Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:46 pm

At first, I was very interested in this PPR forum, and most of my posts on WP were in it. Now my interest is diminishing. For several reasons.

1. Such a large flood of posts (a portion of which would be considered "spam" on others forums). When you post something, and in a day there are 80 responses to it, what you have to say gets buried under many irrelevant posts which deviate from the actual topic, and ultimately ignored.

2. The views of this community are mostly uniform. A majority of the active members are atheist and a majority of the active members are liberal or libertarian. Either everyone agrees with each other, or its a lopsided debate.

3. It's predictable. Even though the news changes daily, the topics rarely do. I will always expect there to be new topics about how religion is irrational, about something stupid a Republican activist said, etc. And the same debate topics get recycled, which isn't bad because new users come and want to talk about those things, but after debating on these forums for a while, you get jaded from talking about the same things over and over again.

Of course, I am likely get a few snarky comments on this thread such as "well, if you don't like this forum, don't post on it", but I am simply expressing why I am losing interest in this forum.

I've talked to some people on this forum in private who said that they used to post a lot on PPR, but now they rarely do. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the way I feel.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

I must admit it baffles me why people continue posting the same threads stating the same positions ad-nauseum. Each to their own I suppose.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:55 pm

Most of my posts get ignored or misunderstood. It's a real problem. If people paid more attention to my posts and tried to really understand what I was saying and respond intelligently, this place would be a lot better.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:57 pm

dionysian wrote:
Most of my posts get ignored or misunderstood. It's a real problem. If people paid more attention to my posts and tried to really understand what I was saying and respond intelligently, this place would be a lot better.

I could manage the first part of that, but you'll never get an intelligent response from me! :lol:

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 2:20 pm

dionysian wrote:

May we never lack a friend or a snappy comeback for him.

[is that picture you or who? If who Number 1 Son would likely know, but I am not up on such things]

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 2:34 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I must admit it baffles me why people continue posting the same threads stating the same positions ad-nauseum. Each to their own I suppose.

Heck, the really odd thing is the people who don't even try to think things out and still want to post the same things. I mean, how often does "Your god is a lie!" have to be posted? Or so on and so forth.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 2:35 pm

dionysian wrote:

More like your posts are recognized and rejected, with the rejection as an intelligent response.

In any case, I see that somebody's head needs a little bit of deflating.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 2:38 pm

minervx wrote:
At first, I was very interested in this PPR forum, and most of my posts on WP were in it. Now my interest is diminishing. For several reasons.

1. Such a large flood of posts (a portion of which would be considered "spam" on others forums). When you post something, and in a day there are 80 responses to it, what you have to say gets buried under many irrelevant posts which deviate from the actual topic, and ultimately ignored.

2. The views of this community are mostly uniform. A majority of the active members are atheist and a majority of the active members are liberal or libertarian. Either everyone agrees with each other, or its a lopsided debate.

3. It's predictable. Even though the news changes daily, the topics rarely do. I will always expect there to be new topics about how religion is irrational, about something stupid a Republican activist said, etc. And the same debate topics get recycled, which isn't bad because new users come and want to talk about those things, but after debating on these forums for a while, you get jaded from talking about the same things over and over again.

Of course, I am likely get a few snarky comments on this thread such as "well, if you don't like this forum, don't post on it", but I am simply expressing why I am losing interest in this forum.

I've talked to some people on this forum in private who said that they used to post a lot on PPR, but now they rarely do. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the way I feel.

Accurate assessment

These are among the reasons I tend not to use PPR as a platform for useful activity.

It's okay for a bit of perverse comedy posting now and then.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 2:57 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
dionysian wrote:

More like your posts are recognized and rejected, with the rejection as an intelligent response.

I've been working on you off and on. Takes time to deflate one who labels himself Awesomely Glorious.

BurntOutMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm

Philologos snarky?

See, things aren't always the same around here!

Thanks for the chuckle. :wink:

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 3:15 pm

Philologos wrote:
dionysian wrote:

May we never lack a friend or a snappy comeback for him.

[is that picture you or who? If who Number 1 Son would likely know, but I am not up on such things]

It is Trey Anastasio. My favorite guitarist.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

BurntOutMom wrote:
Philologos snarky?

Snarky? Not the way I heard that used for about 20 years by one for whom it was native language material [alien to me]. That was INTENDED to be one of dem dere snappy comebacks.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
dionysian wrote:

This could not be further from the truth.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

BurntOutMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 3:25 pm

Philologos wrote:
BurntOutMom wrote:
Philologos snarky?

Snarky? Not the way I heard that used for about 20 years by one for whom it was native language material [alien to me]. That was INTENDED to be one of dem dere snappy comebacks.

It was that too! and.......... When ever I had a witty comeback my grandma used to wag her finger at me and say, "Don't you get snarky with me, young lady"... so perhaps gran used it wrong... However, I chuckled.. and thought you were quite snappy.

(However, I think that AG's name is name has a sassy quality to it... which is much good. Me likes the sassiness.)

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 4:00 pm

Philologos wrote:
I've been working on you off and on. Takes time to deflate one who labels himself Awesomely Glorious.

You do realize that it is not likely to work. Philologos, you do realize that deflating me will usually entail a display that causes me to have to recognize your special competence in a manner where I am engaged, don't you? The issue is that even if I do not dismiss you, I am less sure of what I can learn from you, as even if you have knowledge, you put it into terms that makes the matter more difficult. (And as well, you actually have not tended to display special knowledge, as even your linguistics background either is not used by you to clarify the thinking and ideas of others here, or what you knew is not applicable to these debates)

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 4:14 pm

minervx wrote:

I don't like the useless posts either. I mean, while poster quality isn't always uniform, there are a number of posters who have a strong tendency towards bad posts.

Quote:

Yeah..... I can understand that. Atheists are more vocal on the internet. There are definite areas where I think atheist posters have gone beyond any justifiable lines and into trolling though, and I am opposed to that. I am not a civility freak by any means, I've had mods talk to me before, but, some of this behavior seems to go too far.

The liberal-libertarian thing is pretty common on the internet, as social conservatism just isn't popular on the internet for whatever sociological reason.

Quote:

I am a long-time poster. I do not have these feelings. However, I think I can understand a lot of them.