Page 5 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 8:10 pm

Complete and total pain wuss here. Completely hyper aware of contact sensations.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 10:55 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
While there are many posts about hyper sensitivities, Hypo sensitivities are listed as a trait in most every respectable definition of Autism I have seen.

Strange as it may sound, a person can be/have both. Insensitive to what an NT person would consider pain from say, an injury, yet stimulus that a NT person wouldn't find even necessarily noticeable is considered painful.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 11:03 pm

No. My pain sensitivity is average or higher than average. I also seem to experience more discomfort than NTs in general (everything from being sweaty/wet, too hot, too cold, muscle aches, general malaise, etc... ). My body sucks.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 11:37 pm

When I was 11 someone gashed my left forearm with a broken glass and I didn't even know till someone told me I was bleeding. Minutes later, as the doctor was sewing up my wound, I barely felt pain as I watched him do his job. I think he was surprised I didn't wince looking at it; anyway, my then, I'd already seen my blood a couple of times so that was just par for the course.

The worst pains I've experienced, though, are when I was circumcised at 31 (the local anaesthetic hurt like the dickens) and earlier this year when I got my teeth cleaned by dental students. Their sharp tool probing beneath my gums made me grab the back of my chair like I was going to break it.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 1:05 am

Wow, a lot of lucky people in this thread. My pain tolerance is very low. When I was in elementary school, other students realized that they could hurt me by poking me, which they found hilarious. So everybody started poking me every chance they got, and the teachers never did anything because they thought I was being dramatic. I seriously envy you people with high pain thresholds.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2015, 1:14 am

Edenthiel wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
While there are many posts about hyper sensitivities, Hypo sensitivities are listed as a trait in most every respectable definition of Autism I have seen.

Strange as it may sound, a person can be/have both. Insensitive to what an NT person would consider pain from say, an injury, yet stimulus that a NT person wouldn't find even necessarily noticeable is considered painful.

indeed.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 11:50 am

I'll be honest I do have a certain degree pain numbness as such but, not saying that I can literally block out pain? No, absolutely not however there are times I do consciously redirect my mind away when something physical is causing me torment but, this technique works for only so long and so often.

Justeve
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 3:50 pm

I guess I have a higher pain threshold but not in my hands, which is strange.

When I was younger I feel of a train and cut my leg open, I continued going to school and didn't realise how bad it was until the office staff called an ambulance.

I also gave birth twice without pain relief (which I understand is done frequently) but I did not even murmur a sound and the first birth was breech.

I have hurt my hands and yes I feel the pain, even if it's a paper cut. I've had my thumb squashed by a guillotine clamp...and that hurt a lot.

donaar
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2015, 5:19 pm

i react at first (quite dramatically) but then it doesnt really hurt think its more the initial moment scares me then im fine after

Aq: 37

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 5:27 pm

I don't know if I have a high pain threshold to be honest.

Maybe I do...I burnt my tattoos out with hot knives one time and that was an open wound for months and I never complained about it I made a complete mess of my arms, the pain was horrific come to think of it.

I don't think I do have a high pain threshold actually. I just think that I don't know how to tell people when I'm in so much pain.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 7:35 am

I have a very low pain threshold. Sex and smear tests have become a problem because anything inserted in there causes such sickening pain for me, even if I relax.

Period cramps caused me to almost vomit, which is why I had to go on the pill.

Giving birth panics me, as I think I'll die in agony.

I don't know how kids can pick their scabs. When I was a kid I couldn't even touch any cuts on me. It would hurt for weeks, so I left scabs alone.

Vomiting terrifies me, as it physically hurts for me to vomit.

I'd rather be too hot than too cold, as feeling cold is quite painful for me, but feeling hot is only uncomfortable.

Being raped or stabbed scares me, as I know it will hurt me 10 times more than others, and for anyone it's horribly painful.

Loud sounds physically hurts my right ear. I hate when my boyfriend gets a cough because he has such a loud cough and I physically can feel my eardrum might burst.

So nope, I don't take pain very well.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 11:04 am

It depends on the type of pain. I've broken bones, and barely flinched. But menstrual pain used to send me into shock.