Anti cure, autistics are superior to NT's 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
Cure LFA only 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 51

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 1:18 am

ci wrote:
No one here has induced that the disability aspects of autism may be cured but there may be a significant difference that is seemingly innate which still may be intact to signify a diversity still existing when hardship is removed.

Exactly. This annoys me, cure opponents say or imply these things cannot be seperated. How do they think they can possibly KNOW that as if its gospel?!?! And if they can be seperated..then who wouldnt want that?

ci
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 2:52 am

What is cure opponents.

1. Those who oppose cure.

2. Those who oppose a view of anti-cure.

It is perhaps a brain fart but special context rules may apply.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jun 2011, 2:55 am

nostromo wrote:
ci wrote:
No one here has induced that the disability aspects of autism may be cured but there may be a significant difference that is seemingly innate which still may be intact to signify a diversity still existing when hardship is removed.

Exactly. This annoys me, cure opponents say or imply these things cannot be seperated. How do they think they can possibly KNOW that as if its gospel?!?! And if they can be seperated..then who wouldnt want that?

What gives you reason to believe they can?

I don't believe a literal cure is possible in the near future (and I think claiming that cure just means "treatment" is so much semantic nonsense), so this discussion is only relevant in how much money goes into research to run down metaphorical blind alleys while more and more autistic children become autistic adults and have very little - if any - support.

To heck with it - society's broken, not me. I don't care if anyone else wants a cure or not. But it certainly would be nice if there were more accommodations. I shouldn't have to change my neurology to be a part of society (and, really, I don't have to, but my ability to participate is pretty limited).

ci
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 2:59 am

The brain is self. I think that's why this whole issue is complicated. Yet cure is a human right and you cannot achieve a cure without treatment. Medical science is not exactly very philosophical. Research will continue and remedies may be found for at least some symptoms.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jun 2011, 3:07 am

Treatments are plausible, a cure is not.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 3:10 am

I am not sure if that is the case. Even if it were not to be possible in this time then perhaps eventually but still it is a human right. Regardless individual symptoms do not necessarily manifest for the same neurological reasons. As it involves the brain and behavior research will ultimately determine. Multiple symptoms potential cures by means of treatment for each.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 3:39 am

Verdandi wrote:
nostromo wrote:
ci wrote:

What gives you reason to believe they can?

Nothing gives me reason to believe they can - other than that nothing gives me reason to believe they can't.

Verdandi wrote:
I don't believe a literal cure is possible in the near future (and I think claiming that cure just means "treatment" is so much semantic nonsense), so this discussion is only relevant in how much money goes into research to run down metaphorical blind alleys while more and more autistic children become autistic adults and have very little - if any - support.

Going down blind alleys does tell you something, it tells you theres nothing at the end of them, and that's knowledge you've gained that you couldn't have got until you went down them.

Verdandi wrote:
To heck with it - society's broken, not me. I don't care if anyone else wants a cure or not. But it certainly would be nice if there were more accommodations. I shouldn't have to change my neurology to be a part of society (and, really, I don't have to, but my ability to participate is pretty limited).

That would be nice.

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2011, 4:43 am

The proposition has nothing to do with reality - what if the hypothetical situation suggested as a "cure" indeed means the subject's brain being made absolutely Neurotypical - with personality and abilities/"gifts" left intact.

Maybe ET's turn up with fantastic nanotechnology or matter transport systems that can pattern match and repair in a fashion that anables autism to be totally "repaired"? (leaving personality and abilities/"gifts" left intact).

My own outlook in that case is how can anyone NOT absolutely want to have the "cure"???

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:40 am

Because I wouldn't want a cure. I don't want to become a social whore.

zippy-tri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2011, 3:40 pm

Because asd can be very different from one person to another, and the amount of traits a person has can vary enormously, I think it would be hard to know what your curing.
Magic pill type cures with an instant fix, like removing a tooth to cure toothach I find hard to imagine. So many of the asd traits are so knitted in with personality, A cure could be something like re-programming a computer. It may make the computer run faster, but all your mp3s, photos, documents etc are wiped unless you protect them from the cure.

A cure to prevent asd from birth or before I find more plausible. In the same way folic acid taken during pregnancy is said to reduce the risk of spinabifida.

I would put finding a cure for neurotypical elitism higher on the list, and work from there. If humans were more accepting of each others differences, a lot of the asd issues for a lot of people would not need a cure. (I think)

catlover02
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2011, 9:55 pm

I don't want to be cured of my Asperger's, but I would really like God to heal me of my Asperger's so that I wouldn't have it anymore and that way if I was healed of my Asperger's, I wouldn't have all the difficulties and problems that come with my Asperger's like depression, anxiety, ADHD and OCD!:(

Thebigrage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

Anyone Here watch X-Men 3 cause this is the same thing, some of us like the fact that we can be gifted and most of as have a gift of somekind and others find that it is just too much of a hassle being Autistic, or having Asperger's. It swings both ways, I don't want a cure because I like the way I am and I wouldn't change me for the world.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 10:31 pm

It's a personal choice. Whether or not depression originates from a form of autism. A disability is a disability.