What is love within the theory of darwinism?

Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 4:39 am

aghogday wrote:
However, children reaching puberty have the instinctual drive for competition that often displays itself beyond civilization, moral code, and the discipline of cognitive effort.
Forget puberty, have a look at toddlers in kindergarten, if left to their own devices the rule of only the fittest survive would most certainly apply. Without supervision there would be violent mayhem. It seems obvious to me that the needs of the whole community reflect on the needs of the individual and as a herd animal we stick together. This not only happens in humans, otherwise what evolutionary advantage is there in this.

WARNING MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM[/youtube]

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 6:07 am

jojobean wrote:
I usually dont wander in these parts since PPR is wrong planet's autistic tribal head hunters :wink:

Anyway,
I was doing my creative journal because I am working on publishing poetry so I have to keep the ideas fresh, but I stumbled upon a question that I cannot solve...a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

In a world of predator verses prey begining millions, maybe billions of years ago where teeth were attached to building sized lizards would wrap itself around anything with a heartbeat...and you know things are not much different today with corperations and politians devouring the marrow of other lives. basicly reduces human life to whale sharks and plankton. Either your one or the other. Just like life in the hands of dinosaurs...humanity is confusing, terrifying, and stupid.

with all that said...what is love? I am not talking about romantic love, but comuninal love. The love your neighbor kind of love. The kind of love where when you see a child that is not yours hurt, you try to find it help and its parrents. The kind of love that civil rights activists have for people they never met, but work tirelessly for. The kind of love that you have for a friend in need of support?
what is this?? It seems almost alien to the laws of nature...but stands out there like the one exeption to the darwin rule?

what is it really, and how did it come to be?

Any ideas??

Jojo
Well, this is what you get for confusing science with philosophy. We are not saying that Man was descended from a primitive ape because we like the idea or think that the world would be better if we were descended from a primitive ape. We are saying it because it appears to be a fact.

Philosophically, my ideas about how to live and how to behave toward my fellow sapient being are soppy and sentimental to the point that it would probably make you gag if I went on too long about them.

Oh, and I have never liked herd animals. They are too vicious and mean-spirited toward one another. I am much more fond of predators. They tend to have more affectionate natures. I think there is a sort of brotherhood among apex predators, really.