Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:37 am

I like to download game demos for DOSBox. I've got demos of Doom and Quake, both from id Software. Apparently, the only way you can get the full version is by calling id Software and ordering it. I'm just wondering if this is still possible, considering that these games were made 15+ years ago. I don't even know if id Software still exists.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 11:56 am

I'm not certain about the availability of those games, but ID Software does still exist, now (possibly even back then) as a part of ZeniMax Media.

Idsoftware.com

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm

Some games can be found on abandonware sites like Abandonia.

A number of games are approved by the producers, some are a bit in the gray area.

Abandonia Reloaded is okay, there are free games and remakes (not MS DOS however).

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:27 am

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
I've got demos of Doom and Quake, both from id Software.

There are source ports for both of those games, so you don't have to play them in DOS if you don't want to ;)

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
Apparently, the only way you can get the full version is by calling id Software and ordering it.

I don't know if they still take phone orders, but you can still find collections that contain those games for pretty cheap in stores.

Or you can buy them off Steam, but their version of Quake doesn't include the CD soundtrack, so you'd either have to pirate that or live without.

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
I don't even know if id Software still exists.

They very much still exist, though Adrien and Romero aren't there anymore. I don't think Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen are there anymore either, but I could be wrong.

They're up to DOOM 3 now (with rumors of a fourth) and Quake 4 (which was outsourced to Raven, who also did the last Wolfenstein game), and are going to be releasing a new IP, RAGE, some time soon.

kc8ufv wrote:
...ID Software does still exist, now (possibly even back then) as a part of ZeniMax Media.

No, the ZeniMax merger is something quite recent.

Actually, Wikipedia says it happened in June 2009. Time flies.

They'd been published by Activision for about a decade or so before that happened.

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2011, 3:24 am

Anyone remember commander keen?