Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Residual_Biomech
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2011, 2:53 pm

Man, I loved Demon's Souls, this game is gonna kick ***.

http://youtu.be/w6sPHs2EQfc

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 2:50 am

Agreed. It's one of my most anticipated games, along with the Last Guardian and Skyrim.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 3:26 am

Graphics look nice, but other than that it looks like a generic hack-and-slash game. Skyrim on the other hand is going to be awesome.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2011, 11:38 am

Demon Souls looked interesting. However like Demon Souls this game will also be console only so I will never be able to play it :(

Residual_Biomech
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2011, 1:07 am

dunbots wrote:
Graphics look nice, but other than that it looks like a generic hack-and-slash game. Skyrim on the other hand is going to be awesome.

Skyrim will be awesome too, looking forward to it just as much.
Demon's Souls was actually a very unique action-RPG, I can't find any other games quite like it.
You can't just run around hacking and slashing, you have to be careful how many times you swing your weapon, or your stamina will drain very quickly, and you won't be able to block with a shield without stamina.
You can also use magic though, and the game was easier using magic, since you can keep your distance and not need stamina, just magic energy reserves.
There were some cool bosses in Demon's Souls... the levels were rather short though, my only complaint, but due to the games combat mechanics and difficulty, it didn't feel short, and the game lasted about 30 hours first time through.
I have doubts that Dark Souls is gonna be that much different than Demon's Souls, except with bigger, more, and better, but that's fine by me I suppose.

no-cash
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2011, 12:51 am

Dark Souls is my latest obsession. I even got the collector's edition, I'm quite proud of that!

Calling Dark Souls a "generic hack-and-slash" game is almost insulting, though it is understandable that you may think that after watching just a demo. The combat is the meat of the gameplay and it is very deep and tactical. Every weapon type handles differently, the weapon you choose will have a big factor deciding if you defeat an enemy easily or just get murdered. For example, my weapon of choice is a spear in my right hand and a shield on my left, which allows me to block and attack at the same time. But with other weapons, specially the heavier ones, you have to choose when to attacks wisely, lest you will leave yourself open for attacks. This is the advantage the spear has over other weapons. Of course, the spear is capable of less damage than those weapons but is better suited for a more defensive play style.

Also, the game play is affected by many other things, such as equipment, magic, and your stats of course! It's just an incredibly deep and rewarding experience. I've played it to a total of 50 hours and there are still things I am learning about it. I suggest everyone to get this game, even people who aren't that into RPGs.

AspergerGamer64
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2013, 11:19 am

personally i enjoy playing dark souls is one of those games when defeat a boss you feel achieve of accomplish

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 7:01 am

I own Dark Souls, however it is extremely difficult and I haven't made a lot of progress in it.

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 9:28 am

minervx wrote:
I own Dark Souls, however it is extremely difficult and I haven't made a lot of progress in it.

What you need to do is find an area by a fire pit with a small number of enemies by it, kill the enemies, heal at the fire, and repeat. You will continue gaining experience and eventually reach a high enough level to move on. Remember, you have to select the level up option manually, the game will not do it automatically. This is also done at the fire. The game will never be easy, but this method makes moving forward possible without dying 100 times (which, by the way, is a great way to lose all of your accumulated experience). Helpful?

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 10:36 pm

PsychoSarah wrote:
minervx wrote:

What you need to do is find an area by a fire pit with a small number of enemies by it, kill the enemies, heal at the fire, and repeat. You will continue gaining experience and eventually reach a high enough level to move on. Remember, you have to select the level up option manually, the game will not do it automatically. This is also done at the fire. The game will never be easy, but this method makes moving forward possible without dying 100 times (which, by the way, is a great way to lose all of your accumulated experience). Helpful?

thanks! i'm going to give another try.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 2:24 pm

Dark Souls is my absolute favorite game. I've beaten it lots of times and currently on NG++ (newgame++).
Now when I think about it it's actually an interest of mine. Weird never though of it that way.
The games lore is great and reminds me of the way Metroid Prime for GameCube dealt with telling a story through surroundings and item/scanning collection . It's not very hard for me. challenging but not angering or anything.

It was much more fun when it was released especially when it comes to PvP, now days people just use trainers and read guides on how to build these mega dangerous setups that 1-shots opponents.
When everything was new and the Community Wikies were just starting up and didn't have lots of information on everything you just played the game and tried tofigure everything out on your own and when you found a secret it's felt great.

If anyone has any questions about the game or owns it but is not playing because it's hard or confusing then feel free to ask about anything regarding the game.
I feel it's a game every game loving person should play, enjoy and clear. At least once.

There is a very good DS player called EpicNameBro on YouTube that goes through the Lore and does different challenges and game-plays that might be fun to watch and gives a good insight to it's game-play mechanics.

Currently awaiting the release of DS2. Can't wait.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmz1gf3VTaQ[/youtube]

:::)

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 5:07 pm

I love Dark Souls but gave up after The Duke's Achieve. I am finally ok with never winning Dark Souls, the game is simply too difficult for me. I have played up to The Duke's Achieve however with every single character type and have found that magic does make the game a little easier.

The game is brutally unfair, for example there is an early boss that one shots you in about five seconds of you entering the room (Capra Demon).

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 5:51 pm

dcj123 wrote:
I love Dark Souls but gave up after The Duke's Achieve. I am finally ok with never winning Dark Souls, the game is simply too difficult for me. I have played up to The Duke's Achieve however with every single character type and have found that magic does make the game a little easier.

The game is brutally unfair, for example there is an early boss that one shots you in about five seconds of you entering the room (Capra Demon).

Nobody wins in Dark Souls, not even in the end. It's a hell of an adventure.
I don't like magic, never used it. Because it makes things easier. I'm a masochist and I want to suffer through my game-play especially in DS. I don't know how many times people try to beat bosses and give up but I usually get frustrated and pissed off after dying the 3rd time. But I tell myself that it's cool because from what I hear people try and try over 20 times so I cut myself some slack.

What is your obstacle in Dukes Archives? I can help you out with info on what items to use to not die and stuff.

The Capra Demon killed me upon entering as well first time. To make it easier and avoid dying when entering simply use a shield with high stability (doesn't need to be a great shield). Raise the shield and Capra will attack together with the dogs. After their attack sprint to the right around then and go left up the stairs. When you are at the top turn around, shield up and block the dogs that will be on your heels. Bash the dogs and only Capra will be left and probably heading up the stairs by now. With your shield raised back up on the wooden plank at the top of the stairs with target-lock on Capra. Block his hits and then when he's ready for his next attack let the shield down to regain stamina. He will hit you again and then he'll fall/jump down from the stairs and now he'll be under you as you'll be on the plank above. Do a drop attack and repeat 2 more times and he's dead. Or you can fight him in the room by blocking his attack and attacking him yourself when he's in recovery. backup/rollback get your stamina up and repeat.

Oh,.. I have the urge to play now. =)

:::)