Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 6:46 pm

The people who vote for the Academy Awards usually agree with me.

They've never recognized Johnny Depp for his so-called acting. I agree.
They can see right through the act in if people like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. I agree.

They thought Amadeus, Platoon and The English Patient were high quality films and worthy of Oscar gold. I agree.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 9:13 pm

Typically I do agree with professional movie critics, but here are some notable exceptions:

Roger Ebert, probably the most respected movie critic alive, gave "Kick-Ass" one star out of four and called it "morally reprehensible." I guess it kind of is, but man, I have a lot of fun every time I watch that movie. However, it did receive positive reviews overall. (Can't wait for the sequel next year.)

Blade Runner is considered to be one of the best science-fiction films ever and one of Ridley Scott's best works. I found it to be utterly boring. I'm a fan of some of Scott's other films though, especially "Alien," and I look forward to seeing "Prometheus" this week.

I also sometimes disagree on which film in a series is better. For example, I like "Star Wars" more than "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Batman Begins" more than "The Dark Knight," even though most seem to have the opposite opinion.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 10:27 am

RockDrummer616 wrote:
Typically I do agree with professional movie critics, but here are some notable exceptions:

[...]Blade Runner is considered to be one of the best science-fiction films ever and one of Ridley Scott's best works. I found it to be utterly boring. I'm a fan of some of Scott's other films though, especially "Alien," and I look forward to seeing "Prometheus" this week [...]

Indeed, some way here you agree with them, since Blade Runner was absolutelly crushed by critics when it was released years ago.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 6:38 pm

I really don't disagree with movie critics that much, I enjoy a couple of movies that get low ratings but objectively I usually agree with why the movie was scored badly.

Game reviewers on the other hand, I see that venue as nothing but a joke.

RockDrummer616 wrote:

Roger Ebert, probably the most respected movie critic alive, gave "Kick-Ass" one star out of four and called it "morally reprehensible." I guess it kind of is, but man, I have a lot of fun every time I watch that movie. However, it did receive positive reviews overall. (Can't wait for the sequel next year.)

You can still enjoy a movie that get's the review it (probably) deserves. If I'm a food critic and go compare a random hamburger from a diner and a lobster dinner from a 4 star restaurant, of course the latter is going to get the much higher grade and be regarded as culinary art..unless I'm allergic to shellfish. Doesn't mean I can't find the burger tasty. I've never seen Kickass so I'm not telling you your opinion is wrong, just trying to put stuff into perspective, I'm sure people will disagree with me. I think taste is a big factor too and sometimes critics will slam a really good movie when it comes out and then come to appreciate it years later, no one is perfect..but there's usually a reason why film's like Independence Day will score lower than 12 Angry Men,even if you found one very boring and another happens to be a cherished childhood movie.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 5:11 pm

I disagree with critics whenever they give anything I like a bad review. :lol:

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 1:01 am

I read the critic reviews religiously. It's a sure way of knowing whether a movie is worth watching or not. The lower the rating, the better the movie ! ! :D

How do NTs do that?

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 1:02 pm

I am suspiscious of critics because I am sure some of them are paid for their reviews by the companies that make the films.