Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 3:05 pm

Philologos wrote:
No, just the climate change section of the climate and climatology article in the allegedly classic 1911 edition Encyclopaedia Britannica, which though in places outmoded includes some useful stuff more modern sources find irrelevant and also shed light on HOW understanding does / does not change.

I have it hard copy because my parents had it [whether because it was classic or because the price was not, do not ask me, I was not consulted azt the time of purchase about 1960] and as Number 1 Son I grabbed it when the household goods and gods were dispersed.

IF you have a few minutes and are so inclined, you might find a gaze through of interest. If not no big deal, 1911 will not mind.

I actually did peruse it a bit. It seems like there was inadequate data to conclude that there was any climate change occurring at that point in time. Wholly unlike our present situation, where evidence continues to pile up.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 3:11 pm

I found it interesting that at least in that article I found no mention of the CO2 factor. I am almost positive - NOW I am going to have to check - not your fault THIS time] that in another inherited text, in this case from the 20s - the one proclaiming the authenticity of Piltdown Man - CO2 IS put forward as a heating mechanism. I know it was in place by the time I was reading about such stuff.