When did you start wanting a normal social life...if ever?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

When did you start wanting a normal social life?
I've always wanted a normal social life. 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
When I realized I didn't have one (state age) 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Never. 24%  24%  [ 16 ]
I used to but I don't anymore. 21%  21%  [ 14 ]
Elementary School 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Teenage years. 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Adulthood 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
Other (explain) 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 66

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 11:11 pm

Some people with AS/ASD desperately want a normal social life and others are content without one. Where do you place?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

14 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm

Ever since I was in the 3rd grade, I realized that I was different, but could not put my finger on it. I spent most of my life feeling like I was dropped out of space onto my head....I didn't know why until I saw Temple grandin on 60 minutes when I was 28...then I said...THATS ME!!
After much research and a confession from my mom, I found out that I was already diagnosed when I was a 8 years old but she never told me cause she did not want to "label" me.

Now I just try to be me, but sometimes still feel like I been droped on my head from some alien ship. Neverless I am a card carrying member of WP!! !

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm

When I was younger, I knew I was different but I had no idea why. I never wanted to socialize and when my mom forced me to I was miserable. Today, I can be in crowds well enough(I just pretend no one exists) but I'm most comfortable either at home, or in a corner of a bookstore reading. I have no desire to socialize or make friends. It's not a "people suck" thing or a "screw the world" thing, I just don't want to do it.

AbleBaker
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jun 2011, 12:53 am

Same with me. I was always a loner. As a kid I somehow expected I would "grow up" and do what everyone else was doing but it just never happened.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2011, 1:48 am

I think I started wanting a more normal social life in my early- mid teens, but never could figure out how to!
Now I'm in a marriage to a woman who doesn't like it because of the limitations of my AS. :tongue: I cannot easily make "small talk", and this, in part, really bothers her...I also have other disorders that "stifle her".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 1:54 am

I'm happy being a lone wolf stalking the suburbs (only when my wife gives me permission).

No on a serious note having a social life is irritating for me. I like my quiet time.

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2011, 3:42 am

I haven't had a social life and have not met any potential friends since I arrived in Hong Kong last September. I finally plucked up courage and answered an ad to join a band. I met up with the guys last night and went for a few pints at the nearest music venue. The manager booked the band for its 1st gig on 1 July. Oh well!

I can now follow my interests, socialize and enjoy myself all at the same time.

The downside is that I have 2 weeks to learn a three hour set with nowhere to rehearse except for 2 one and a half hour sessions in a studio with the band. It's a good job playing bass is like riding a bike.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 5:06 am

I don't know what exactly "social life" means. I have friends, but I'm not socialize with people like others, and probably never will. I voted "I've always wanted a normal social life." because I never thought I wouldn't have one, I just couldn't imagine it for a long time.

AbleBaker wrote:
Same with me. I was always a loner. As a kid I somehow expected I would "grow up" and do what everyone else was doing but it just never happened.

Well, I expected too. It took a long time to happen, though (if ever). I hope I can say I'm ready to start out on the road having an own family, at last. To be honest, although I was ok being alone most of the time, not motivated enough to change it, I occasionally felt something was missing from my life.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Jun 2011, 5:06 am

Other. Really only for the last month or two, since I sorted out a lot of crap from my early life. I developed a liking for some of my neighbours. I'm curious to see where this might lead.

But - "normal social life"? Uh, I guess it depends what you mean. If it involves noise and crowds, then my response would be Never.

Maybe I'm thinking of peace on earth.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 5:28 am

I've wanted one but don't know how so I have given up and am relatively content with not having a social life, somewhat. Anyways, I've seen a lot of social activity at college, and it seems extremely boring to me.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 5:36 am

I don't desperately want one, but it would be nice, so I just "want" one. Not all the time, either. Sometimes I find myself wanting one more than I do at other times.
Anyways, the first time I really sensed that I wanted one was in April of 2011, so I was (and I still am) fifteen.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Jun 2011, 5:42 am

When I've wanted to socialize it is primarily for engaging in my interests, so I don't recall ever wanting a "normal social life." I've found attempts by others to include me in such to be intrusive (although I realize not intentionally so).

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 6:01 am

Never. For one, I have no real concept of what a normal social life is. I just know that I don't participate in social things in the same way that others do. Now that I am older and have a better idea of what "a social life" means, I just don't care that much.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:04 am

I've never wanted a social life. I wish I didn't have any kind of social life now. I'd be happier without one.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:25 am

I'd say I must have been around 9 or 10 years old when I realized there was nothing normal about my home life. I would overhear other kids talking about their families activities (they never involved me directly): shopping together, camping together, or just hanging out at home playing boardgames together. The only thing we did as a family had to do with my dad's SI antiques. It was decidedly not the same as doing fun stuff as a family. I tried to get mom & dad to play board games, but they always blew me off. I also felt like an intruder at home. The vibes my parents put out was that they really didn't want me there.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

SilverSolace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jun 2011, 10:29 am

When I realised how difficult or impossible it would be to get [a normal] one if I actually tried.