcing a person to be cured. In spite of (insult) I'd choose this one simply because it's a human rights issue and my own ego should not get in the way of that. Pro-cure does not have the right to cure someone of adult age against their will. Individuals seeking to allow children to choose need to change the law however individuals should not attempt to evade the right to cure and it's pursuits no matter how much social peer pressure and anti-NT hog wash is applied.

----

I have autism. I don't mind one bit saying what's unpopular. I don't go along with peer pressure, don't have the desire to fit in and think about the logic and the law. I am not superior to you for thinking how I do. I however instinct the arguement that fundamental human liberties and essential human rights ought to have basic respect including the personal right to not have a cure or think one needs a cure when applicable to an individual. I think the human condition is flawed and needs a cure and don't believe hating on people for wanting to develop a cure for individuals with autism that rightfully choose it is reasonable or the right thing to do.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 4:52 am

Missed the option:

"No such thing as a cure. Pointless poll."

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jun 2011, 4:54 am

I was assuming cure meant optional according to personal choice of course.

If the question was referring to compulsory cure I'm in a real pickle - but ultimately I'd still choose yes and hope like all getout that everyone's quality of life does indeed end up being overall better - as I KNOW mine would.

I fear the truth would be less than clear cut - ie. for one tiny example in midst of a huge and complicated set of circumstances: I can well imagine that a lot of currently happy relationships might break down - but then I'd like to hope new ones would be easily found etc.