Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

arko5
Raven
Raven

14 Jun 2011, 12:25 pm

Is anyone else here working their way through the imdb top 250? I wanted to watch more 'good' films so I decided to use the list, I've currently seen 206 of them (might make that 207 tonight). It's quite satisfying when you're 'forced' to watch a film you may have been reluctant to try, only to find it was really good. It can open up whole new genres/directors/actors to explore, something to do when I'm at 250. The only downside seems to be that it makes me ridiculously critical of any average films.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 1:44 pm

the IMDB only has the well known top movies, they arn't necessarily the best, just big blockbusters and such.

My favorite I tihnk is This Is England.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 7:18 pm

I stopped reading when I saw that Inception was #9 and The Dark Knight was #10. This list is far too easily influenced by fanboy hype.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 11:18 pm

I AM SO CLOSE!! ! I only need to see The Celebration and Sleuth. Unfortunately, the DVD for Sleuth has been out of print for nearly a decade, so even Netflix doesn't carry it. I have it on my favorites list to record on my TiVO, but who knows when and where they'll show it?

On the brighter side, Celebration is in the mail and should be here tomorrow. After that, it's either get lucky with a copy of Sleuth or pray that something knocks it off the list (at #230, that's not very likely).

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 11:21 pm

Jory wrote:
This list is far too easily influenced by fanboy hype.

You think the Top 250 is bad, you should check out the Bottom 100 list. Well over half the films on there are voted on solely by reputation and not by people who have actually viewed them.

WoodenBoy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2011, 5:01 am

arko5 wrote:
Is anyone else here working their way through the imdb top 250? I wanted to watch more 'good' films so I decided to use the list, I've currently seen 206 of them (might make that 207 tonight). It's quite satisfying when you're 'forced' to watch a film you may have been reluctant to try, only to find it was really good. It can open up whole new genres/directors/actors to explore, something to do when I'm at 250. The only downside seems to be that it makes me ridiculously critical of any average films.

I'm not exactly working my way through this list, but it is a good place to get ideas when I can't think of anything to watch. I've seen about 180 of them I think. Yeah it is quite hard to convince yourself to watch some of them - a lot of the older ones especially just don't sound very appealing. I'm rarely disappointed when I make the effort though :)

An alternative source is metacritic. It's based on scores from critics, so is less biased towards the flashy "epic" movies, but has more of the horribly bleak and "arty" movies that can be hard to watch.
I think this link gives you the nearest approximation to their "top films" list -
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/dvds/r ... w=detailed

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 6:14 am

WoodenBoy wrote:
arko5 wrote:

I'm not exactly working my way through this list, but it is a good place to get ideas when I can't think of anything to watch. I've seen about 180 of them I think. Yeah it is quite hard to convince yourself to watch some of them - a lot of the older ones especially just don't sound very appealing. I'm rarely disappointed when I make the effort though :)

An alternative source is metacritic. It's based on scores from critics, so is less biased towards the flashy "epic" movies, but has more of the horribly bleak and "arty" movies that can be hard to watch.
I think this link gives you the nearest approximation to their "top films" list -
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/dvds/r ... w=detailed

That metacritic site looks awesome. I found I am able to watch Carlos the miniseries and Umberto D on netflix. Thanx.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:25 am

Also time has one at http://www.time.com/time/specials/packa ... 20,00.html