Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 8:26 am

Of course! If you walk to your destinations as much as you can it'll certainly keep you healthy and slim. As long as your walking trips don't lead you to a bakers shop. :wink:

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 7:57 pm

Walking is a great exercise program. It's probably the most healthy and natural exercise there is. You don't need to stretch or warm up beforehand, you'll rarely work up a sweat, and you don't risk strain, injury or severe dehydration.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 8:50 pm

I come home drenched in perspiration after a good walk. ^ :lol:

to his Interest."

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 12:56 am

Of course walking is considered a professional athletics sport, I love walking after an intense lower body workout just to ease the muscles.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 6:08 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I come home drenched in perspiration after a good walk. ^ :lol:

I guess it depends on your walking pace, the terrain and the weather conditions :) I can walk for hours without breaking a sweat, but the landscape is flat around here and I never have to walk uphill.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 7:56 am

Wolfheart wrote:
Of course walking is considered a professional athletics sport, I love walking after an intense lower body workout just to ease the muscles.

I actually do the same. I go to the gym in the mornings and a 2 hour 10K walk before dinner, just in time for the Ch4 News and I love listening to podcasts while I'm out and it also burns around 600cals.
I wouldn't consider walking as my sole exercise, there's a ceiling as far as fitness is concerned with it, but it's a good start if you're inactive.

As a bit of a 'protip' I picked up from a Chiropodist, if you intend walking distance it's a good idea to rub a layer of petrolium jelly on your soles, the heels and your toes before putting on socks to prevent blisters. It works.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 2:05 pm

i think it's a great gentle warm up and warm down i just don't do it that much as a mode of transport unless i have time to kill. I think a while back i got to the point that i barely walked and just cycled so my posture was poor. I think it's a great thing to do as it can stimulate your mind and also it's not so engrossing that you can think about other stuff

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 6:35 pm

When my son was a baby I'd put him in his pushchair and take him out for a walk. I'd regularly walk between 7 and 10 miles a day. It was great exercise and I like gardening, so enjoyed looking at other people's gardens while I was out. :)

Over the past couple of years I've put on a bit of weight and for the past couple of months I've eating less and doing more walking. I make time and walk to the supermarket instead of driving, and I am enjoying walking around this area (I moved here a year ago) and getting to know it better.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 3:48 pm

Walking is great exercise. I've always been in good shape because I walk in circles.

Dylanjohnson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2012, 1:58 am

i also like walking after dinner. it is wonderful.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 4:57 am

I love to walk, for exercise and long hill walks to relieve stress - like a reboot for my brain. I haven't been able to get out much this year due to various life issues but I'm looking forward to getting back out there and building my fitness back up. I did lose about four stone (55lb) through regular brisk walking and I don't do diets, 20-25 miles a week over the hills and not snacking on junk and rationing the beer saw it fall off. So yes, it definitely counts as proper exercise.

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Scatmaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jun 2012, 5:31 am

Dear
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jun 2012, 7:24 am

walking is very very effective way not only to lose weight and feel energy but also to effervesce spirits!!

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 7:33 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I do not plan on getting a car anytime soon....I can take the bus for long distances and can otherwise walk.

If you live in the city this is a great way to keep fit and save money and avoid instant death (if you ever work in a scrapyard, you will quickly come to appreciate not driving. It's not like the cops detail the interiors before it gets to the scrapyard, they just take the bodies and any assorted pieces out. The splatter stays.)

I've never had a car. There are some major inconveniences associated with that, but there are workarounds. It is eminently doable. The one big downside for me is not being able to get out to the country very easily.

abm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Jun 2012, 11:22 pm

ohh hell yeah walking is an exercise, try to walk in a road with a slope more than 10 percent, if it is not enough for you. :)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 1:14 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Is this legitimate excercise? I personally think it is and its the way I get most of my excercise.

It can be. If you walk briskly it is. It's good to get some jogs in there as well.