How Often Do You Have Meltdowns or Shutdowns?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2011, 4:27 pm

I usually have them once every few days, but when I get really stressed and overwhelmed with life, I can have a few in a day. I can also go weeks without having one.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Jul 2011, 4:30 pm

Idon't really have meltdowns, but shutdowns are pretty common. I have them whenever I go to my dad's house.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 4:44 pm

I don't have shutdowns. I have meltdowns, but not in public. They're usually something like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfNxEuhDcCQ[/youtube]

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Jul 2011, 4:57 pm

SammichEater wrote:
I don't have shutdowns. I have meltdowns, but not in public. They're usually something like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfNxEuhDcCQ[/youtube]

Now I want to subscribe to this guy. :lmao:

Gwenwyn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jul 2011, 5:06 pm

I've had 3 major meltdowns in my life (where I couldnt move or vocalize for hours) but countless smaller ones. I don't get them often now because I take care of myself and leave if I get too worked up. At work, I'll go into the bathroom for a few minutes and breathe, or take the deposit to the bank.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 5:25 pm

It depends on how stressed out I get from work or my relationships

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 10:02 pm

Whenever I must come in contact with people or don't get enough sleep. When I'm alone I get major meltdowns when my mind is obsessed with bad memories of people that have hurt me or angered me...that's when I go into overload.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2011, 11:51 pm

I don't know how exactly to answer that. I have a bit of ODD, so anytime someone (especially my parents) tells me what to do I can feel myself becoming very angry. This usually happens everyday. I also tend to internalize things which makes it hard for me to recognize a "meltdown" as I don't yell, scream, hit things, throw things, etc. I just become very, very angry and start snapping at people. Or sometimes I cry. This happens when I am in large groups of people, which isn't very often (thankfully).

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 2:31 am

I shutdown a few times per week. Often in therapy I'd enter shutdowns, or arrive in such a state. From that I've developed ways to deal with it.

Bill43
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2011, 12:32 pm

I am working very hard upon it, but I am a literalist as an Aspie. I cannot stand things that don't follow set rules and procedures. You can imagine how hard it is then to keep my patience in a workplace.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 2:58 pm

I can't say really. They're very random. Usually they're triggered off by something what is making me feel anxious. Sometimes I can have 2 in one week, then go for 5 months without having one. They usually occur in the winter, because I HATE cold weather and snow, and it delays all the buses which makes me feel anxious, and these days Britain seems to get snow lasting for weeks. (Actually I didn't have many meltdowns this winter because we had a very mild winter - it stayed roughly around 10 degrees all through January and Feburary!)

My mum calls my meltdowns ''nervous breakdowns'', because they are like nervous breakdowns. I scream at the top of my voice, whilst collapsing onto the floor, because my body feels stiff from too much anger and frustration, then afterwards it gives me a bad migrane, painful palpitations, and rapid blood pressure, making me feel sick and shaky, and suffering from a terrible sore throat from all the shouting. Last time I had to have 2 spoonfuls of honey to sooth my throat, and I had to lay down with a hot water bottle on my head to sooth my head. I'm starting to get put off having meltdowns, because of the pain I suffer with afterwards, and nobody likes pain. Also it must be so awful for my dad and my brother to come home from work after a long day, and arriving into an atmosphere with my mum all upset and me recovering from a meltdown, still feeling a bit angry, but also embarrassed and regretful. So I really am trying to reduce the meltdowns, because of how other people might feel.
(To be honest, if my brother or dad was in a nasty temper, I don't get all upset too if it's nothing to do with me. I just hide away to my room, feeling glad and thankful that it wasn't me who caused the atmosphere, and I can feel more good about myself, and let them get on with it).

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

I have meltdowns fairly often. And I think I stay near shutdowns a lot. I have so much stress in my life now that I wonder if I'm near total meltdown/shutdown! :cry:

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 3:40 pm

Full blown meltdowns are very rare for me. But I have mini-shutdowns nearly every day. I seem to be good for about 4 or 5 hours of focused attention and work. Then my brain turns to goo and I just turn down the dial.