Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 6:27 pm

Nuh-uh. Not at all.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/07/ap/business/main20069832.shtml

Quote:
Officials say the blaze has already burned 486 square miles and is about 10 miles outside the towns. Winds have been driving the flames 5 to 8 miles a day since the fire began a week ago, possibly from an unattended campfire.

See? It was an unattended campfire.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 6:39 pm

Is anyone claiming it has such etiology?

Or not?

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 6:50 pm

Philologos wrote:
Is anyone claiming it has such etiology?

Or not?

They'd better not be claiming that. There's no reason to think this is related in any way.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 7:03 pm

I am tempted to do either of of a couple serious comments or one of a couple three snappy comebacks, but it has been a long tired day and my feet hurt. So I won't.

HOWEVER - I just noticed you claim to be out of Germantown While my mother [and I and her mother before her] was born in Baltimore, on her father's side we were Keedys and Adamses out of Washington Co. I note one division of Germantown is Clopper village, which MAY - or may not - be thew Cloppers who are one of our ingredeients.

Based on what today feels like, and what Hagerstown was like in July of 1986, I am betting you are keeping warm enough.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 7:09 pm

Even if someone wants to argue about the cause, warmer temperatures for any reason will lead to more bad stuff in certain regions.

If the predictions of AGW are accurate (the MIT ones for example) then you'll see places like Texas become real disasters by 2080. They'll have temperatures of over 100F, often way over, for 6 months out of the year, increased drought, increased wildfires, increased hurricane activity, etc.

There are limits to what air conditioning can compensate for.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 7:15 pm

Quite apart from the fact that whatever your AGW insights airconditioning is part of the problem.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Jun 2011, 7:16 pm

Wildfires happen, they're natural and have always occurred.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 7:22 pm

Yeah, but if rainfalls patterns change you get drier conditions. Warmer and drier gives you better wildfires.

If the AGW predictions are accurate, Texas is going to be in very, very bad shape.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 7:26 pm

Nuclear weapons for global warming!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTdy1Yp1h5A[/youtube]

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:00 am

Posted with less comment than dionysian tends to give and with no intent, Lyndon - sorry, I should say Sand - other than to inform and amaze.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2011/ ... mauna-kea/

God provides the data, all else is the work of man [paraphrased from Kronecker]

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:08 am

Philologos wrote:
I am tempted to do either of of a couple serious comments or one of a couple three snappy comebacks, but it has been a long tired day and my feet hurt. So I won't.

HOWEVER - I just noticed you claim to be out of Germantown While my mother [and I and her mother before her] was born in Baltimore, on her father's side we were Keedys and Adamses out of Washington Co. I note one division of Germantown is Clopper village, which MAY - or may not - be thew Cloppers who are one of our ingredeients.

Based on what today feels like, and what Hagerstown was like in July of 1986, I am betting you are keeping warm enough.

I went to my last couple years of elementary school at a school named Clopper Mill. Spent much of my teenage years in a townhouse just off of Clopper Road. Across from me was a grocery store whose parking lot surrounded an old family burial site that has half a dozen graves, most being Cloppers.

No, it's not very cold here. :D

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:13 am

Philologos wrote:
Posted with less comment than dionysian tends to give and with no intent, Lyndon - sorry, I should say Sand - other than to inform and amaze.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2011/ ... mauna-kea/

God provides the data, all else is the work of man [paraphrased from Kronecker]

From your video:

“It was hailing in Waimea!” said Pam. “I dont know if it has to do the with the world climate change, or what.”

Clearly this is an absurd statement. Climate change is another term for Global Warming. And it's less likely to snow when it is warm.

(Although, she also refers to it as hail? Which is a summer/warm weather phenomenon... She probably just doesn't know what she's talking about)

Definitely not Global WARMING. Duh.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:20 am

dionysian wrote:
Philologos wrote:

I went to my last couple years of elementary school at a school named Clopper Mill. Spent much of my teenage years in a townhouse just off of Clopper Road. Across from me was a grocery store whose parking lot surrounded an old family burial site that has half a dozen graves, most being Cloppers.

No, it's not very cold here. :D

Urgh. No. Not even looking at the Celsius temp...

Whenever the day is done."

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:23 am

I used to live in Baltimore County, and still have family there. Where are you? I've lived in Towson, Cockeysville, Sparks and Monkton. I also attended Community College briefly in Catonsville and Essex. :D

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:30 am

dionysian wrote:
I used to live in Baltimore County, and still have family there. Where are you? I've lived in Towson, Cockeysville, Sparks and Monkton. I also attended Community College briefly in Catonsville and Essex. :D

Technically Catonsville, though most of my waking time is spent in Ellicott City. Used to live out in Timonium - think I like this end of the county better. More of a backwater; Timonium/Towson was too geared to the university kids and their trendy stores.

(Give it a couple weeks, and I'll be wherever the raspberries are ripe...wonderfully repetitive detail work, and tasty results - easily the best part of a Maryland summer!)

Whenever the day is done."

Last edited by Natty_Boh on 08 Jun 2011, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:39 am

Natty_Boh wrote:
dionysian wrote:

Technically Catonsville, though most of my waking time is spent in Ellicott City. Used to live out in Timonium - think I like this end of the county better. More of a backwater; Timonium/Towson was too geared to the university kids and their trendy stores.

Cool. I've got family in Ellicott City. :)

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL