Attempted social interaction with NT spontaneously combusts

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 10:49 am

Have you ever had this happen to you?

You say something to an NT, and they tell you that you are mumbling and ask you to repeat. So you raise your voice just a little bit, and speak more clearly to them. Suddenly they get mad at you for your improved volume and clarity of speech, that they just asked for. They didn't like your new tone of voice after all.

What gives with these weirdos?

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2011, 10:55 am

Proably that inflection thing.

I think it helps if you raise your eyebrows when they get aggressive and say "I'm confused."

Or not.

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jun 2011, 11:00 am

Yeah; that's annoying. It would be nice sometimes to be able to communicate information without emotion, but that doesn't seem to be possible in spoken language. :?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 12:15 pm

MollyTroubletail wrote:

You say something to an NT, and they tell you that you are mumbling and ask you to repeat. So you raise your voice just a little bit, and speak more clearly to them. Suddenly they get mad at you for your improved volume and clarity of speech, that they just asked for. They didn't like your new tone of voice after all.

I find generally when people do this, they were not amicable to the interaction in the first place and are intentionally giving you a hard time.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Jun 2011, 12:15 pm

This has happened to me many times, although it would take two or three iterations of "speak louder."

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

24 Jun 2011, 11:33 pm

MollyTroubletail wrote:

Yep, happens to me ALL the time. But, that could be because I get severely PISSED OFF when people ask me to speak up, so I say it REALLY LOUD AND CLEAR which seems to piss them off. But, that's ok, because it's retaliation.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

24 Jun 2011, 11:37 pm

Chronos wrote:
MollyTroubletail wrote:

I find generally when people do this, they were not amicable to the interaction in the first place and are intentionally giving you a hard time.

Yep, it's sarcasm. I've "fell" for sarcasm before, though, and I didn't really recognize it until 10 seconds afterwards when I processed all the social environmental cues (Everybody was laughing the second time he said "Can you speak a little louder?", which I continued getting louder as he requested. 10 seconds later, I realized, "Oh, everybody was laughing. He was probably joking the second time he said it.").

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 11:37 pm

Doesn't usually happen to me. I usually get told that the way I talk to people is intimidating. I guess I don't really speak very softly, but it's not like I carry a big stick so I don't see what the problem is.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 11:44 pm

I often get accused of either speaking too softly. When I raise my voice, I'm often told to be quiet or tone it down. Either one can be annoying.

On a side note, do you ever talk to someone who is out of range and assume they can hear you, when they can't? I do this sometimes and wonder if it's related. "I can hear myself just fine, so why can't they hear me?" Logically, I know why, but I have trouble processing that in real time, I think.

Oh well, such is the way of things. :D

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 11:49 pm

I've often been told that my monotonous voice suprises them :shrug:

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 1:22 am

ya happens alot =/

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 1:45 am

It's an unfortunate side effect of theory of mind to be angered by autistic responses. Part of the generalised prejudice against us, like the assumption that autism's something to be ashamed of. It's ignorance that's worthy of shame, and unthinking prejudice as well.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 1:48 am

peterd wrote:
It's an unfortunate side effect of theory of mind to be angered by autistic responses. Part of the generalised prejudice against us, like the assumption that autism's something to be ashamed of. It's ignorance that's worthy of shame, and unthinking prejudice as well.

Yes, prolly seeming different shocks them or makes them think less of the autistics...