Page 4 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

zippy-tri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2011, 5:28 pm

Could having a high pain threshhold be a result of decreased perception of pain due to opioids - Casomorphins derived from the digestion of milk protein casein - binding to binding to opioid receptors in the gastrointestinal tract producing an analgesic effect?
Just a thought....

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Jun 2011, 5:32 pm

zippy-tri wrote:
Could having a high pain threshhold be a result of decreased perception of pain due to opioids - Casomorphins derived from the digestion of milk protein casein - binding to binding to opioid receptors in the gastrointestinal tract producing an analgesic effect?
Just a thought....

I don't ingest a lot of dairy products and I still can tolerate a lot of pain.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 5:43 pm

pschristmas wrote:
I've always had a high pain threshold, but it runs in my family. Like League-girl, I didn't notice my labor contractions. The nurses had me hooked up to a machine that measured them, and would ask me if I was in any pain because they seemed to be bad ones, but I'd honestly not felt them. I once took a medical test that was supposed to predict whether or not I was susceptible to carpal tunnel syndrome -- it measured conductivity in the hands. The nurse who administered the test had to turn the device up to 10 to even get a response from my nerves when people's hands usually jerked at around 5 or 6, so it may be a neurologically based condition. She told me to be very careful, because a high pain threshold can be dangerous if I ignore things. I'm also not sensitive to light touch -- can't really feel it.

I thought I was just constipated. Then I got told those were braxton hicks I was feeling and the baby was going lower in my pelvis so I will feel pressure down there feeling like I have to go poo. So I ignored the pains and did my usual stuff, even going to work and doing computer and watching TV. I didn't even eat my whole dinner that day because I thought I was constipated and I never feel like eating when constipated. Then when they were seven minutes apart I thought I wasn't in labor because I could still talk when feeling it and I read in real labor you would have a hard time talking during it. Then when my husband told me I was in labor, I realized maybe the information I read online wasn't accurate and maybe I was just different so that didn't apply to me so I took it literal. He even acted surprised I went to work in labor but the thing is I didn't even know I was in labor.

So I did feel mine but was unaware of what was going on because I was going by what the nurse told me and I went on Babycenter and asked there if it feels that way to them when the baby drops and they said it does.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm

My foot was aching today... Turns out I tore something in my foot. Is there some logical reason why I'm sensitive to most things except pain? :o

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 12:51 am

This is one of the big reasons I wanna get tested for AS. I don't remember this but when I was a toddler my Mum said she took my sister, who is one year older than me, to the doctor because she was really sick. She wouldn't let the doctor look in her mouth so he said, "Look, your brother will let me look in his mouth. He's a good boy," and when he checked my mouth just to reassure my sister he was horrified because my throat looked so bad and it turned out I was sicker than my sister but I never made a peep.
I do remember, around the same age, having a toothache while being babysat at some woman's house with the same sister. I can still remember the intense pain, I will never forget it but all it got out of me were a few tears and a screwed up facial expression. My sister went and got the babysitter and told her. I didn't like that. When she came in to check on me I sat nearer the window with a blank face and tried to ignore her.

FearofMusic
"When I was in Kindergarten I tripped and hit my head on a coffee table. I ended up having to get 20 stitches over my eye but I never cried or anything, I really don't even remember it hurting... just bleeding.
When I was 3 my dad accidentally closed my finger in the door--he tried to close it several times and didn't realize I had my finger in the hing. I don't remember this at all but apparently I didn't cry at all when it happened. My right middle finger is still slightly longer than the left one!"

You freaked me out with these two FearofMusic. My older brother closed the boot (or trunk for the Americans) of the car on my hand once and I didn't even know until I tried to walk away and got stuck. I started screaming but only out of shock not pain coz I don't even remember feeling much other than pressure.
As for the coffee table I remember in pre school when I was about 4 I hit the back of my head on a table I was sitting in front of. I was at the back of the class on a rainy day and the teacher had a guitar and had us all singing "Rain rain go away come again another day" (but this perplexed me because I like rain so I didn't really want to wish it away and thought everyone in the room was stupid). I didn't bleed even though every minute or two I rubbed my head and checked my fingers for blood because it hurt so much. Like the toothache I had when I was quite young I still remember the intense pain but I think my face remained void of emotion.

