Im asking a question but people say im not?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 


Are they trying to be rude to me?
Yes 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
No 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
not sure 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 11

XsamX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 310

21 Jun 2011, 8:10 pm

When you put a question mark and ask something its a question isnt it?
because as you can see here people think im not asking a question: http://www.experienceproject.com/questi ... ers/463042 im comfused help..



pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Apr 2008
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 959
Location: Buda, TX

21 Jun 2011, 8:21 pm

It's possible they're just very literal-minded, but their comments seem disingenuous and slightly harassing to me.



Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 435

21 Jun 2011, 8:32 pm

In your question, there isn't actually a question mark, but regardless, I think I see the question you're asking.

To me, you're asking if anyone would want to read and give comments on what you've written. I'm not much of a judge though, so I can't tell if they're being rude or not. I've had a lot of experience with people online, and no matter how clear you think you're being, a lot of people seem to be honestly confused at your point.


_________________
Permanently inane.


XsamX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 310

21 Jun 2011, 8:55 pm

Fo-Rum wrote:
In your question, there isn't actually a question mark, but regardless, I think I see the question you're asking.

To me, you're asking if anyone would want to read and give comments on what you've written. I'm not much of a judge though, so I can't tell if they're being rude or not. I've had a lot of experience with people online, and no matter how clear you think you're being, a lot of people seem to be honestly confused at your point.
thats what i dont understand how to be more clear to them i find i was really clear



Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,698

21 Jun 2011, 9:40 pm

XsamX wrote:
When you put a question mark and ask something its a question isnt it?
because as you can see here people think im not asking a question: http://www.experienceproject.com/questi ... ers/463042 im comfused help..


It was an question, though a poorly stated implicit one, and they were being rude, and the question now is, why?

The answer is, or what I think the answer is, or what the answer is not, is that they have anything against you. To better phrase that, they don't have anything against you, rather they felt no comradery towards you, and it's rather frequent that being polite for the sake of being polite on internet forums is lacking.

I believe this is so because unlike with real life, where dominance in most relationships and interaction is well defined, this is not the case in online social interactions, so people will often attempt to establish their dominance and test the boundaries of others by pushing and seeing how hard they are shoved back, to state it in a somewhat metaphorical sense.



draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,304
Location: SE Pennsylvania

21 Jun 2011, 9:59 pm

They are being overly precise with their language. You asked for answers yet, you phrased your words as a request for opinions. If you wanted an answer you would need to ask a proper question:

Would you guys like to help me along as I write my book?
Would you be willing to proof read my story for me?
What topics would you be interested in reading?
Here is the premise of my story... would you be interested in reading more?

Giving someone an answer is a much shorter process (usually) than rendering an opinion. On a board I can see where some folks may get a touch annoyed... not everyone wants to leave a long opinion on a board. Asking for an answer and then looking for an opinion may have wasted a valuable two minutes of their time (being sarcastic there... )



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,738
Location: Pacific Northwest

22 Jun 2011, 12:07 am

You didn't have a question mark and you were asking for opinions. You were wanting a yes or no answer right?

I don't know if those people were being rude or not.



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,738
Location: Pacific Northwest

22 Jun 2011, 12:09 am

Fo-Rum wrote:
In your question, there isn't actually a question mark, but regardless, I think I see the question you're asking.

To me, you're asking if anyone would want to read and give comments on what you've written. I'm not much of a judge though, so I can't tell if they're being rude or not. I've had a lot of experience with people online, and no matter how clear you think you're being, a lot of people seem to be honestly confused at your point.



I just think they either wanted to read what they wanted to read or think what they wanted to think or they were just that stupid if they didn't read it right. I sometimes think they just did it on purpose for the sake of an argument.



another_1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 528
Location: Columbia, SC

22 Jun 2011, 7:18 am

Yes, they are being rude, although not horribly so. One comment - which is somewhat more polite than the others - tells you why:

Quote:
I would take a couple of English grammar classes first. If you write like you pose questions you will never get it published. Just a recommendation.


You used awkward phrasing, no punctuation, and misspelled the word "writing" - in a post declaring your intention of publishing a book. You said you "wanted answers," which indicates that you are going to ask a question, then made a statement which implied a question. Such imprecise use of language is not what is expected from a published author, and they are pointing this out by pretending to miss the question that you almost-but-not-quite asked.

I apologize if this is more blunt that you wanted, but no offense is intended. Please take it as constructive criticism, not an attack. I, personally, give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are more careful in more formal writing.



XsamX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 310

22 Jun 2011, 3:45 pm

League_Girl wrote:
You didn't have a question mark and you were asking for opinions. You were wanting a yes or no answer right?

I don't know if those people were being rude or not.
Yes i was wondering if people could read my book.
So i thoughtd that be asking something?



XsamX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 310

22 Jun 2011, 3:48 pm

another_1 wrote:
Yes, they are being rude, although not horribly so. One comment - which is somewhat more polite than the others - tells you why:

Quote:
I would take a couple of English grammar classes first. If you write like you pose questions you will never get it published. Just a recommendation.


You used awkward phrasing, no punctuation, and misspelled the word "writing" - in a post declaring your intention of publishing a book. You said you "wanted answers," which indicates that you are going to ask a question, then made a statement which implied a question. Such imprecise use of language is not what is expected from a published author, and they are pointing this out by pretending to miss the question that you almost-but-not-quite asked.

I apologize if this is more blunt that you wanted, but no offense is intended. Please take it as constructive criticism, not an attack. I, personally, give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are more careful in more formal writing.


i cant really fix my words any other way and the most i can do is spelling is keep learning or trying to keep learning but im very close to being done school and i think im at the end of were my spelling can go. I have gotten better its just know ones new me threw out that time. But to wright my books there nothing wrong with my spelling i use this dragon naturly speeking program that helps me spell good./



XsamX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 310

22 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Fo-Rum wrote:
In your question, there isn't actually a question mark, but regardless, I think I see the question you're asking.

To me, you're asking if anyone would want to read and give comments on what you've written. I'm not much of a judge though, so I can't tell if they're being rude or not. I've had a lot of experience with people online, and no matter how clear you think you're being, a lot of people seem to be honestly confused at your point.



I just think they either wanted to read what they wanted to read or think what they wanted to think or they were just that stupid if they didn't read it right. I sometimes think they just did it on purpose for the sake of an argument.


Thanks for the help....im still lost of whats a question and whats not but i slighly got it i think.
And doing something for an argument i try and egnore my best. but honestly it gets to you even if you dont say anything,.
exspersoley when this person does not understand your words.