Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 2:21 am

Okay, I've read that other post. I don't see it as that applicable to the post we're debating here. There, it seemed just a sort of "what would I write if I wanted to win over sympathetic, general libertarians to the conservative side". In the other post, it was "could I fool an educated audience into thinking I was a leftwing, Keynsian economist better than leftwing Keynesians could fool people into thinkin they were Free Market economists". Those seem two completely different topics.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 6:21 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
Okay, I've read that other post. I don't see it as that applicable to the post we're debating here. There, it seemed just a sort of "what would I write if I wanted to win over sympathetic, general libertarians to the conservative side". In the other post, it was "could I fool an educated audience into thinking I was a leftwing, Keynsian economist better than leftwing Keynesians could fool people into thinkin they were Free Market economists". Those seem two completely different topics.

In a third post he describes it as an attempt to pass the ideological turing test. http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/201 ... at_th.html

This means that he viewed the two as the same topic.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 8:17 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
We've had ideas like this before on WP.

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/201 ... gical.html

The idea put forward here is simple: can you simulate an ideology that isn't your ideology? How well can you do it?

I can do it well enough to convince somebody who has the opposing ideology, but not well enough to fool somebody who has the same ideology. The former is really just playing Devil's Advocate. Sometimes people will say "you don't really believe that, do you?"

I have done this for fun a few times (it's real life trolling!) by pretending to believe in Intelligent Design in a conversation with athiests. I could convince them I believed it (using tropes such as "complex eye" and "micro vs. macro evolution"). I don't think I could hold my own with the people who actually are far into it enough to write Intelligent Design websites.

It would be interesting to see if I could hold my own with Intelligent Design in a different direction- trying to convince a Young Earther that I believed in God did it but using the accepted geologic time scales. I don't know if I could. I've never tried. All the really religious people I know personally are Intelligent Design proponents, not Young Earthers.

I've spent enough time (in real life, not here) debating with Intelliegnt Design proponents that I may even be able at this point to convince another Intelligent Design proponent by being able to say all their arguments with perfect accuracy. If an Intelligent Design proponent heard me debating the pro-Intelligent Design side with a Young Earther or with an actual paleobiologist, would he be able to tell or would I be doing it wrong?

I was never on a debating team in college but I did take a debating class. That is training to more or less be able to pass the ideological Turing test. In a debate class, you are assigned your stance by the teacher and must defend it regardless of your personal beliefs. If you go the route of debate team, you get a whole lot of practice in that.

Oddly enough the linked article doesn't bring up debate teams and how they train people to pass the Ideological Turing test by making them practice doing just that. Bit of an oversight, I think.