What else? I was jumping around from lunch tables to a small brick garden wall in primary (elementary) school one day when I landed short and smashed my shin on the corner of the bricks. A dark streak of blood ran down to my sock but I simply presented myself calmly to the ladies in the medical bay who bandaged it up. My Mum saw the bandage but didn't think much of it because I didn't seem to bothered so it just got changed a few times as it healed. To this day I can find the spot where there is a dent in my shin bone!
This one is a bit more disturbing. From 1998 to 2006 I had around six or seven migraines that I never told anyone about because I thought they could mean I had a brain tumour or something and I didn't want to confront the issue. They would start with a blind spot on my vision which, over fifteen to thirty minutes, would grow to cover most of my vision with flashing and sort of hallucenogenic movement. As that symptom faded away and my vision returned the actual migraine would begin and last another half hour. The pain was so bad I felt like I was going to throw up every time but never did. I've always had that unwillingness to speak up and show my pain so these attacks would see me suffering in silence through some difficult situations sometimes. The first one in 1998 ruined watching my first game of 1st grade Rugby League in Sydney between the St George Dragons and North Sydney Bears with my Dad anfd younger brother. Another time I had one while on the field while playing junior football myself! Another time was at school halfway through the day. I just kept up a charade even trying to play handball without being able to see properly! It makes me sad now but not for myself. It feels like it was another person, like a young boy that I feel sorry for looking from the outside. Anyone else relate to their past in that way?

TeacherMom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2011, 6:29 am

My son has a high pain threshold so when he gets hurt I have to be extra careful that he is okay.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 6:36 am

I have a hyper low threshold to pain. I can't stand it! Even something as light as stubbing my toe is extremely painful :(

justjelliot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2011, 9:40 am

Dan_Undiagnosed wrote:
This is one of the big reasons I wanna get tested for AS. I don't remember this but when I was a toddler my Mum said she took my sister, who is one year older than me, to the doctor because she was really sick. She wouldn't let the doctor look in her mouth so he said, "Look, your brother will let me look in his mouth. He's a good boy," and when he checked my mouth just to reassure my sister he was horrified because my throat looked so bad and it turned out I was sicker than my sister but I never made a peep.
I do remember, around the same age, having a toothache while being babysat at some woman's house with the same sister. I can still remember the intense pain, I will never forget it but all it got out of me were a few tears and a screwed up facial expression. My sister went and got the babysitter and told her. I didn't like that. When she came in to check on me I sat nearer the window with a blank face and tried to ignore her.

FearofMusic
"When I was in Kindergarten I tripped and hit my head on a coffee table. I ended up having to get 20 stitches over my eye but I never cried or anything, I really don't even remember it hurting... just bleeding.
When I was 3 my dad accidentally closed my finger in the door--he tried to close it several times and didn't realize I had my finger in the hing. I don't remember this at all but apparently I didn't cry at all when it happened. My right middle finger is still slightly longer than the left one!"

You freaked me out with these two FearofMusic. My older brother closed the boot (or trunk for the Americans) of the car on my hand once and I didn't even know until I tried to walk away and got stuck. I started screaming but only out of shock not pain coz I don't even remember feeling much other than pressure.
As for the coffee table I remember in pre school when I was about 4 I hit the back of my head on a table I was sitting in front of. I was at the back of the class on a rainy day and the teacher had a guitar and had us all singing "Rain rain go away come again another day" (but this perplexed me because I like rain so I didn't really want to wish it away and thought everyone in the room was stupid). I didn't bleed even though every minute or two I rubbed my head and checked my fingers for blood because it hurt so much. Like the toothache I had when I was quite young I still remember the intense pain but I think my face remained void of emotion.

What else? I was jumping around from lunch tables to a small brick garden wall in primary (elementary) school one day when I landed short and smashed my shin on the corner of the bricks. A dark streak of blood ran down to my sock but I simply presented myself calmly to the ladies in the medical bay who bandaged it up. My Mum saw the bandage but didn't think much of it because I didn't seem to bothered so it just got changed a few times as it healed. To this day I can find the spot where there is a dent in my shin bone!
This one is a bit more disturbing. From 1998 to 2006 I had around six or seven migraines that I never told anyone about because I thought they could mean I had a brain tumour or something and I didn't want to confront the issue. They would start with a blind spot on my vision which, over fifteen to thirty minutes, would grow to cover most of my vision with flashing and sort of hallucenogenic movement. As that symptom faded away and my vision returned the actual migraine would begin and last another half hour. The pain was so bad I felt like I was going to throw up every time but never did. I've always had that unwillingness to speak up and show my pain so these attacks would see me suffering in silence through some difficult situations sometimes. The first one in 1998 ruined watching my first game of 1st grade Rugby League in Sydney between the St George Dragons and North Sydney Bears with my Dad anfd younger brother. Another time I had one while on the field while playing junior football myself! Another time was at school halfway through the day. I just kept up a charade even trying to play handball without being able to see properly! It makes me sad now but not for myself. It feels like it was another person, like a young boy that I feel sorry for looking from the outside. Anyone else relate to their past in that way?

Oddly enough, I often look back at times the pain didn't seem much, and it's like telling myself 'That's right, you keep playing on that ruptured tendon you little wimp! It doesn't even hurt, you little b***h!' I'm not even kidding, this is often how I view myself.

http://aspiespy.blogspot.com/

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2011, 9:46 am

I probably have a high pain tolerance. I have been told that when I was younger, even when I was a baby, and I had to get shots I hardly ever cried. When I was in 8th grade I also tripped on some gravel when I was running and seriously scratched up my knees to the point that blood was running half way down my shin on one leg. If the nurse hadn't been there by chance then I probably wouldn't have gone to her at all. She wanted to call someone to pick me up, but I told her that I was fine (which I was), so she patched me up and I finished the rest of my classes. When I had been home for several hours I finally showed my mother and she was very furious at the nurse for not calling her because apparently my knees were worse than I thought. Although I have no permanent nerve/muscle damage I still have a quarter sized scar on my right knee.

My friends also thought I was crazy because I went to school the day after I had my wisedom teeth removed, but I don't remember feeling any pain, so I didn't understand why they were making a big deal. Other than my chipmunk cheeks.

Last edited by Tamsin on 28 Jun 2011, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 9:54 am

I'm just average. I used to cry when I hurt myself right up until I was about 10 or 11 years old. Now I go, ''ouch!! !''

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jun 2011, 10:48 am

I have what most would call in incredibly high pain threshold for most types of pain, but not all. A tooth ache or headache will get me, but most anything else is tolerable as long as I know what's causing it. I have several body piercings, which I did myself (with proper procedure of course). Both nipples, both ears, and another one I won't mention in the all-ages forum. Yes, it hurt like a son-of-a-gun to jam a huge biopsy needle through the nipples, but it wasn't a problem for me. I can take control of pain like that, and not let it bother me or stop me from whatever is needed.

Some of my friends jokingly call me "Rambo", because I've stitched up a couple of big wounds on myself, and I don't have any problem with needles, etc. I have even had minor abdominal surgery for which I refused general anesthetic, and the doctor almost refused to do it. I made a deal that they could put the IV in place, and have the anesthetic ready, but would not use it unless I changed my mind midway. I did not change my mind, and all was fine. I suppose I'm lucky that I don't have a problem with needles, as I have a hormone problem which requires injections several times a week.

So I guess this qualifies as high pain threshold :?

Charles

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 10:13 pm

Tamsin wrote:
I probably have a high pain tolerance. I have been told that when I was younger, even when I was a baby, and I had to get shots I hardly ever cried. When I was in 8th grade I also tripped on some gravel when I was running and seriously scratched up my knees to the point that blood was running half way down my shin on one leg. If the nurse hadn't been there by chance then I probably wouldn't have gone to her at all. She wanted to call someone to pick me up, but I told her that I was fine (which I was), so she patched me up and I finished the rest of my classes. When I had been home for several hours I finally showed my mother and she was very furious at the nurse for not calling her because apparently my knees were worse than I thought. Although I have no permanent nerve/muscle damage I still have a quarter sized scar on my right knee.

My friends also thought I was crazy because I went to school the day after I had my wisedom teeth removed, but I don't remember feeling any pain, so I didn't understand why they were making a big deal. Other than my chipmunk cheeks.

My parents, doc, and some of my teachers thought I was crazy for going to school the day after I broke the bone behind my left eye in a bike accident. So whatif it was so swollen it looked like a golf ball was under there, and I could only see out my right eye...

justjelliot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2011, 11:16 pm

kc8ufv wrote:
Tamsin wrote:

My parents, doc, and some of my teachers thought I was crazy for going to school the day after I broke the bone behind my left eye in a bike accident. So whatif it was so swollen it looked like a golf ball was under there, and I could only see out my right eye...

Exactly. You still had a perfectly good left eye.

http://aspiespy.blogspot.com/

sweetpea0899
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2014, 11:02 am

I have been told I have a high pain tolerance.

- I did not realize I was in active labor except that I felt a pressure. The nurse came in and it was time to push. Do not get me wrong. It did hurt. Definitely nothing unbearable though. Nothing like the horror stories I have heard about from others.

- I had a septoplasty and turbinate reducation surgery done a couple of months ago. According to the doctor I had one of the biggest bone spurs he has seen and must not have realized that I had broken my nose in the past. While researching I prepared myself for the "painful" surgery ahead. Well, I did not take the pain medication after the surgery. I did not feel I needed to. Even the removal of the splints did not hurt.

- 2 oral surgeries and I was eating things I was not supposed to and did not bother to fill my prescription.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 8:29 pm

While there are many posts about hyper sensitivities, Hypo sensitivities are listed as a trait in most every respectable definition of Autism I have seen.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2015, 6:40 pm

always had high pain tolerance. i had the muscle in my arm cut open with no anesthetic and barely flinched.