Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 5:44 am

by pressuring weiner to resign, this will probably affect the democratic party in a way favorable to them, by convincing the public that they have moral standards.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 8:32 am

minervx wrote:
by pressuring weiner to resign, this will probably affect the democratic party in a way favorable to them, by convincing the public that they have moral standards.

Can we amend that to "suggesting"? If you have working memory, the "Clinton is the greatest prexy ever and fooling around and lying and getting caught does not detract from his feminism" bit is hard to put out of the mind.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 10:36 am

Well, at least he wasn't sending these pictures to boys.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 4:19 pm

unfortunately for him, he seems to have thoroughly stepped on his. the last thing the dems need is for somebody like him to hurt himself this way. his poor wife is in a tough place as well. but worse for him would be if he were caught with a dead girl or a live boy, so he is not totally ruined at this point, but still distressingly close enough to it.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 4:50 pm

Bill Maher and Jane Lynch savaged him. It was pretty funny.

He still might survive but the volume of detail is hurting him. We live in an age where young women are not ashamed to reveal explicit sexual details to the public. Once we reach the point where men will dish as freely in public, professional women will be in big trouble.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 3:55 am

I'm sorry to see Weiner go, as he was one of the few Democrats with balls of fire. But right now, with elections in the not-so-far future, I can see how he could be perceived as a liability. Especially since Republicans so shamelessly push themselves as the party of family values - - which they actually have little or none of.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 4:02 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm sorry to see Weiner go, as he was one of the few Democrats with balls of fire. But right now, with elections in the not-so-far future, I can see how he could be perceived as a liability. Especially since Republicans so shamelessly push themselves as the party of family values - - which they actually have little or none of.

Hmmm, we say the same about you all.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 4:19 am

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Hmmm, we say the same about you all.

I should correct myself - I am not speaking about every Republican being a hypocrite. In fact, the many Republicans I personally know are in fact decent people with values. But many in Republican party leadership and activists have created an image of being the paragons of virtue and protectors of morality, when in not living up to their own self made image.
And sure, Democrats are just as likely to be lying scumbags, adulterers, and pedophiles - but the only difference is, the Democrats never claimed to be the party of family values. Especially since so called family values very often provides a means to bash gays or religious minorities like Muslims.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 4:27 am

some disorganized thoughts-

"east is east, west is west, and never the twain shall meet." when i was young, it was drilled into our heads that one shouldn't discuss hot topics in mixed company, that it just makes for a pissing contest that brings out the bullies on all sides butting each other's heads. one side will never change the other side. people who see themselves [or their party] as a cut above will generally not acknowledge the humanity of those they consider beneath them. it all reminds me of what the late kate hepburn said about marriage, [paraphrasing] "some people are not so well suited for each other, so maybe they should just live next door and drop in now and then" - next door on the other side of a big fence, and skip the dropping-in part.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 4:30 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Really? How much do you actually know about Weiner before he decided to make a career out of yelling on television? There is a reason that his colleagues in the Democratic party turned on him so quickly, namely that he's widely seen as an obnoxious self promoter that hasn't accomplished anything on his own and threatens delicate negotiations with his theatrics. Even Salon has some pretty ugly things to say about him, and they're hardly a nest of Republican sympathy over there...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 4:37 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Really? How much do you actually know about Weiner before he decided to make a career out of yelling on television? There is a reason that his colleagues in the Democratic party turned on him so quickly, namely that he's widely seen as an obnoxious self promoter that hasn't accomplished anything on his own and threatens delicate negotiations with his theatrics. Even Salon has some pretty ugly things to say about him, and they're hardly a nest of Republican sympathy over there...

Just my personal observation that he had taken up the fight for the 9/11 first responders, and really gave the congressional Republicans a real bitching out for voting against helping them in a time of medical need. I was in fact very impressed and moved by that, despite the bad things I have since heard about him.