Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

26 Jun 2011, 8:58 am

marshall wrote:
That's what I'd call Sisyphusian depression (the idea that life itself is tedious and unfulfilling), not simple boredom.

I didn't say LIFE was tedious. I said moments when nothing better exists, BUT boredom exists. These do happen! These moments happen to children during the summer, as they run out of steam on things they wanted to do. They happen to me way too often, as I often find myself bored, but with little idea of how to improve it.

I think a purely comparative model of boredom doesn't work.



marshall
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,000
Location: Turkey

26 Jun 2011, 1:12 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
marshall wrote:
That's what I'd call Sisyphusian depression (the idea that life itself is tedious and unfulfilling), not simple boredom.

I didn't say LIFE was tedious. I said moments when nothing better exists, BUT boredom exists. These do happen! These moments happen to children during the summer, as they run out of steam on things they wanted to do. They happen to me way too often, as I often find myself bored, but with little idea of how to improve it.

I think a purely comparative model of boredom doesn't work.

Alright. You have a point. I'll concede. I'm just working on being disagreeable for the sake of being disagreeable. :P



dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 921
Location: Germantown, MD

26 Jun 2011, 2:42 pm

Looks like AG failed just about every category. Good job, brother.


_________________
"All valuation rests on an irrational bias."
-George Santayana

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS


Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

26 Jun 2011, 2:54 pm

dionysian wrote:
Looks like AG failed just about every category. Good job, brother.

The sad thing is that I can't tell if you are joking, or if you really are that deluded.



dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 921
Location: Germantown, MD

26 Jun 2011, 2:58 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
dionysian wrote:
Looks like AG failed just about every category. Good job, brother.

The sad thing is that I can't tell if you are joking, or if you really are that deluded.

Yes, that is quite sad. Quite sad, indeed.


_________________
"All valuation rests on an irrational bias."
-George Santayana

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS


Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

26 Jun 2011, 5:05 pm

dionysian wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
The sad thing is that I can't tell if you are joking, or if you really are that deluded.

Yes, that is quite sad. Quite sad, indeed.

I agree, as the comments are not funny, only stupid.



AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Feb 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,774
Location: Sean Penn, Cambodia

26 Jun 2011, 5:53 pm

Image
Rawr everything is lower than average except for neuroticism.



Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,926

27 Jun 2011, 10:06 pm

I demand someone come up with a meaningful theory explaining all the results RIGHT NOW!! !


_________________
http://www.voterocky.org/


marshall
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,000
Location: Turkey

27 Jun 2011, 10:27 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
I demand someone come up with a meaningful theory explaining all the results RIGHT NOW!! !

Do I get extra credit points?



Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

27 Jun 2011, 11:36 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
I demand someone come up with a meaningful theory explaining all the results RIGHT NOW!! !

It's all swamp gas.



Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,926

28 Jun 2011, 12:24 am

marshall wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
I demand someone come up with a meaningful theory explaining all the results RIGHT NOW!! !

Do I get extra credit points?


There's a 94% chance that 9/10 you will get two and a half stars if you do this. If you spin it in a way that inflates my ego, there's a 100% chance you'll get 20 stars.


_________________
http://www.voterocky.org/


marshall
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,000
Location: Turkey

28 Jun 2011, 12:37 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
marshall wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
I demand someone come up with a meaningful theory explaining all the results RIGHT NOW!! !

Do I get extra credit points?


There's a 94% chance that 9/10 you will get two and a half stars if you do this. If you spin it in a way that inflates my ego, there's a 100% chance you'll get 20 stars.

Thanks. Now that I know you're that desperate to have your ego inflated I'm going to have to ask for compensation. I'll PM the amount and address to send it to. None of that funny Canadian money either. I want American dollars.



Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,926

28 Jun 2011, 12:43 am

marshall wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
marshall wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
I demand someone come up with a meaningful theory explaining all the results RIGHT NOW!! !

Do I get extra credit points?


There's a 94% chance that 9/10 you will get two and a half stars if you do this. If you spin it in a way that inflates my ego, there's a 100% chance you'll get 20 stars.

Thanks. Now that I know you're that desperate to have your ego inflated I'm going to have to ask for compensation. I'll PM the amount and address to send it to. None of that funny Canadian money either. I want American dollars.


Hey, the Canadian dollar is pretty close to the US dollar right now.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchan ... converter/

And let me say this: I WILL NOT BE TERRORIZED OR JUDGED BY MICHIGANDERS!! !! Sticks and stones may break my bones, but people from sub-national states I have yet to visit can never hurt me!


_________________
http://www.voterocky.org/


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

28 Jun 2011, 6:34 am

Liberals love the State. Libertarian loath the State and accept it in as small doses as is practical. The State is a necessary evil (read Hobbes on this matter), which makes it an evil.

Liberals want to make other people Better. Libertarians don't. Libertarians accept the premise that what is Mine is Mine and what is Yours is Yours. They respect property.

ruveyn