Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 9:53 pm

Just wondering if there's such a thing as degrees or levels to aspergers from least obstructive to activities of daily living to completely unable to function without assistance from others.

Thanks.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:00 pm

Not "officially". I mean: a diagnosis of Aspergers is a diagnosis of Aspergers (rather than "mild Aspergers", etc). That being said, everyone experiences their symptoms to different degrees, and generally mild, moderate, and severe levels of Aspergers can be seen.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:38 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
Just wondering if there's such a thing as degrees or levels to aspergers from least obstructive to activities of daily living to completely unable to function without assistance from others.

Thanks.

The latter individual would be excluded from a diagnosis of AS by section 5 of the diagnostic criteria for AS.

Section V wrote:
(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Jun 2011, 11:04 pm

Despite that criteria, per Tony Attwood it seems that many people diagnosed with AS did have delays in the development of age-appropriate self help skills and adaptive behavior. I certainly did.

But then I also seem to fit the criteria for autism, and the criteria also says a diagnosis of autism should supercede AS, and that doesn't happen a lot either.

Eternity29
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jun 2011, 11:14 pm

When I was diagnosed, my doctor said that there were degrees or levels of it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 11:47 pm

I can detect the varying degrees of AS just by reading the posts here.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Jun 2011, 11:57 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Oh? What do you do?

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 12:27 am

hey, i scored like 47on asq and 184 on aspie test but i can pretend to be very normal.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 12:32 am

Autism is a spectrum, so there are certainly degrees to which different people are affected.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 12:55 am

Our top 2 sportsmen have AS genes but noone noos but me

They are at the top tier of higher functioning

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 2:30 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Really, that's intriguing! could you give me an assessment...

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 3:14 am

of course there are 'degrees', but it's not a simple fact of just measuring them, just a way of expressing how badly you , generally, are affected in your everyday life.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 3:34 am

It would really require a multi-dimensional approach. Functioning level, robustness (as previously discussed), severity of sensory issues, attention focusing ability, memory quality, communication skills (basic and advanced), and probably many others.

CockneyRebel wrote:

Could you tell me where I stand beneath the sun? :P

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 3:55 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Yes, from reading about other people's experiences, it's possible to see that there are varying degrees of Aspergers. Some people function very well, hold down good jobs, have successful family lives, some have an air of confidence and having it all (which may or not be how they feel inside) and others need a lot of support for daily living.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 5:51 am

And as Callista once said a while back, a very high functioning autie may be very unhappy and suicidal, while someone who is need of constant support may be extremely happy.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 6:16 am

Verdandi wrote:
Despite that criteria, per Tony Attwood it seems that many people diagnosed with AS did have delays in the development of age-appropriate self help skills and adaptive behavior. I certainly did.

But then I also seem to fit the criteria for autism, and the criteria also says a diagnosis of autism should supercede AS, and that doesn't happen a lot either.

I've noticed this as well. It seems that Asperger's is the 'default' in some mental health circles for high functioning. Strictly interpreting the DSM-IV, I am more HFA than Asperger's. But my DX is Asperger's. This is one reason I don't get caught up in specific labels.