nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Jun 2011, 1:02 am

Chronos wrote:
GoatOnFire wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
fist-bump for Chronos!! !! hallelujah, seriously.

i am a token male amongst men in real life, but that is irrelevant to me because i am proud to be female. nonetheless, i didn't ever experience such loathing because of my gender until i came to WP. it is shocking to me, and nothing i've ever felt before...

Chronos wrote:
Here is something you might want to think about. I've always been in male dominated environments. Most of my classmates have been male, most of my friends have been male, most of my interests are shared primarily by males instead of females, most of the forums I post on are male dominated, and the field I am in now is male dominated, and in none of those realms have I ever had a problem. In none of those classrooms, in none of those forums, amongst none of my male friends or colleagues had I ever been the object of hatred based purely on my sex, until I came here, to WrongPlanet.

Here, in the one place where I was supposedly to find those who understood me and who would support me, I found myself attacked by men, who didn't even know me, simply because I was a woman. I found men who hated women because they could not get a date when they felt they deserved one.Men who proclaimed that women only liked jerks. That women only liked men who had money. That women with AS had it so much easier because they only had to sit there and look pretty to get a date when as I woman with AS I can tell you that certainly isn't the case.

I found myself under an attack I didn't provoke in a place I was supposed to find friends just because I was a woman.

That's a matter of 'welcome to the f***ing internet :D :) :? :( :cry: '.

You really think all of those guys spewing all this 'he man woman's hater's club' sh** would say that sh** to your face in real life.

More likely they'd react with "oh no, that be a female, I'm scared I need to go hide in my room". Or they just wouldn't say much, but they definitely wouldn't say the same stuff in real life that they say here.

Kind of the same principle of youtube comments. You have never seen the true ugliness of humanity until you read youtube comments. Internet anonymity.

You apparently skipped the bit where I stated most of the forums I post on are male dominated

WrongPlanet is not the only forum I post on. I've been posting on forums for about 15 years now, most male dominated. Most men just don't harbor such negative feelings towards women in general as some of the men here do. Notice I say some, because I've concluded that most of the men here do not harbor such negative feelings towards women in general. Most of them are more emotionally mature than that and more willing to accept that any shortcomings they have with women are just an extension of social impairments due to having AS, and are not the fault of women.

I've used lots of forums myself & in my experience the men & women on WP are generally a lot nicer towards each other than on most other forums I've used. Forums on dating sites are the worst & sense Aspies tend to have a harder time with relationships; it's understandable that people here would be more bitter

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 1:16 am

nick007 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
GoatOnFire wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

i am a token male amongst men in real life, but that is irrelevant to me because i am proud to be female. nonetheless, i didn't ever experience such loathing because of my gender until i came to WP. it is shocking to me, and nothing i've ever felt before...

Chronos wrote:
Here is something you might want to think about. I've always been in male dominated environments. Most of my classmates have been male, most of my friends have been male, most of my interests are shared primarily by males instead of females, most of the forums I post on are male dominated, and the field I am in now is male dominated, and in none of those realms have I ever had a problem. In none of those classrooms, in none of those forums, amongst none of my male friends or colleagues had I ever been the object of hatred based purely on my sex, until I came here, to WrongPlanet.

Here, in the one place where I was supposedly to find those who understood me and who would support me, I found myself attacked by men, who didn't even know me, simply because I was a woman. I found men who hated women because they could not get a date when they felt they deserved one.Men who proclaimed that women only liked jerks. That women only liked men who had money. That women with AS had it so much easier because they only had to sit there and look pretty to get a date when as I woman with AS I can tell you that certainly isn't the case.

I found myself under an attack I didn't provoke in a place I was supposed to find friends just because I was a woman.

You really think all of those guys spewing all this 'he man woman's hater's club' sh** would say that sh** to your face in real life.

More likely they'd react with "oh no, that be a female, I'm scared I need to go hide in my room". Or they just wouldn't say much, but they definitely wouldn't say the same stuff in real life that they say here.

Kind of the same principle of youtube comments. You have never seen the true ugliness of humanity until you read youtube comments. Internet anonymity.

You apparently skipped the bit where I stated most of the forums I post on are male dominated

WrongPlanet is not the only forum I post on. I've been posting on forums for about 15 years now, most male dominated. Most men just don't harbor such negative feelings towards women in general as some of the men here do. Notice I say some, because I've concluded that most of the men here do not harbor such negative feelings towards women in general. Most of them are more emotionally mature than that and more willing to accept that any shortcomings they have with women are just an extension of social impairments due to having AS, and are not the fault of women.

I've used lots of forums myself & in my experience the men & women on WP are generally a lot nicer towards each other than on most other forums I've used. Forums on dating sites are the worst & sense Aspies tend to have a harder time with relationships; it's understandable that people here would be more bitter

To be honest I'm skeptical many of those who come here and bring negative views of women with them all have AS. They may have AS but they might not. There are a lot of things that can cause social issues. And then there are people out there who are just @$$holes and try to use AS as an excuse. Or their spouses try to use it as an excuse because they can't come to terms with the fact that they married someone who is just an @$$hole (but that's a subject for a different post)

But anyone with AS who hasn't done so already needs to take a good look in the mirror and realize that the source of all of their social issues is within the person standing in front of them, and not the fault of anyone else, if it can even be considered someone's fault.

We are the odd ones out. We are the ones who do not play by the social rules of society. We are the problem with our social lives. It's a hard pill to swallow but it's the first step in learning to overcome one's difficulties.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 2:04 am

I've decided neither are worth getting involved with.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 2:12 am

Chronos wrote:
GoatOnFire wrote:

It isn't just the internet. It's a matter of the topic at hand. This is a love & dating forum for a group that is more socially frustrated than average. That frustration cloaked by the anonymity of the internet and it's not surprising that it can go that direction. Doesn't mean I endorse it, but it doesn't surprise me.

Chronos wrote:
But anyone with AS who hasn't done so already needs to take a good look in the mirror and realize that the source of all of their social issues is within the person standing in front of them, and not the fault of anyone else, if it can even be considered someone's fault.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I'm calling BS, here. The fault lies on a 50/50 split. Those of us with AS have natural problems, we can work on trying to fix those, but ultimately the decision for someone to like us is something that the other person decides. We can't force anyone to like us. What the other person chooses comes naturally to them, too, and with that choice is half of the fault. It takes at least two for an unsuccessful social interaction, that's the nature of socializing.

The only time the fault is 100% on the AS is if you use it as an excuse to never get out and try to socialize. And sometimes that's not the wrong call. After a long look in the mirror, it may be the case that it is not worth the time and effort that could be used on other things.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 2:27 am

Chronos wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
GoatOnFire wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Chronos wrote:

To be honest I'm skeptical many of those who come here and bring negative views of women with them all have AS. They may have AS but they might not. There are a lot of things that can cause social issues. And then there are people out there who are just @$$holes and try to use AS as an excuse. Or their spouses try to use it as an excuse because they can't come to terms with the fact that they married someone who is just an @$$hole (but that's a subject for a different post)

We are the odd ones out. We are the ones who do not play by the social rules of society. We are the problem with our social lives. It's a hard pill to swallow but it's the first step in learning to overcome one's difficulties.

Good post Chronos. I used to be kind of a bitter ass because I was very frustrated. The dating scene & most everything else in life does not work the way I feel it should & I misdirected my frustration onto different groups because I thought they were unaccepting judgmental pricks for rejecting me because I knew I was a great guy who had a lot to offer if given a chance. I knew I was different than others all my life but I didn't really understand why so I thought others were being hateful of me because I was different. In reality I was the one being hateful of others because I was so quick to blame & judge them. I think hateful is a matter of perspective & when we assume others are being hateful; we can be guilty of the very thing we accuse them of

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 2:41 am

Chronos wrote:

mmm...I agree with that as most forms of discrimination are based on past personal experiences. Society as a whole has greater need of equality and diversity, as the end of the day no matter on group in society we all belong to we're still human beings.

