What makes Junk Food soo irresistable??! !

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

dwoolridge
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2011, 10:40 pm

I guess the taste of some of thefoods is so good that is the man reasons they are really irresistable

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 10:42 pm

For me, it's the taste of the junk food.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 10:51 pm

dwoolridge wrote:

Salt
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Saturated Fat

My theory:
Human brain has some primitive hard wired preferences for sweets and fats. These things are rare in a hunter/gatherer diet, and indicate reliable sources of energy. Highly sought after. So these foods trigger all the reward signals in the brain.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jun 2011, 10:53 pm

The taste & I like how it's easy(you don't need to cook it or anything in order to eat it)

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 09 Jun 2011, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 11:10 pm

Carbs and Sugar

Blood sugar spikes, then falls, experience sugar crash, then get hungry again.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2011, 11:24 pm

Acacia wrote:
dwoolridge wrote:

Salt
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Saturated Fat

My theory:
Human brain has some primitive hard wired preferences for sweets and fats. These things are rare in a hunter/gatherer diet, and indicate reliable sources of energy. Highly sought after. So these foods trigger all the reward signals in the brain.

MSG -Monosodium glutamate

a lot of junk food has this additive too. Doesn't make things unhealthy; but sure does make it addictive! Well some people are more sensitive to it and will have a noisy bowls after eating it (the sounds-of-unrest your tummy makes if you eat a medium-done gourmet hamburger).

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

10 Jun 2011, 12:01 am

also beware of the label "natrual flavors" and "artifical flavors". These are not flavors at all, but the FDA allows them as a label for thousands of different chemicals which turn off "full"recptors to the brain, and increase appitite and some are highly addictive. If you dont believe me...try this experiement. eat 2 big bags of doritos...and you will notice that you are even hungryier than before you ate them and you have no sensation of being full. Now the next day, eat something like meat and veggies in the same proprtions as those doritios and see how full you are then. You will be stuffed to the gills.
Its the chemicals that cause junk food to be irristable.

ALso if you go off of junk food and eat only fresh foods, no prepared foods, you will notice a withdrawl that will last for about a week.

When asked about the safety of these chemicals, the author of the book I read on it...I forgot the name, but a quick brose though an organic co-op library and you will find it.

He asked the FDA agent "if you put any one of these chemicals in a glass of water...would you drink it." The person from the FDA after a long pause, said "no." I wish I remebered the name of the book...it is a worthwhile read, but my memory fails me since it was so long ago that I read it.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 12:05 am

CARBS!! !! !!

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2011, 10:22 am

jojobean wrote:
also beware of the label "natrual flavors" and "artifical flavors". These are not flavors at all, but the FDA allows them as a label for thousands of different chemicals which turn off "full"recptors to the brain, and increase appitite and some are highly addictive. If you dont believe me...try this experiement. eat 2 big bags of doritos...and you will notice that you are even hungryier than before you ate them and you have no sensation of being full. Now the next day, eat something like meat and veggies in the same proprtions as those doritios and see how full you are then. You will be stuffed to the gills.

ALso if you go off of junk food and eat only fresh foods, no prepared foods, you will notice a withdrawl that will last for about a week.

When asked about the safety of these chemicals, the author of the book I read on it...I forgot the name, but a quick brose though an organic co-op library and you will find it.

He asked the FDA agent "if you put any one of these chemicals in a glass of water...would you drink it." The person from the FDA after a long pause, said "no." I wish I remebered the name of the book...it is a worthwhile read, but my memory fails me since it was so long ago that I read it.

That is just health-awareness hype and should be taken with a grain of salt; as it is all theory.
The research-backed reason for the above phenomena would be that it is not related to those flavoring additives; It is one's body's natural response of insulin and re-balancing the sugar levels in your system. Eating slow-digesting starches from vegetables will not give the same effect as glucose-tolerance-test-like blast eating two bags of doritoes will do.

With quick-digesting glucose-sources, you insulin response will be harsher and your blood glucose levels will go way down. Thus you will feel weird for a while till you body regains its balance and brings back your glucose levels up again. Following alongside this is the response to ghrelin, which is suppressed right after eating simple carbs, but relapses higher than initially (making you hungrier than before). [ghrelin, in simplest terms, makes you feel hungry]

EDIT: I made the ghrelin sound like a tangent; but it is actually the more significant factor here.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 6:56 am

Guess what if natural food tasted like junk food more people would eat it.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 7:29 am

The adverts

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 7:32 am

It gives me the powerful build needed to scare off pigs and predators. :twisted:

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 7:50 am

jojobean wrote:

Whatever the actual details might be, this is why the adverts say, "I bet you can't eat just one!"

They already know the craving "just one" will set off.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 10:12 pm

Acacia wrote:
dwoolridge wrote:

Salt
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Saturated Fat

My theory:

+1 The crap is horrible for you...but it's AWESOME. :twisted:

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 10:14 pm

Again it tastes good. If it didnt taste good would you eat it?