Pregnant women who lose their babies face murder charges

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 1:14 am

Less women having kids, good. It's best if drug addicts don't get pregnant nor smokers or alcoholics because then they be too afraid of going to jail if they can't quit cold turkey.

The world is over populated anyway and there are too many unwanted children in the world and most of them end up in prison in their adulthood. So best if less babies are born.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:47 am

League_Girl wrote:
Less women having kids, good. It's best if drug addicts don't get pregnant nor smokers or alcoholics because then they be too afraid of going to jail if they can't quit cold turkey.

The world is over populated anyway and there are too many unwanted children in the world and most of them end up in prison in their adulthood. So best if less babies are born.

You also have people's natural urges to consider, lots of people know that the world is overpopulated but they still have babies because they really want them (even when not totally planned.)

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:59 am

Asterisp wrote:
cave_canem wrote:
No, a fetus is not a child. So a pregnant woman who uses cocaine or who smokes is not "abusing a child."
In addition, a man or woman who chooses to smoke or use cocaine while caring for a child is not guilty of child abuse unless they actually abuse the child. I know plenty of people who are caring, competent parents and who smoke. These are not mutually exclusive.

They are abusing the 'future child'. It is having consequences for the growth, etc.

Smoking parents are possible, but not when they are pregnant.

And to be complete.,.
yes, I think abortion should be possible in certain cases.

I smoked throughout my pregnacy (given up now). My daughter was normal size and weight and perfectly healthy. Apart from the very occasional cold she's never been sick. I'd say walk a little way in someone else's shoes before you sit in judgment.

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2011, 9:08 am

If a child is going to be kept then it will have to live with whatever damage is caused it during pregnancy.

I have no issues, personally, with this so long as the child's rights kick in only as soon as a mother decides to keep it.

Thus we settle the whole argument "when does a fetus become a child" with the answer "as soon as the mother decides to make it one."

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
I smoked throughout my pregnacy (given up now). My daughter was normal size and weight and perfectly healthy. Apart from the very occasional cold she's never been sick. I'd say walk a little way in someone else's shoes before you sit in judgment.

Yes, my old neighbour got 90 when smoking like a coal plant. But a lot others died of lung cancer. So you are the lucky case, and who says your kid could not have gotten better? Or the damage is not visible yet?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 1:59 pm

K-R-X wrote:
If a child is going to be kept then it will have to live with whatever damage is caused it during pregnancy.

I have no issues, personally, with this so long as the child's rights kick in only as soon as a mother decides to keep it.

Thus we settle the whole argument "when does a fetus become a child" with the answer "as soon as the mother decides to make it one."

So by your statement a child can be argued to be nothing more than property. Sorry, a person is a person regardless of whether or not people want to recognize that fact.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 3:08 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
K-R-X wrote:

So by your statement a child can be argued to be nothing more than property. Sorry, a person is a person regardless of whether or not people want to recognize that fact.

An infant is the product of a woman's body made with her energy and material so an argument can be made that initially a fetus and an infant are property.

ruveyn

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 5:04 pm

Asterisp wrote:
MotherKnowsBest wrote:

Yes, my old neighbour got 90 when smoking like a coal plant. But a lot others died of lung cancer. So you are the lucky case, and who says your kid could not have gotten better? Or the damage is not visible yet?

Any damage would have shown a long, long time ago. She's an adult now. But my point really was that labelling parents who smoke as child abusers is out of order.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 3:52 am

MONKEY wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

You also have people's natural urges to consider, lots of people know that the world is overpopulated but they still have babies because they really want them (even when not totally planned.)

Maybe they be more logical than acting on their emotions if they were too scared of getting in trouble if their unborn child dies because of their addictions. Same as about having sex. But I bet it will cause more abortions.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 4:26 am

League_Girl wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Maybe they be more logical than acting on their emotions if they were too scared of getting in trouble if their unborn child dies because of their addictions. Same as about having sex. But I bet it will cause more abortions.

I'm referring more to women as a whole fighting (or not) their urges. Must be hard for someone who's super broody.
If a woman is a drug addict but wants children (or is pregnant already) they should get all the help they can to quit, since drug addict=/=bad mother.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 1:01 am

LIFE SENTENCE?

Sounds like a hate crime against women because I sure don't see this same justice applied to rapists.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm

So, people must go to prison for murder because their babies miscarried, with investigations into the gestation situation? The states that do this are those that care the least about prenatal care in terms of actually helping out pregnant women, it's sink or swim, but I guess by locking someone for life for being too poor for their baby to survive I guess is part of their Fire and Brimstone vision.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 3:33 pm

Quote:
I'm glad the piece of garbage who beat a pregnant woman with a bat got such a long jail sentence. Now, if only something will happen to him with jail, society will have one less menace in it. I'm sorry, some things deserve severe punishment, legally fair or not.

Chances are he should be well and truly punishable for assault and battery, or possibly attempted murder of the woman, on basis of attacking a human, whether or not that human is expecting.

Quote:
Look at the states that are charging women who lose their children: Mississippi, Alabama, etc; most of these states are thought by the rest of the world as backwards anyway. What's going to happen is that any woman with half a brain and the means to leave will.. Businesses will think about things like this when they chose to move to a state and will avoid the state. These places are cutting their own throat through their reactionary fear and ignorance.

Regarding the emphasized portion above: for some of those women, the means to leave may not be precisely within their reach. How many of these women would it take being left behind in those states, before the (hypothetical) situation around such laws would become unsatisfactory?

Lucywlf wrote:
The state I live in had such a law get axed in committee. I guess somebody actually thought about it.

As am I.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

01 Jul 2011, 9:07 pm

TheygoMew wrote:
LIFE SENTENCE?

Sounds like a hate crime against women because I sure don't see this same justice applied to rapists.

there seems to be an anti-female agenda going forward. They almost shut down our country over budget battles over planned parrenthood. Unknown to most, planned parrenthood does not use 1 dime of goverment dollars for abortions and hasn't since the late 1970's when a law was passed prohibiting that. Instead, all government dollars in planned parenthood goes to women's healthcare and birth control. They actually prevent more pregnancies than they perform by offering low cost/no cost birth control and they also do female cancer screenings. The government knows this, but they act like all this money is going into abortions when the oppistie is true. There seems to be am agenda against women in the US that is gathering steam.

And your right about the rape thing too, some of the states that declare these "murder" laws also have really lax laws on rape to the point of considering a victim an accuser who is not found to be true without evidence other than personal experience...even then they are given a 3 year sentance

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

01 Jul 2011, 9:13 pm

ohh and several states have a law that allows insurance agencies to consider domestic abuse to be a pre-existing condition. As most domestic abusers are men abusing women...then when women get beat up by their abusers they are unable to recieve medical treatment.

mysogeny marches on.

cave_canem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2011, 10:20 pm

jojobean wrote:
ohh and several states have a law that allows insurance agencies to consider domestic abuse to be a pre-existing condition. As most domestic abusers are men abusing women...then when women get beat up by their abusers they are unable to recieve medical treatment.

mysogeny marches on.

Are you serious? That's... I don't even know what adjective to use. Sick? Scary? Sad? Unbelievable?