Theres needs to more IMO man liking and woman liking posts around her. As one member of a social grouping in society don't make all the members of that same group alike now.

For exmple, I had a very bad relationship a few years with a former gf who I was planning on getting engaged to. Dones that one woman's negtive behaiour and actions equite to all women being just my former gf? NO!! One bad apple done not spoil the proverbial barrel!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 9:47 am

MCalavera wrote:
To those wondering about the men's site, it's back to working now. There was a small issue with the hosting space, that's all.

thanks, it's working fine here.

As for nick's claims for receiving hate pms, I didn't receive any pm for demanding a men's forum but I understand from where he's coming from.

I recall that there was a one particular female user who kept dwelling over and over again that the 'real' reason why we are demanding a men's forum is misogynist intentions. She even kept projecting false intentions on me, such as me attempting to degrade women's forum and other stupid things.

It wasn't the case, at least for most men demanding for one, I was one of those who made the call and I made it clear that it's not a misogynist agenda: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt157914.html

The original Men's forum had a rule of anti-sexism, the new forum doesn't have any set of rules but it has emerged from the same administrative team. So far, there's no significant sexism in the men's forum, in fact the L&D is way worse in that regards, you can ask Moog and the female users there. It turned out that the Men's forum is more culturally anti-sexism and anti-Misogyny than the L&D.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
To those wondering about the men's site, it's back to working now. There was a small issue with the hosting space, that's all.

As for nick's claims for receiving hate pms, I didn't receive any pm for demanding a men's forum but I understand from where he's coming from.

I recall that there was a one particular female user who kept dwelling over and over again that the 'real' reason why we are demanding a men's forum is misogynist intentions. She even kept projecting false intentions on me, such as me attempting to degrade women's forum and other stupid things.

It wasn't the case, at least for most men demanding for one, I was one of those who made the call and I made it clear that it's not a misogynist agenda: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt157914.html

The original Men's forum had a rule of anti-sexism, the new forum doesn't have any set of rules but it has emerged from the same administrative team. So far, there's no significant sexism in the men's forum, in fact the L&D is way worse in that regards, you can ask Moog and the female users there. It turned out that the Men's forum is more culturally anti-sexism and anti-Misogyny than the L&D.

i checked it out a couple of weeks ago and didn't really love the way some members were treated on there. also, the way some women from another forum were discussed was extremely disrespectful and distasteful. perhaps some people find that kind of posting acceptable, but i wasn't particularly impressed. it is a new forum and is probably experiencing growing pains, but i didn't really enjoy what i read so far. it came across as quite hostile. really, i don't think i am in the demographic that would fit into that site.

one other thing to keep in mind is that people seem to keep themselves under slightly better control on a smaller forum as it is less anonymous than a big place like WP.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 10:57 am

hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

i checked it out a couple of weeks ago and didn't really love the way some members were treated on there. also, the way some women from another forum were discussed was extremely disrespectful and distasteful. perhaps some people find that kind of posting acceptable, but i wasn't particularly impressed. it is a new forum and is probably experiencing growing pains, but i didn't really enjoy what i read so far. it came across as quite hostile. really, i don't think i am in the demographic that would fit into that site.

one other thing to keep in mind is that people seem to keep themselves under slightly better control on a smaller forum as it is less anonymous than a big place like WP.

Seriously, what are you talking about? where's the hostility in the whole forum? point them to me.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 11:02 am

Why can't we all get along? Why can't we all just be friends?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 11:10 am

Chronos wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I have gotten more than a few PMs calling me one when I made that post in the WrongPlanet.net discussion section about wanting a Men's section

I don't know about misogynist but here are some things you have said, from the other post, which may have caused others to call you such a thing...

