Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 3:20 pm

People often describe nerds in movies as "socially award" and because of that some people think a lot of nerdy people in pop culture could be people with Asperger's becuase supposedly people with Asperger's are "socially award". What extactaly is "socially akward"?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
People often describe nerds in movies as "socially award" and because of that some people think a lot of nerdy people in pop culture could be people with Asperger's becuase supposedly people with Asperger's are "socially award". What extactaly is "socially akward"?

Well I think its fairly self explanitory.....I mean I have a difficult time with eye contact and I have pretty terrible social skills so to me that is socially akward because it makes social situations akward a lot of the time. I am not as socially akward around people I know well.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm

Not thinking before I speak from time to time. Saying or posting the wrong things at the wrong times.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 3:54 pm

Well, AS is rightfully considered to be the nerd disease. While I am a nerd, I am not like most nerds in that I'm much more socially awkward.

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jun 2011, 4:12 pm

The way I understand it, neurotypical humans have a sort of "autopilot" that smoothly translates their thoughts and feelings into things like body language, facial expressions, and vocal inflection. This mostly takes place on a subconscious level, so it doesn't take much effort-- it just happens.

Aspies do not have this "autopilot," or it does not work as well, so we have to consciously walk through each step in a social situation, and it takes a lot of effort.

Even though most humans aren't aware of the social signals they are sending, they are trained to recognize them in others and can notice when they are just slightly off, so often Aspies appear "awkward." We can improve with practice, though.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 4:28 pm

It’s annoying how so many people equate AS with social awkwardness, as if that’s all there is to the disorder, and as if there’s no difference between social awkwardness and complete social ineptitude.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 4:28 pm

socially awkward people do not know what they did wrong because they do not know the rules...

socially blind people though they are taught rules... the rules do not make sense to them

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 4:40 pm

Jory wrote:
It’s annoying how so many people equate AS with social awkwardness, as if that’s all there is to the disorder, and as if there’s no difference between social awkwardness and complete social ineptitude.

Well I was sort of under the impression being socially akward kind of comes with AS due to the social ineptitude.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 4:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I was sort of under the impression being socially akward kind of comes with AS due to the social ineptitude.

Certainly, people with AS are socially awkward (and more), but I'm talking about the annoying trend of labeling anyone and everyone who's socially awkward as an AS sufferer.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 7:55 pm

Someone who doesn't fit in or someone who has outside interests than the norm, someone who has poor social skills.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

25 Jun 2011, 8:18 pm

Jory wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Certainly, people with AS are socially awkward (and more), but I'm talking about the annoying trend of labeling anyone and everyone who's socially awkward as an AS sufferer.

But, it's true. Almost always if someone is socially awkward, they have AS, no doubt about it.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 8:23 pm

swbluto wrote:
But, it's true. Almost always if someone is socially awkward, they have AS, no doubt about it.

Not in my experience. I've known plenty of people who were socially awkward but had none of the other common AS traits.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

25 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm

Jory wrote:
swbluto wrote:

Not in my experience. I've known plenty of people who were socially awkward but had none of the other common AS traits.

Well your part of the country is anomalous. Just look at the incontrovertible evidence that it's true.

If you take the acronym for "Socially Awkward", it's SA. That's "AS" spelled backwards, meaning they reflect each other as if the AS concept was looking at itself in the mirror. Therefore, it's pretty much the same thing. :lol:

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 8:31 pm

swbluto wrote:
Just look at the incontrovertible evidence that it's true.

Show it to me.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 8:35 pm

Jory wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Just look at the incontrovertible evidence that it's true.

Show it to me.

I already did. :P

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 9:08 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Well, AS is rightfully considered to be the nerd disease. While I am a nerd, I am not like most nerds in that I'm much more socially awkward.

I've always been idenified as a "punk" or "hardcore"....and I'm a chick. When I was a teenager I wanted to dress up in chains and go for the whole punk thing but my mom wouldn't let me. I really wish she would have. People think I am some kind of computer genius when they see the video games I've made with Power Point. I think I might upgrade it to Flash someday but I have a feeling Flash is too complicated. I don't have the paitence for complicated. I work on my games to releave tension and stress, not cause it. When I broke the ice to my best friend and told her I'm autistic she didn't believe me and told me she just thought I was somekind of genius because I'm a walking encyclopedia on zoology. I guess to most people I do appear as a nerd, but to people who know me, I'm either "kind of a punk" or "hardcore" to my two best friends.