Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 5:41 pm

I notice I am competitive about certain things and not at all about others.
With physical stuff I usually want to outperform every else-no matter what.
To finish second always felt like I lost.

When it comes to everyday life though, I am laid back. Actually, I would like to have
some of that competitive fire on the job, where I usually try to fit in well enough to be part
of the team. I think in part it is attempt not to alienate myself from my coworkers and create friction.

Do I have a problem of translating a competitive nature from games into the real world?
And isn't that a fundamental difference associated with ASDs? Is that at all a problem for you too?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 6:11 pm

I'm not competitive at all. I do physical things for fun.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm

My Aspie daughter is very competitive. When she was small she had a meltdown if she lost. To the point that I had to tell her if she was not capable of loosing then she could not play. She even asked me to let her win. I never did that. Instead I showed her how to play better so she could beat me fairly. Which she did, fast. It was hard for her, but now she can loose and stay calmed, even congratulate the winner -feeling it-. It hurts, and she might tell me and I will comfort her, but I am proud of her because she can handle her frustration. But she still wants to win. All the time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 10:24 pm

I can be competitive.

Nowadays, I compete mostly against co-workers who rely more on luck than on any methodical approach to design or trouble-shooting. Fortunately, this is easy for anyone with the training, experience, and inclination to find out what is really going on rather than rely on someone else to spot their mistakes.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

fangfarrier
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: In the Highland of Scotland, never far from a pie shop

19 Jun 2011, 3:31 am

Competative, absolutely!

In every aspect of my life. Work, sports, quizzes.

Me, after much thought on the matter.

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 9:09 am

Used to be, but being on a sports team helped me a great deal with fixing being... well obsessive about it. Was also connected to me being a really, really bad loser. Now, I use comptetitiveness as a vehicle of motivation. When I am involved in any competetive activity, I'll always focus on giving my best to at least have a chance of winning, but I don't give much about if I won in the end or not.

CuriousNotion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2011, 5:39 pm

With a lot sports and academics I tend to want to be good at them .Otherwise I dont enjoy the.m as much. so yes I am competitive

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 8:18 pm

My lack of competitive spirit has been a minor problem for me. I can feel a little bit competitive on occasion, but it is very rare, never a strong feeling, and impossible for me to call this up on demand. Being competitive requires the tendency to judge oneself in comparison to others, and I don't often operate this way. I am not interested in whether or not I did something better than someone else; I'm interested in whether or not I did something better than I would have in the past. I like my way just fine, but I must admit that it means I am not likely to get promotions easily and can make me a little boring to play Risk with (though I do enjoy Risk, all the same ;)).

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 7:09 pm

Other than as a boardgamer not in the slightest, you run on ahead I'll enjoy the walk :wink:

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!