So, I was talking to my best friend on the phone...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 12:48 pm

The other day... He's been my best friend for two years and doesn't know about my AS.

Anyway, we were talking and his little brother (9 years old) was in the background, and the conversation went like this:
Him: "Uck, I hate my little brother, he's so annoying!"
Me: "Awe, poor you - he sounds sweet though!"
Him: "No, he's seriously ret*d."
Me: "Isn't that like low IQ or something?"
Him: "No, I mean SERIOUSLY ret*d. He's got Asperger's Syndrome."

Grrrr. I maybe jumped the gun a bit and lectured him, but still, grr. Sorry, just had to rant! O.O

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 12:56 pm

Good for you for giving him a piece of your mind. Did you tell him you have Asperger's?

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 12:59 pm

purchase wrote:
Good for you for giving him a piece of your mind. Did you tell him you have Asperger's?

I did. My response was "I have Asperger's - am I ret*d?" He seemed a bit rabbit caught in headlights. :P

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 1:47 pm

Wow. My brother knows I'm autistic but my mom says he forgets which is why he might sometimes say "ret*d"

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:26 pm

kittie wrote:
The other day... He's been my best friend for two years and doesn't know about my AS.

Anyway, we were talking and his little brother (9 years old) was in the background, and the conversation went like this:
Him: "Uck, I hate my little brother, he's so annoying!"
Me: "Awe, poor you - he sounds sweet though!"
Him: "No, he's seriously ret*d."
Me: "Isn't that like low IQ or something?"
Him: "No, I mean SERIOUSLY ret*d. He's got Asperger's Syndrome."

Grrrr. I maybe jumped the gun a bit and lectured him, but still, grr. Sorry, just had to rant! O.O

My response to that would be a full informative lecture on what mental retardation is and how a diagnosis of mental retardation excludes one from having AS. I would discuss the diagnostic criteria for AS in detail and then delve into the subject of AS and learning profiles gathered from information of have collected on various studies on AS such as studies pertaining to AS and WAIS scores.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:32 pm

Ooohh... :(

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 3:56 pm

Who's the ignorant ret*d now? :lol:

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 4:01 pm

I'm betting the little brother has a higher IQ than sensitivity challenged older brother...

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

24 Jun 2011, 12:44 am

draelynn wrote:
I'm betting the little brother has a higher IQ than sensitivity challenged older brother...

I would have loved to see this myself. My closest friend that I knew for about a year broke the news to me that her little sister has AS, and shhe was so depressed about it. She was worried about her sis. I asked her if she thought I was doing well, and I guess she was surprised because she said yes. I then told her about my Aspergers.

That might seem a little off topic, but I guess my point is that the scenario can be different.