Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 8:51 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
What, exactly, is it about reincarnation that you don't really like?

I just can't perceive the truth of it. It just seems to be revealed truth. I'm very suspicious of claims of revelation of things which can't be demonstrated to me. Reincarnation seems to be one of those things you've just got to take at face value without questioning too much.

That being said, many individuals far more enlightened than me profess a belief in reincarnation... So who knows. It just isn't something that I can intuitively incorporate into my spiritual thought. And for me, if I can't intuitively perceive the truth in something, it is an impediment to my spiritual growth... I get lost in my own head trying to convince myself of things I don't believe in.

Quote:
Huh... I always kind of liked that bit of Taoism. Could you elaborate on why you do not like alchemy or energy flows?

Similar to reincarnation, I just don't see the basis for it. It's unintuitive, and distracting. Again, I'm not going to claim to be the most spiritually evolved person, and there may be something to these things. Certainly many people I've found myself generally aligned with find them to be of value.. I must remain agnostic on them.

My differences with Buddhism and Taoism aren't intended to be indictments. They're just areas where we agree to disagree....

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 8:55 pm

dionysian wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
What, exactly, is it about reincarnation that you don't really like?

I just can't perceive the truth of it. It just seems to be revealed truth. I'm very suspicious of claims of revelation of things which can't be demonstrated to me. Reincarnation seems to be one of those things you've just got to take at face value without questioning too much.

That being said, many individuals far more enlightened than me profess a belief in reincarnation... So who knows. It just isn't something that I can intuitively incorporate into my spiritual thought. And for me, if I can't intuitively perceive the truth in something, it is an impediment to my spiritual growth... I get lost in my own head trying to convince myself of things I don't believe in.

Quote:
Huh... I always kind of liked that bit of Taoism. Could you elaborate on why you do not like alchemy or energy flows?

Similar to reincarnation, I just don't see the basis for it. It's unintuitive, and distracting. Again, I'm not going to claim to be the most spiritually evolved person, and there may be something to these things. Certainly many people I've found myself generally aligned with find them to be of value.. I must remain agnostic on them.

My differences with Buddhism and Taoism aren't intended to be indictments. They're just areas where we agree to disagree....

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my silly questions. :-)

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 8:57 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

They're good questions. :)

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:03 pm

dionysian wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Lots of good things are very silly.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:04 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
dionysian wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

How true!

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 10:38 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I would like to know a few things about y'all.

Do you consider yourself religious, spiritual, or other?

Do you follow the same path you were raised in?

If not, what made you choose a different path?

Please keep this as civil as possible. I am not looking for a flame war or a heated debate. I am reconsidering my own path and just want personal experiences/perspectives. Thank you.

Powerful religious arguments that appeal to my heart and my mind might make me - i guess you can say spiritual - and "move" me emotionally. For example, reading the story of Abraham, and seeing commentary on what a tragic figure he is made me tear up. But it was because of the human element involved, not spirituality.That said... for the most part, I am not really spiritual - most of what moves me in the torah is the human element involved. I don't get or understand spiritually very well, and it doesn't come naturally to me.

My Family is either one of the many sects of Christianity or Mormon.

I rate religion by how intellectually sound I feel it is. I am just a theist who subscribes to Judeo-Christian principles and values with some influences from Buddhism although Judaism is currently my main focus. Goodness is not confined to Judaism or Christianity so I also take a little from all the other faiths, so long as it doesn't stand at ends with my Judeo-Christianity principles and values.

The spiritual types don't scare or concern me(like it's not a human quality that irks me). It is a quality I envy and find them a higher level of being since spirituality is unique to our species, and to those within our species who have it.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 11:53 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Powerful religious arguments that appeal to my heart and my mind might make me - i guess you can say spiritual - and "move" me emotionally. For example, reading the story of Abraham, and seeing commentary on what a tragic figure he is made me tear up. But it was because of the human element involved, not spirituality.That said... for the most part, I am not really spiritual - most of what moves me in the torah is the human element involved. I don't get or understand spiritually very well, and it doesn't come naturally to me.

I rate religion by how intellectually sound I feel it is. I am just a theist who subscribes to Judeo-Christian principles and values with some influences from Buddhism although Judaism is currently my main focus. Goodness is not confined to Judaism or Christianity so I also take a little from all the other faiths, so long as it doesn't stand at ends with my Judeo-Christianity principles and values.

