Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2006, 3:17 am

I definitely don't like getting TOO warm sleeping... the pillow has to be cool and usually my feet are uncovered because they get too hot... but I still like the feeling of being wedged in tight or almost smothered. I guess it does seem kind of contradictory :S. But it's usually not that hot here, so you can manage to be bundled up without getting sweaty or overheated most of the year, even without air conditioning. For me I can't have the fan on becuase I don't like it blowing on me... hate the feeling of wind and the noise. Maybe I'd get used to it if there was air conditioning everywhere here. The best noise is hard rain drowning out everything else and allowing me to bundle up more tightly inside.

sommerfly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2010, 9:07 am

The 10% of weight is a misconception out there - only recently are OT's realizing that this was based on research done on bearing weight in a standing position - i.e. backpacks. Tina Champagne, an OT is Massachusetts, has done the only research studies that I'm aware of on weighted blankets - she works in the psych community but the research applies to all. She found that much heavier weights were safe, effective and wanted but the participants. At Sommerfly - disclosure here... we make weighted blankets and other items - there is a suggested sizing chart based on years of experience of the OT that designed these. It's a good guideline for the majority of people but some will fall outside of the ranges - check with your OT to see if you or your child likes a lot of pressure, regular or even some like less. also remember that fabric patterns can be distracting and/or alerting instead of calming

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:48 am

SolaCatella wrote:
They sell those?! Wow, and here I was just fantasizing about buying a lead dentist's apron from Ebay to sleep under.

i love those!

i remember reading on the "you might be aspie if" thread something like "YMBAI you go to the dentist for x-rays, and don't want them to take off the lead vest afterward"

so true. forget a blanket with sand in it. i want a lead blanket.

Fraya wrote:
As another asked.. I wonder why people with AS like this sort of thing? I cant think of any logical reason for it.. any ideas?

dunno. it's just super calming. probably same reason as stimming .. it overwhelms all of the little irritating and bothersome input coming in from elsewhere?

sommerfly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2010, 7:34 am

we actually have a blanket that looks similar to a dental vest - but without that pesky lead everyone seems so concerned about now-d-days - it's meant more for sitting than the regular weighted blankets - it's at the sommerfly website.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 May 2010, 11:47 am

I seem to have the opposite of many who posted already. I don't like to be restrained or trapped, and I feel trapped in a sleeping bag or with bedding too well-tucked-in. I'm a sound sleeper, and you can set off a bomb and it won't disturb my sleep. I do sometimes pull the covers over my head, but they're off when I wake up. I can't sleep comfortably if I have a shirt on, or long pants. Loose shorts are all I want on for sleep, even in cold weather.

Charles