You said wrote:
I hear the woman's section has lots of negative stuff about men in it(I never went in it so I'm not sure) & I think it's bullspit that the women have a place to rant about men but us guys have no place to rant about women. I'll openly admit that I've said some pretty offensive stuff about women on the L&D, Haven & Adult section before

They actually rarely talk about men in the women's section and I can't help but to think that the few posts which do speak of men in a negative light were spawned by hostilities towards the women in other parts of the site. Most of the posts in the women's section have nothing to do with men and you are free to investigate this. It's not a place to rant about men and the vast majority of the time, it's not being used as such.

You also admit to saying "pretty offensive stuff about women" in various forums here. I'll have to take your word for it. Perhaps these self admitted offensive remarks have been the reason you have been called a misogynist.

As I've previously said multiple times. I'm not opposed to a men's section. If men feel there is a need for one then there is a need for one. But I am opposed to a forum which exists as a bashing ground for the opposite sex.

Have you had that experience here?

Yep this is exactly what I've been through. I almost left for good due to the constant threads putting females down and the constant attacks. The "You wouldn't understand because you girls have it easy" bs. This boiled my blood to the point where I wanted to leave for good. Now it isn't as bad but I still see a good deal of this bs. Be great if people quit comparing genders especially on a site where most of us have it difficult irl.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 11:19 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

Seriously, what are you talking about? where's the hostility in the whole forum? point them to me.

i don't think i said the whole forum. i am not going to link to it from here, because this thread isn't really about that forum and i don't plan to return there anyway. i just made my own decision that i didn't like what i saw, for the reasons above, and i felt it was necessary to share my perspective (as you have done).

perhaps people may want to go check it out for themselves and make their own decisions. maybe they will love it and find a home there, or maybe they will think it is not too cool. it's a matter of personal perspective - you gave yours and i gave mine, and other people can draw their own conclusions.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 11:27 am

hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

i don't think i said the whole forum. i am not going to link to it from here, because this thread isn't really about that forum and i don't plan to return there anyway. i just made my own decision that i didn't like what i saw, for the reasons above, and i felt it was necessary to share my perspective (as you have done).

perhaps people may want to go check it out for themselves and make their own decisions. maybe they will love it and find a home there, or maybe they will think it is not too cool. it's a matter of personal perspective - you gave yours and i gave mine, and other people can draw their own conclusions.

oh c'mon, don't tell me you are referring to the hottest WP girls thread? that was just a silly thread, and there were zillions of similar threads on WP.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 12:59 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

oh c'mon, don't tell me you are referring to the hottest WP girls thread? that was just a silly thread, and there were zillions of similar threads on WP.

There was a troll problem there briefly that has been taken care of. I would also like to point out that it is a forum for men so it makes sense that some women may not like it. I accidentally clicked in the Women's section here a couple times & I was offended by a couple things but I let it go because that is a forum for women so it is not my place to be there & judge

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 1:16 pm

nick007 wrote:
I would also like to point out that it is a forum for men so it makes sense that some women may not like it. I accidentally clicked in the Women's section here a couple times & I was offended by a couple things but I let it go because that is a forum for women so it is not my place to be there & judge

sure, that makes sense. but people on here are "selling" the site as woman-friendly. and i would say it is not the case in every woman's opinion. some women might feel welcome there, but they may have different standards or ideas of what is acceptable.

you said before that you have never gone into the women's forum, though.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 1:33 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I would also like to point out that it is a forum for men so it makes sense that some women may not like it. I accidentally clicked in the Women's section here a couple times & I was offended by a couple things but I let it go because that is a forum for women so it is not my place to be there & judge

sure, that makes sense. but people on here are "selling" the site as woman-friendly. and i would say it is not the case in every woman's opinion. some women might feel welcome there, but they may have different standards or ideas of what is acceptable.

you said before that you have never gone into the women's forum, though.

I'm NOT going to claim that site is women friendly but there are some women there & I have not seen them get attacked for responding on male post.

I accidentally clicked on the Women's section when I meant to go to Adult a couple times after I said I never been there; this was a couple times in the last month or so. I figured out I was in wrong section after I read a couple of topics