The spiritual types don't scare or concern me(like it's not a human quality that irks me). It is a quality I envy and find them a higher level of being since spirituality is unique to our species, and to those within our species who have it.

Were you raised Mormon?

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 2:52 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:

Were you raised Mormon?

lol why? And no, but a the majority of my family are.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 8:48 am

Reincarnation:

my take on reincarnation has been and remains:

1. If I ever encountered solid evidence supporting some form of reincarnation I would find a niche for it.

2. Emotionally [though I do not let this interfere with the evaluation of evidence] I see reincarnation, or the Big Bang / Crunch cycle, or my sister's repetitive entropy [I do not know if that asumed Bang Crunch] as the ultimate hell. Infinite futile inescapable torture [I have not enjoyed all aspects of life and given the chance would opt out of repeating them]

3. Nirvana [I am always tempted to write Nibbana just to show off] seems to provide [though not to my mind certainly] a way off the wheel, but given the conditions one's chances are less than those of a lab rat finding its way out of the maze, out of the lab, out of the building, across New York to a particular park on Long Island on the first attempt. The purpose [I will continue to use and defend the word against the purposeless] of going through dreary sequences of incarnations, rising or falling by merit, when one does not retain any of the lessons learned in previous existences] is not by me conceivable and beats the worst cruelties Christian based atheists attribute to God. The past life regression is by no means convincing, and to steer a course toward Nirvana by anything but Brownian motion you need access to past life lessons.

4.You COULD devise a form of reincarnation which would fit a linear finite universe and COULD use it to deal with where do new souls come from, but I have not encountered nor conceived of any non-hokey scenario.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 9:10 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I do not count religion and spirituality as the same thing. Religious people follow a pre-determined path with stringent rules in place. Spiritual people often follow a windy road that splits off into many different directions and is not generally well traveled.

A spiritual person can belong to a religion, but a religious person is too set on their clearly defined path to be spiritual.

At least, that's how I see it.

I would say about the same. A paid guide can take ticketed patrons on an interesting tour, but everyone must "follow a pre-determined path with stringent rules" in order for things to go well ...

... but then there is the matter of how that guide even came to be one, and I have come to appreciate the ability to navigate the same course in a free-form kind of way.

So then, I would say religion introduced me to religiosity and sanctimony, but then life itself drove me to a point of needing to learn to live by spiritual principles in much the same way survivalists can actually survive in almost any kind of environment or setting.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 12:18 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
dionysian wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

One of my big Hyuck hyuck lines from days in the classroom:

"There is no such thing as a silly question, there are only people too silly to ask them."

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:

I was just wondering. I was raised Mormon.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 12:51 pm

leejosepho wrote:
I would say about the same. A paid guide can take ticketed patrons on an interesting tour, but everyone must "follow a pre-determined path with stringent rules" in order for things to go well ...

... but then there is the matter of how that guide even came to be one, and I have come to appreciate the ability to navigate the same course in a free-form kind of way.

I think it depends on what guide you speak of. Someone like Jesus that was the basis for Christianity was spiritual and forged his own paths, but I wouldn't say people like that Pope or a Pastor are spiritual. They are deeply religious.

Quote:
So then, I would say religion introduced me to religiosity and sanctimony, but then life itself drove me to a point of needing to learn to live by spiritual principles in much the same way survivalists can actually survive in almost any kind of environment or setting.

Life itself is the great catalyst, isn't it?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 12:53 pm

Philologos wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
dionysian wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

One of my big Hyuck hyuck lines from days in the classroom:

"There is no such thing as a silly question, there are only people too silly to ask them."

I understand why someone would need to say that in such a setting, but although I highly value my spirituality I also realize in the end it's meaningless.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me, but there it is. :lol:

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 1:16 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:

Were you raised Mormon?

I get partial point for guessing mormon do I get any for guessing Tongan?
:lol:

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 11:24 am

JakobVirgil wrote:
Were you raised Mormon?

lol why? And no, but a the majority of my family are.[/quote]
I get partial point for guessing mormon do I get any for guessing Tongan?
:lol:[/quote]

Why Tongan? Intriguing language - one queries whether Tongan > built up or Hawaiian > worn down.