Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ames76
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2011, 8:55 pm

Not sure if any of this is Aspie related, or not...

I have a lot of pain issues, I'm almost constantly in pain- headaches, knee pain- arthritis, I guess, and what they are calling tendonitis in my wrists and fingers. At my age, I know that stuff is normal...but my son, who has his diagnosis has a lot of the same issues.

I can't repetitively rub anything, it's a very weird sensation in my fingertips that I cannot handle. I can't give back rubs, or rub a blanket or anything. It really bothers my hubby that I can't massage his back, but I can't help it. Even rubbing my fingers together makes me cringe.

This next one is petty but it bothers me- if I can see a bathroom door from where I'm sleeping, that door MUST be closed. If I can't see it, it doesn't matter, but I have to have it closed if it's within my sight. If I'm in the shower or bath, the toilet lid has to be down. And my house can be messy, I'm definitely not a neat freak, but I can't stand it when my cabinet doors are left open.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 9:07 pm

Pain issues may be coincidence, possibly sympathy pains or psychosomatic.

Rubbing - touch sensitivity.
I have this to a lesser degree, the sensation of light touch to me is very uncomfortable - it feels like the restless feeling I get during an episode of restless leg syndrome or like someone tickling me only without the enjoyment - it's 'just' a sensory issue. It bothers my guy that he can't stroke my skin or some days I'm bothered by hugs or kisses if they're not firm enough.

Doors etc. needing to be shut - yup.
I always put this down to OCD, I'm not sure that's quite the correct explanation for this. It's the feeling of panic I this over things like if I can't feel my fingers getting right into the corner of a handrail, if I turn a light switch on/off if my finger grazes the switch too much to the right/left I have to even it out by turning it off then on again so my finger grazes it as much on the right/left, I don't like doors to be left open, and I don't like the draws or door on the TV unity not being closed and perfectly aligned.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Ames76
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2011, 9:17 pm

Cool, glad to know those answers. There were a couple of other things I wanted to ask, but as usual, I've forgotten. :lol:

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

24 Jun 2011, 12:19 am

You might have sensory overload when it comes to touch. I have it for sights and sounds (the buzzer in my school gym drives me nuts). I actually find rubbing things like velcro and silk very comforting.

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2011, 2:35 am

I can definitely relate to what you are saying about the doors. I believe it to be a part of my AS- Needing things to be as expected, in their place. I become very agitated when things in my home are "out of place". Before I go to bed there are many things that I set to how I like them. It is not an OCD thing because I don't feel compelled to do it in a fear that something bad may happen if I don't, but it definitely brings me a sense of calm when things are as expected.

I painted the inside of my cupboard a few weeks ago and it needs to be aired out, but I feel distressed when I see the doors open during the day so I open them when I go to bed so I don't need to see them. In the morning I shut them without looking at them so they don't frazzle me. :lol: