Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2006, 12:06 pm

Diamonddavej wrote:
Schizoid PD is just an old name for Asperger’s.

Wrong! Asperger's disorder and schizoid personality disorder both appear in the DSM-IV-TR (Asperger's under Axis I and Schizoid PD under Axis II). Asperger's syndrome and schizoid personality disorder both appear in the ICD-10 as well. In other words, both diagnoses are used in current psychiatric diagnostic systems.

Quote:
1. A pervasive pattern of detachment from social relationships and a restricted range of expression of emotions in interpersonal settings, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:
1. neither desires nor enjoys close relationships, including being part of a family
2. almost always chooses solitary activities
3. has little, if any, interest in having sexual experiences with another person
4. takes pleasure in few, if any, activities
5. lacks close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
6. appears indifferent to the praise or criticism of others
7. shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affectivity
2. Does not occur exclusively during the course of Schizophrenia, a Mood Disorder With Psychotic Features, another Psychotic Disorder, or a Pervasive Developmental Disorder and is not due to the direct physiological effects of a general medical condition.

Note: If criteria are met prior to the onset of Schizophrenia, add "Premorbid," e.g., "Schizoid Personality Disorder (Premorbid).

A schizoid may choose solitary activities and avoid social relationships because they do not enjoy such things. A person with AS may not have the choice because their social skills do not enable them to make friends. They may also take great pleasure in things and have some capacity to express emotions.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2006, 12:17 pm

psych wrote:
Diamonddavej wrote:
..But to me, he is just nuts and you are not going to change my mind, so let’s leave it at that… Please.

Fair enough, but if your not prepared to debate then i think its innapropriate to state, matter of factly that a person has a) a diagnosable personality disorder & b) anti-semitic tone. Those are only your opinions.

Why not? Not every idea needs to be weighed and considered seriously. It is ludicrous to believe that people need to engage in tedious, lengthy debate for evey opinion they hold that some else might disagree with. I happen to agree with Diamonddavej that this Icke fellow seems to have an anti-Semitic tone (as well as delusional) tone to his writing. If you can't grasp this from the supplied quotes, well, you're probably playing devil's advocate.

I think President George W. Bush is foolish. His foreign policy is blundersome (e.g., the invasion and occupation of Iraq). Do I want to debate these opinions further? Not really, not right now. Does that mean I can't express them? Certainly not.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2006, 6:22 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Why not? Not every idea needs to be weighed and considered seriously. It is ludicrous to believe that people need to engage in tedious, lengthy debate for evey opinion they hold that some else might disagree with. I happen to agree with Diamonddavej that this Icke fellow seems to have an anti-Semitic tone (as well as delusional) tone to his writing. If you can't grasp this from the supplied quotes, well, you're probably playing devil's advocate.

Its all about context. The (frequently) supplied quotes are not reflective of his tone overall, which is in essence precisely the opposite of racial predujice. To someone familiar with his overall message, the idea that he might be racist would seem quite ludicrous.

Quote:
I think President George W. Bush is foolish. His foreign policy is blundersome (e.g., the invasion and occupation of Iraq). Do I want to debate these opinions further? Not really, not right now. Does that mean I can't express them? Certainly not.

saying 'i suspect/think David Icke may have schiztotypal PD' would have been fine.

saying 'David Icke HAS schitzotypal PD' is different. People might assume this to be established fact ie an actual diagnosis, rather than someones opinion.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2006, 9:10 pm

Thanks for the clarification om schizoid PD.....It deffinatly does not applie to me as I had previously assumed...AS still seems like a much better fit....they may have similiar outer appearance of such "symptoms" as lack of socialization but the cause behind it appears totally different...I did tend to avoid people sometimes because I found them boring(not interested in" my" interests and not intellectually curiouse in general) or stupid(illogical)but I WANTED to find people and have a family that I could be a part of...that is the bigest difference to me.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2006, 10:57 am

Someone asked me what the benefits of presenting more logical AS symptoms instead of what looks more like schizopypal symptoms to a psychiatrist or anyone I was talking to - because you don't get sympathy for having AS anymore than schizotypal - and that is true - but psychaitrists don't get nearly so upset when you say 'Well, I just don't connect to people - they are just so boring and aren't interested in any of the things that I am - like sharks - did you know that great whites can live for over 100 years?' etc . . . than 'Yeah, and the other day, I was talking with the logical part of myself and he said that I was being a real idiot by being upset by this annoying person at work, but then the emotional bit is still really upset, and, of course, my sensory self doesn't give a rat's butt about any of this and is really just wishing we would go open up one of those glow sticks we bought at Wal-Mart today . . .'
Trust me, I was going to be a psychologist for years and that second statement sends up all sorts of big warning flags . . . I really sort of like living alone and not being institutionalized so I manage what I say . . .