Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Stunner2020
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2006, 10:22 am

Hi. Sorry if something similar has been posted elsewhere.

Got my GCSE results back yesterday morning, and I've never been so disappointed in my life. Let me share;

English - C
English Literature - C
Music - C
Graphics - U
History - F
Physics - F
Biology - F
Mathematics - F
ICT - F

Well, they say AS makes people cleverer? Well if it does, how bad must I have ended up if I didn't even have AS?

And now everywhere I turn, my 'friends' are bragging about how fantastic their grades are, and now they've even organised a paintballing party that I haven't been invited to.

I may be thinking about this too much, and I may be being too hard on myself, but I'm pretty let down right now.

Anybody else here just received their GCSE grades?

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2006, 1:48 pm

Even though you might be very bright or intelligent doesen't neccesary mean you do well in school. If you are not taught a way you understand you won't do well.

My IQ is somewhere between 130-140 and I did not get good grades in school either.
Schools are adapted to teach NT kids not aspergers.

Sorry about your bad results.

eet_1024
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2006, 1:58 pm

What is GCSE?

Do you understand the material?

Are you learning the material so that you don't have to look it up?

Are you completing the assignments?

Do you have trouble taking tests?

[Can we get a filter that block a new tread of same title from the same user if posted in the last hour?]

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2006, 12:11 pm

Do you know why the scores are so low? Was it because you had trouble getting motivated, or didn't understand the subjects, or had trouble learning things you were supposed to remember, froze up in the exam, or...?

Don't feel too bad about it - bad grades are disappointing for anyone, but if you were expecting high results then it's bound to feel even worse. You might want to look into re-taking the exams if possible, or even re-taking the entire subjects. If the school won't let you do this, find out if there's a college nearby that will.

I had to do my GCSEs at college, as I'd been home educated therefore didn't have a school to do them at. It was fun - the other students were there for very varied reasons; they'd missed (or done badly at) GCSEs at school because of health problems, missing too many classes, delinquent behaviour (those there for this reason were actually really interesting people - they just hadn't gotten on well with their school systems), and a few had done fairly well at school, but simply wanted a chance to get even higher grades.

The important thing to do is to work out why you didn't get the grades you wanted, and work with your teachers to do what's necessary to improve them. I doubt you're unintelligent, and even if you're not a genius - I've known some people who were far from clever, but managed good results from hard work and perseveration. If you want to improve on your results then you're capable of doing so.

Good luck, and keep us updated with how you get on. :)