Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Lunasa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2011, 8:17 pm

As a seventeen year old, I find it necessary to have Autism-related factions in schools of all sorts. Not just 'special' schools, but regular schools that have a different alignment of people, with different interests and different talents. I feel as if school is too generalized about with several studies of science, biology, and math, and there is hardly any recognition for students who are disabled with Autism. I guess what I'm trying to say is schools are too based off of 'college preparation,'(which is important) when they could be used for other types of works too, such as how to create a social environment for AS students, without money getting in the way. I always thought that there would be a way to do this by creating a budget-line for future years so new Autistic students who are too 'normal,' to fit in with the 'special' school, can join in the normal schools throughout their own group of people.

This would help them without being marginalized so they can feel better in more appropriate situations. As an Aspie, I find that it is hard to introduce myself, and not only would these factions help others learn from each other, but they would also teach the art of introducing each other. Schools these days are full of pompous, stuck up students who feel as if they are better than everybody else, (really, they don't) and veil themselves, and this creates tension for the soft-hearted Aspie. Moreover, there would have to be a campaign with the main staff faculty meetings with the headmaster of the school and the teachers to create a budget plan. This is what I have gathered, but if schools in the US had time and money for these sort of groups, students, I believe, would be exposed to yesterday, but tomorrow would bring up less tension for (hopefully) already being learned.

The discourse between an Asperger's student and an adult has a maturity difference from each line that is slim to none. In other words, because the mentality of an Asperger's student is usually higher than the average teenager, being around professors who are educated in a psychological or perhaps medical field would help them grow as a student, I believe. If an Asperger's child who is atypical to the masses is around everybody who drinks and parties (not to sound biased or whatsoever) then they would feel as if they don't fit in, which is not the intention of any Asperger's-related faction. Perhaps a person who is skilled in more than a couple departments, e.x: linguistics and science, would be able to help the Asperger's child grow.

Furthermore, based off of the consequences such as suspension and detention, or anything that pertains to the behavioral inaccuracies of a child, I feel that it is not in the hands of an Autistic person to go about these punishments. Autistic people need exposure to what is right so they can learn from their social difficulties, instead of being locked away from their school wondering what they've done wrong, even if part of them knows. To again, specify an Autistic-faction, there would be rules and punishments that correspond to the member accordingly, without being unfair in the mean time. If schools gathered the money and found a way to have these groups for only those on the Autistic scale, then I feel today's bullies wouldn't have a 'hand' to touch them, and if they did, they would be distanced from the Asperger's guardian.

cave_canem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2011, 9:54 pm

School also prepares you for dealing with "the real world".

In the real world, there will be no "Autism factions" around to help you deal with your boss when you do something unacceptable. Nor should there be.

This idea of special treatment for those with AS reminds of the "gifted" program that was around in elementary / high school when I was growing up. Under this program, they took the smart ("gifted") children and put them into special classes where the curriculum was tailored to their "special" needs. Although I passed the "intelligence" portion of the testing, I was not considered "mature enough" for the program. And a good thing, too, I think. Because they managed to take these typical (albeit bright) children, label them as "gifted", and then turn them into a bunch of social misfits. By the time they had to re-integrate into the "normal" classes (final few years of high school), they were at an extreme disadvantage both socially and when it came to dealing with the "normal", "typical" expectations of students (ie - do what you've been told to do, when you've been told to do it).

Lunasa

25 Jun 2011, 10:29 pm

cave_canem wrote:
School also prepares you for dealing with "the real world".

In the real world, there will be no "Autism factions" around to help you deal with your boss when you do something unacceptable. Nor should there be.

This idea of special treatment for those with AS reminds of the "gifted" program that was around in elementary / high school when I was growing up. Under this program, they took the smart ("gifted") children and put them into special classes where the curriculum was tailored to their "special" needs. Although I passed the "intelligence" portion of the testing, I was not considered "mature enough" for the program. And a good thing, too, I think. Because they managed to take these typical (albeit bright) children, label them as "gifted", and then turn them into a bunch of social misfits. By the time they had to re-integrate into the "normal" classes (final few years of high school), they were at an extreme disadvantage both socially and when it came to dealing with the "normal", "typical" expectations of students (ie - do what you've been told to do, when you've been told to do it).

I am not saying that at all. You have misunderstood the point, but I'll drink to that. I think I'm perfectly aware of the fact that there will be no 'Autism factions,' in the real world, but it is a preparation for those who need advanced or even helpful classes/courses at best. A way to learn about social behaviors is not necessary? Then I might as well take back the class I had back a few years ago with my councilor and other 'Autistic teenagers,' if that's what you really think. Social misfits for the name throughout the outcome, for which they should not comprehend, for they are too dug into their own worlds at best. I think it's perfectly best for them to find out 'real bullying,' even if it is at the cost of them; courses that are good for them, and courses that are suitable. I think I'll drink to the idea of 'social misfits,' even if I didn't say so earlier, but regardless, feel it is a good preparation even if it doesn't happen in the real world, where there are no teenagers who dress in their 'itsy-bitsy black eyeliner,' gossiping about every other person. (though there are other adults who just never grew up) You may have your opinion, I may have mine, but the point was replicating what has been done in the past, and putting out into an extensible cord to touch, and to relate to a group of other Autistic people which is healthy for them. Chances are, they aren't going to be around those who classify them 'social misfits,' if they aren't around them. I used to hang out with Autistic people in a group, and was probably classified as a 'social misfit,' but it didn't take the justice away from the suitable attention other than goths, whores, ans whatnot. A true innocence redefined throughout these 'Autistic factions,' regardless of what is to come tomorrow, for it is a preparation at best.