Running is the only thing that keeps me sane :-)

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

arrtgrrl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

Hi guys,
Just wondering if any other people with Aspergers finds solace in long distance running.. For me It's the one thing that helps me when i get overwhelmed from being around people.. I run marathons and plan to start training for 100k trail runs next year.
When I can't run due to being sick or injured i really struggle with social interactions...

Naomi

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2011, 9:20 pm

For me, it's yoga.
Running is nice too, or swimming. Anything that lets me focus on one thing only, and that thing is something that isn't stressful, that I innately know how to do. It's peaceful and rejuvenating.

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 5:58 am

Yes, I fell absolutely the same. It is the only thing that truly helps me getting my head straight, being able to focus my thoughts on only one thing - or nothing at all.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 5:40 pm

Yea! I like running too!

I ran my first marathon on june 11th this year and got 4:21...what's your PR?

What's the farthest you've run?

I plan to try an ultra-marathon sometime when I am out of college.

Have you run shorter races...what are your PR's there?

arrtgrrl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jun 2011, 10:50 pm

Hey guys :-) good to see some other runners :-) The longest i have run so far has been 55ks.. i did a 45k race just recently.. that was hard as it was also up an down mountains.. I much prefer running in the bush than on the road..
I dont really run shorter distances much.. my marathon times range between 3:35 and 3:45 except for my first which i ran with the flu felt awful and wanted to pull out at 10ks that was 4:12..
I am keen to do the north face 100 in the blue mountains next year.. looks beautiful..
Good on you for finishing your first Mara.. they get addictive!

Naomi

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 11:37 pm

That's so cool that you've run those!
And those times, congrats!
Btw, my time on the marathon was not reflective of what I wanted. Because I live in lower elevation, and the race was in higher elevation, it was already a stretch for me.
Not to mention...there were hills. In fact, most of the course was downhill....in comparison: I trained on flat flatness.
Finally, the pacer for 3:50 almost paced us at 3:45 for part of the way. So by mile 11, my legs cramped up and though I had the energy to run, I couldn't move faster than a 10 minute jog. :(
But thanks anyways.
100 miles! That's so cool, good luck!
How many marathons have you done?
Oh, and technically you have done an ultra, so congrats.

Smartgirl56
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2011, 11:22 pm

I just joined the cross country team and love it. While I can only go up to 5-6 miles right now, I would like to train for a half marathon in the off season and eventually a marathon.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 12:07 am

Smartgirl56 wrote:
I just joined the cross country team and love it. While I can only go up to 5-6 miles right now, I would like to train for a half marathon in the off season and eventually a marathon.

What grade are you in?
I was in cross-country for 4 years, and I did a half-marathon in 9th grade, and I recently (after graduating) ran a marathon...Also, what are your PR's?

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 2:21 am

Yes!! ! It's like my meditation, it's the only thing that switches my mind off.

Smartgirl56
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2011, 11:55 pm

It's still summer training, the season doesnt start till next month but I still have to practice. I average 11-12 min miles. I'm about to be a junior and pretty new to running.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 12:02 am

Smartgirl56 wrote:
It's still summer training, the season doesnt start till next month but I still have to practice. I average 11-12 min miles. I'm about to be a junior and pretty new to running.

Oh, yay, summer training is fun. (aside from waking up early, glad I don't have to do that anymore).
Good luck with cross! If you can (ironically) try to get some cross-training in, it makes you faster and stronger. Listen to your coach, but more importantly, listen to your body.

Smartgirl56
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2011, 12:10 am

chrissyrun wrote:
Smartgirl56 wrote:

Oh, yay, summer training is fun. (aside from waking up early, glad I don't have to do that anymore).
Good luck with cross! If you can (ironically) try to get some cross-training in, it makes you faster and stronger. Listen to your coach, but more importantly, listen to your body.

Thanks! I already do quite a bit of swimming and want to do a triathlon. I'm just exited for the actual season to start and be able to do some races

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 9:37 am

arrtgrrl wrote:
I much prefer running in the bush than on the road..

Oh, me too. I run out in the desert around my house. People tell me I'm crazy, which I probably am .. lol. You do have to keep a sharp eye for rattlesnakes. I've encountered a few of them over the years :)

Quote:
my marathon times range between 3:35 and 3:45

Wow! That's really good! My best half-marathon time is 1:47. I don't know if I could do a full marathon.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 10:33 am

CaroleTucson wrote:
Quote:

Wow! That's really good! My best half-marathon time is 1:47. I don't know if I could do a full marathon.

My half is 1:53 and my marathon is 4:21......and the second time is because I underestimated the power of a hill and cramped up at mile 11. I bet if I tried for a half again, I could do better.....that time was from 4 years ago.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 11:00 am

chrissyrun wrote:
CaroleTucson wrote:
Quote:

My half is 1:53 and my marathon is 4:21......and the second time is because I underestimated the power of a hill and cramped up at mile 11. I bet if I tried for a half again, I could do better.....that time was from 4 years ago.

Good god, that's impressive. 8O

to his Interest."

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 11:16 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:
CaroleTucson wrote:
Quote:

Good god, that's impressive. 8O

Thank you. :D I did run cross-country for 4 years previously....so, that mighta helped. :shrug: