Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cowscows
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Sep 2012, 10:50 am

psayles56 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Ariel from The Little Mermaid seems the closest to being on the spectrum to me.

I used to have a little mermaid bedroom when I was young!

I love her.

I loved Ariel as a kid, little did I think that she had the same diagnosis as me

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 10:56 am

I like your idea, MagicMeerkat, and the idea of a Disney Princess with an ASD. :)

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 11:31 am

Ariel? Really? What about Merida? She's obsessed with bows, likes to be alone, doesn't "fit the mold" so to speak.

Merida is the one (thank goodness) that really lit my daughter (dxed as) up.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2012, 11:52 am

CWA wrote:
Ariel? Really? What about Merida? She's obsessed with bows, likes to be alone, doesn't "fit the mold" so to speak.

Who is Merida? Maybe not very many people know who that even is.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 2:07 pm

Alfonso12345 wrote:
CWA wrote:

Who is Merida? Maybe not very many people know who that even is.

She's the heroine of Disney/Pixar's newest movie "Brave," and is also the latest princess to be inducted into the Disney Princess canon.

I liked Merida, too. She's awesome. :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2012, 2:39 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I wouldn't go all Mexican Little Red Riding Hood, but I do enjoy the idea of an autistic Disney Princess.

I agree.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 1:50 am

Ganondox wrote:
The quote chain was getting long.

Well, there was a spinoff-show about the girl from Beavis and Butthead, but she is never stated as having AS. As far as I can tell, no. I would really like it for such a show to exist, and I'd honestly prefer if it was not connected to Disney. Does anyone know how you pitch a Tv series?

There is a TV series like that, it's called Parenthood, but it sucks because they portrayed the kid with AS as just a spoiled brat whose parents give him whatever he wants because he's "disabled." I was disappointed too; when I heard they were doing a show involving an autistic kid, I had hoped it would be portrayed more reasonably than it was.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 1:58 am

No, I'm deffinitly against it.

The disney figures for little children don't have Bipolar, ADHD, Aspergers or whatever.
For me they are not even NT.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 8:58 am

Ganondox wrote:
psayles56 wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I wouldn't go all Mexican Little Red Riding Hood, but I do enjoy the idea of an autistic Disney Princess.

Agree! They should probably just make her Caucasian though. Most people I know of with Asperger's are white.

Of course. It would put far too much trauma on the poor kids brains if the main character was a minority in two different ways.

On a more serious note I have to agree that it probably would be better if she was white, for a combination of these reasons. If a Mexican girl was autistic viewers might start associating mexicans with autism as they wouldn't know much about Mexicans or Autism, and most of the Aspies I know, including myself, are white, though I know one or two black ones.

or maybe autistic mexican kids or other racial/ethnic minorities would like to be represented instead of being made invisible by the media at large and apparently autistic people as well? why on earth would people assocaite mexicans with autism? that being said i dislike the idea of disney princesses in general and so am opposed to this and every other princess film.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 9:04 am

It would actually be kind of funny if they made the original Disney princesses into girls with AS. Belle could be obsessed with reading. Ariel could be obsessed with world history. Cinderella could be obsessed with cleaning. Snow White could be obsessed with dwarfism.

Avie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2012, 9:25 am

Disney cartoons were a point of perseveration with me for a long time, almost a decade.

My mother says that Belle from Beauty and the Beast reminded her of me so much that she used that character to describe me to people. In fact, when we were at the theater during the opening scene where she's walking through the town reading while everyone's singing about how odd she is, my mom leaned over and said, "Sweetie, look! It's you!" I whispered back, "Yeah, but people don't sing or talk about how odd I am." To which my mom replied, "They don't sing, but they do talk!" Before that, I had no idea. Half the time, I still don't, and most times, I really don't care. As long as they don't interrupt my reading. Well, at least for something stupid. I mean, if someone gets hurt and needs me to call for help, I hope they interrupt me. But if it's for the purpose of striking up an impromptu conversation regarding meteorology, I'm not interested.

But, I digress. I've always thought of Belle as having AS. Her father seems to have it, too. Then again, a lot of Disney characters seem to display some "quirky" traits that hint at AS and various other conditions. I think that it wasn't the intentions of the writers, however, people with AS have been around for as long as people have been around. When they weren't identified as having AS, they were identified as being unusual, quirky, eccentric, odd, etc. Some adapted enough to fit in on a superficial level and went on to become experts in their field. So, it makes sense that whenever a script calls for someone different, writers would stop and think, "Hmmm...who have I known in the past who struck me as different? Well, there was this girl in high school who was very pretty, couldn't tell when boys liked her, didn't seem to care and always had her nose stuck in a book....ka-ching! That'll do." Even two decades ago, the girl wouldn't have been identified as having AS. She would have just been "unusual." Anyway, that's just my take.

I do think it would be nice to have a Disney princess who was specifically identified as having AS. Maybe someday, who knows?

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 2:45 pm

Not exactly a princess character, but Lilo from Lilo and Stitch seems pretty aspie to me.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 3:20 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
Not exactly a princess character, but Lilo from Lilo and Stitch seems pretty aspie to me.

I always thought so, too.