Are you able to detect a high-pitched sound coming from . .

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Are you able to detect a high-pitched sound coming from the TV that other people around you don't seem to notice?
Poll ended at 28 Jun 2011, 6:04 pm
Yes 95%  95%  [ 20 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 9:06 pm

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

Nice how much of a frequency can you hear?

I hear the highest frequency... but 18khz is the sharpest..

gallimaufry
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2011, 9:15 pm

Quote:
oh yes now that I recall my mom could not hear it and my sister could... My sister is not on the spectrum... my mom has aspergers herself but she can't hear it...

I heard it has something to do with age than aspergers... If you're above 35 or something you can't hear it

I am 35, almost 36, and my father is 55. Maybe some people just have more acute hearing. I consider it a curse.

gallimaufry
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2011, 9:35 pm

pree10shun wrote:
http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

Nice how much of a frequency can you hear?

I hear the highest frequency... but 18khz is the sharpest..

I can hear 17khz. The frequency in the USA is approximately 15.6khz for color broadcasts.

You can find another test at the following link: High Frequency Response & Hearing Test

pratchettfan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jun 2011, 1:44 am

WillMcC wrote:
On a side note, there's something wrong with my computer's power supply that causes it to emit a high pitched sound like that of a CRT and it drives me crazy.

I dumped my CRT the moment I could afford a decent LCD. The constant whine from old-style TVs drove me nuts.

About three years ago, I bought a generic PC from a discount store because it had a far better spec than anything out there. From the moment I switched it on, I began to hate it. It whined and whined. I was going to poke about inside to see where it was coming from, but, luckily for me, I found the Digital TV card didn't work. So I took the PC back, got a refund and bought a Dell instead. More expensive and not so well-specified, but very quiet.

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Apr 2015, 3:55 pm

The dog in my house used to bark a lot so my family put in a high-pitch noise maker that responds when there is a sudden loud noise. The machine broke after a week of purchase and it constantly was making noise and I was the only one able to hear it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 1:55 am

when I was younger I could not help but hear the horizontal scan whistle [15.75 cycles] from the back of CRTs. it felt like it was drilling through my skull, I could even hear it in the next room. I haven't heard that sound in at least a decade now.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 9:24 pm

Yes, on many CRT TV's it was really loud and annoying. On others it was somewhat quieter.
It used to piss me off when people used their phones in high school to replicate it and the teacher couldn't hear it.
I got 19 K on that test.